Boston awarded NLL team

Sir Donald

This can't be called a decent lacrosse leauge until there's a team in the Baltimore-Washington area.

The NLL had a team in Washington a few years back called the Power ... and you know what? The fans didn't give a :censored: about it... and they were a very good team. Your loss is Colorado's gain. Maybe it was the fact they played in the Capital Centre.

Yeah,after the Bullets and Capitals left USAIR Arena, it was just a rundown place to hold trade, horse, and gun shows. Put the team in a joint more people know of, and it could work very nicely.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggested the Boston Nor'Easter. New England Nor'Easter would sound better, but it's my understanding they'd prefer a "Boston" angle.

It's kind of a Northern Atlantic form of hurricane. Watch the Perfect Storm for a better idea.

What's a Nor'Easter?

I just figure it's something that hasn't already been used before, is a term used locally, is something massive and powerful, and has good logo potential.

Haven't you heard of the Greater Lowell Nor'Easters of the New England Football League?

:D

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I suggested the Boston Nor'Easter. New England Nor'Easter would sound better, but it's my understanding they'd prefer a "Boston" angle.

It's kind of a Northern Atlantic form of hurricane. Watch the Perfect Storm for a better idea.

What's a Nor'Easter?

I just figure it's something that hasn't already been used before, is a term used locally, is something massive and powerful, and has good logo potential.

Haven't you heard of the Greater Lowell Nor'Easters of the New England Football League?

:D

Honestly...No. <_<

I had to look that up just now to find out it's little more that a rec league team. "Semi-pro" to you purists.

Doesn't matter. I still say it would make a good nickname.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I have some suggestions...

Boston Musketeers

Boston Reveres (as in Paul Revere)

...heck, I think the Shamrox nickname is a heck of a lot more appropriate for Boston, given the ties to the Celtics.

Forget the Celtics. Chicago has a rich Irish heritage, too. I'm with dsgitlin. Boston Saints. Equitas. Veritas.

I have some suggestions...

Boston Musketeers

Boston Reveres (as in Paul Revere)

...heck, I think the Shamrox nickname is a heck of a lot more appropriate for Boston, given the ties to the Celtics.

Forget the Celtics. Chicago has a rich Irish heritage, too. I'm with dsgitlin. Boston Saints. Equitas. Veritas.

Simple is better, isn't it? Plus, I'm a traditionalist and think most every sports team name should end with an "S." Battalion, to me, is a non-starter.

Saints is perfect in every way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This can't be called a decent lacrosse leauge until there's a team in the Baltimore-Washington area.

but won't happen with the Arena Baltimore has

First Mariner Arena may be a dump, but that isn't the issue. The Blast (MISL) have started to draw decently there again over the last few years despites its many shortcomings. The bigger issue with Baltimore (and it may be the case in Washington as well, but I'm not sure) is that the lacrosse purists around here have never really taken to the indoor game. Just as some outdoor soccer fans can't get into indoor soccer, there are a large number of outdoor lacrosse fans who just don't like indoor lacrosse.

If you look at the current roster of NLL teams, you will notice a lot of markets where fans have had little exposure to outdoor lacrosse. In those markets, indoor lacrosse can be marketed as a hip, new XTREME sport. That approach doesn't work as well in markets where the fans have a history with outdoor lacrosse and can see top level college teams on a regular basis.

Baltimore will draw over 50,000 (maybe pushing 60,000, with 40,000 tickets already sold) for both sessions of the NCAA Final Four on Memorial Day weekend, but the Thunder had trouble drawing 5,000 before they left town. I went to one or two games, but overall the interest just wasn't there.

EDIT -- Back on topic, someone stole my thunder with Sentinels, except I prefer Boston Sentinels.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

New England Whalers. :)

New England Wailers

bob%20marley%20and%20the%20wailers%20-%20exodus.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

In no particular order of preference...

Boston Massacre

Boston Corsairs

Boston Brigade

Boston Siege

Boston Bruisers

Boston Barbarians

Still more suggestions, thoughts and reactions...

Boston Ironsides (No... we wouldn't feature Raymond Burr or a wheelchair in the logo.)

Boston SeaWolves

Boston Battlers

Boston Blast

Boston Blitz (A "sudden, overwhelming attack" needn't be limited to football.)

Boston Beacons

As for a couple of other suggestions...

* I have to believe that the Boston Whalers name would meet with protest from the Brunswick Corporation, parent company and manufacturer of Boston Whaler boats. You'd have to go with New England Whalers, just as the WHA/NHL franchise did.

* As for Boston Saints, I'd instead opt for something along the same lines - namely, Boston Bishops. After all, lacrosse's name stems from the French word crosse, inspired by the crosier carried by bishops as a symbol of their office.

Boston Whalers. No. No whales are caught in Boston. No. What. Ever....Wow.

When the Ravens were in Vancouver I went to a couple of games and loved it lots of hitting and fighting. The tickets are pretty reasonable to. Hopefully Vancouver will get a team back like its been mentioned in the thread. What about Boston Whalers.

Boston Beacons

They could put the Islanders lighthouse logo to good use with that nickname. :D

The University of Massachusetts at Boston's nickname is the Beacons, I doubt ownership would go that route.

Saints and Batallion are my two faves tossed out thus far, but since everyone else is chiming in, might as well make my contribution:

Boston Rebellion.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived