Boston awarded NLL team

Sir Donald

EXPANSION TEAM AWARDED TO BOSTON FOR 2008

Tom Ryan named Head Coach; team to play at TD Banknorth Garden

05/09/2007

The National Lacrosse League announced it has awarded a franchise to the city of Boston for the 2008 season. The Boston team becomes the league's fourteenth franchise, and will play its home games at TD Banknorth Garden, the home arena of the NHL's Boston Bruins and the NBA's Boston Celtics. The team also announced former NLL star Tom Ryan as Head Coach. The expansion Boston team will begin play in January of 2008.

"Our league and its member clubs are excited to be in Boston," said Commissioner Jim Jennings. "We have a lot of NLL fans throughout New England, and they will now have a team of their own."

The ownership group will be led by Tim Armstrong, President of Advertising and Commerce for Google. Armstrong is also a former lacrosse player at Connecticut College, where he was a defenseman and team captain.

"We are excited by the growth of lacrosse both here in New England and across America," said Armstrong. "Sports fans of New England will now have a National Lacrosse League team of their own to root for. TD Banknorth Garden is a great venue for indoor lacrosse, and we look forward to building this organization into a legacy franchise here in Boston."

The team also introduced their Head Coach, former NLL player Tom Ryan. Ryan, who retired as a player in 2002, brings nearly two decades of experience as a player and coach to Boston.

"I am excited for the opportunity to build this team from the ground up", said Ryan. "We have a dynamic team owner in Tim Armstrong, and everything in place to build a winning team here at TD Banknorth Garden that New England fans will love."

http://www.nll.com/article.php?id=2944

Sounds like a good idea to me now that they have teams in Chicago and New York. Anyone care to suggest a nickname?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently the NLL plays a 16-game season, plus playoffs.

Oh, so only 8 home games? That's not too bad. I'll have to head down to Portland when the new Boston team comes to town, then.

Boston Saints would be cool.

Something to do with Ireland, Catholicism, and etc. It's a rip of the Celtics, but there can only be so many teams named after the birthing of the US before it gets old.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I love the sound of the Batallion!!

The Saints too, but I agree it might get lost in all the other names of that type.

Of course the NLL is fasinated with adding an x where its not needed (see Lumberjax, Shamrox) so no doubt they'll try it again. ;)

I love the sound of the Batallion!!

The Saints too, but I agree it might get lost in all the other names of that type.

Of course the NLL is fasinated with adding an x where its not needed (see Lumberjax, Shamrox) so no doubt they'll try it again. ;)

well they do have "lax" which is short for Lacrosse so I think there are reasons for that. But I think Detroit should get the next expansion imo. They should go with 16 and also add in a Kansas City, EZ any news on Kansas City being interested?

Well there was something in the rumor mill last year about the owners of the Philly Wings.

Apparently they are from KC?

Last I heard of anything.

I'd love to have a team here, but lacrosse wouldn't draw worth crap. Not enough interest. Indoor Soccer would do better when they come back than NLL.

None of the local universities have LAX, so no fan base is established.

Great to see Boston back in the league.

The 2006-2007 Season:

EAST

x-Rochester Knighthawks (14-2)

x-Buffalo Bandits (10-6)

x-Minnesota Swarm (9-7)

x-Toronto Rock (6-10)

Chicago Shamrox (6-10)

Philadelphia Wings (6-10)

New York Titans (4-12)

WEST

x-Colorado Mammoth (12-4)

x-Calgary Roughnecks (9-7)

x-Arizona Sting (9-7)

x-San Jose Stealth (9-7)

Edmonton Rush (6-10)

Portland Lumberjax (4-12)

x-playoff teams

DIVISION SEMIFINALS

at Rochester 10, Toronto 6

at Buffalo 14, Minnesota 8

San Jose 15, at Colorado 14 (OT)

Arizona 13, at Calgary 9

DIVISION FINALS

at Rochester 14, Buffalo 13 (OT)

at Arizona 9, San Jose 7

CHAMPIONS CUP FINAL - May 13

Rochester at Arizona*

*Rochester is not hosting the game because of a scheduling conflict at their arena.

yeah there already is a platform for the game

Sting vs Knighthawks

In no particular order of preference...

Boston Massacre

Boston Corsairs

Boston Brigade

Boston Siege

Boston Bruisers

Boston Barbarians

As always, Brian in Boston, clutch with the great selection of names. You sir have a knack.

I like my choice in Battalion. But that list is good also.

Oh and gw, check out the profiles of the execs for the Wings....

http://www.wingslax.com/Team/Executives/

I like the Batallion or the Bruisers. The former may be a very apra-po lax name.

I hope the Wings don't move -- they're the only original Eagle-Pro / MILL team left, and I eventually want to go to a game just to say I have.

philly.png

In no particular order of preference...

Boston Massacre

Boston Corsairs

Boston Brigade

Boston Siege

Boston Bruisers

Boston Barbarians

As always, Brian in Boston, clutch with the great selection of names. You sir have a knack.

I like my choice in Battalion. But that list is good also.

Oh and gw, check out the profiles of the execs for the Wings....

http://www.wingslax.com/Team/Executives/

good lord if that isn't the whitest people in the world :P

but yeah I wouldn't doubt them moving the Wings, but I don't think it's going to happen, don't they have one of the highest attendance draws in the league?

also does anyone know what font the Philadelphia Wings is on top?

I suggested the Boston Nor'Easter. New England Nor'Easter would sound better, but it's my understanding they'd prefer a "Boston" angle.

It's kind of a Northern Atlantic form of hurricane. Watch the Perfect Storm for a better idea.

What's a Nor'Easter?

I just figure it's something that hasn't already been used before, is a term used locally, is something massive and powerful, and has good logo potential.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Archived