Blue jays identity concept

Phil

Many of you have seen the logo edit that Chris Creamer first proposed and I cleaned up.

However, I have finally finished fleshing out an identity to complement that logo, as my little way of rebelling against the Jayz-ification of my favourite baseball team.

Toronto%20Blue%20Jays%20Logo%20Edit.gif

Primary Logo (edited from two prior Blue Jays logos)

Toronto%20Blue%20Jays%20Secondary%20Logo.gif

Secondary Logo

Toronto%20Blue%20Jays%20Home%20Jersey.gif

Home Jersey

Toronto%20Blue%20Jays%20Away%20Jersey.gif

Road Jersey

229031_feedback.GIF Suggestions, questions, comments, criticisms all welcome!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I love the logos, both primary and secondary.  This is, of course, way better than their real choice.  My only comments would be to put the patch on only one sleeve for the home, add it to a sleeve on the roads, and maybe add some red to the roads as well.  Nice work!
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Pretty sweet.

I's ay a thin touch of red to the road would be nice, but overall, very cool... love the secondary logo.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The home is nice, but the road is bad @$$. I love both hats, and putting the white through standard block numerals looks MUCH better than it could ever be described. As was previously stated, looks alot better than what the ended up using. Those are great.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Allow me to be the Simon Cowell of this concept...

It's okay, average if you will. I-ever since I actually paid attention-have never gotten why they have red. If you look at a blue jay in real life, there is not one speck of red. I'm not a big fan of the home script. I don't think a two-line script works. I don't like that we (including myself) as a whole feel the need to stick a maple leaf on every Canadian concept. Anybody with half a brain would know Toronto's not in the USA. I don't want to come off as rude, but that's what I think.

I also realize I'm in the minority, but I like the Jays new look. It actually uses blue jay colors.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

the work mark reminds me of like labatte genuine draft or labatte blue or something i dunno why

I thought the same thing, your not alone.

Overall good job though, a vast improvement over what they have now...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I also, do not understand the obsession with putting a maple leaf on every damn thing canadian ever. Can a canadian person explain this to me?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I am feeling a bit meh on this concept having looked at it a couple of times. Not bad but it really strikes me as a design made by somebody who hates the new colors. Live with it maybe you'll get use to the Granite Jays.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Anybody with half a brain would know Toronto's not in the USA. I don't want to come off as rude, but that's what I think.

u would be surprised. im from toronto, currently living in tampa for a year to take of advanced placement history class. people at the school im attending asked me wear i was from, i responded toronto. they thought toronto was in new jersey! ???

to answer the question about the maple leaf on every canadian concept, it simple. theer are only two canadian baseball teams. the expose are only 1/2 canadian acctually. so the jays have to appeal to canadians who dont live in toronto. the same goes for the toronto raptors. the toronto maple leafs were called such because con smyth (the man who bought the toronto st.pats and made them the maple leafs) served in the canadian military, which has a mple leagf badge on their hats. the ottawa senetors have a leaf in the "peace tower" logo because ottawa is the capital of canada.

as for this blue jays desighn, i have to ask nitro a question:

how can you make something so great whan doing this for free, but the people on the jays payroll came up with c*ap?

Allow me to be the Simon Cowell of this concept...

It's okay, average if you will. I-ever since I actually paid attention-have never gotten why they have red. If you look at a blue jay in real life, there is not one speck of red. I'm not a big fan of the home script. I don't think a two-line script works. I don't like that we (including myself) as a whole feel the need to stick a maple leaf on every Canadian concept. Anybody with half a brain would know Toronto's not in the USA. I don't want to come off as rude, but that's what I think.

I've never seen a midnight green Eagle, a blue Lion, a a carolina blue Panther, a teal Jaguar, a lime green Blue Jacket, a red and blue Cub, a green Buck, a teal Hornet, a blue Maple Leaf (you get the picture) before either. It's the creative liberties of being a logo designer. Not to mention the fact that red happens to be the colour of the maple leaf on the flag, so it's logical that a maple leaf in this concept would also be red.

...and it's not outrageous to think that in a year or two, Toronto could be the last Canadian team out there. It was a good enough reason for the Raptors to emphasize Canadiana in their logo, it'd be a good enough reason for the Blue Jays as well.

Great set of comments vic, I appreciate your thought into the subject.

THANK YOU to everyone who's responded so far, I've really appreciated reading your thoughts. Keep the feedback coming!

A few things regarding the concept. Hopefully I managed to get the idea across of a fusion between their current script (which, apart from the 3D effect and the seemingly forced attachment to the bird element of the logo, isn't thaaat bad) and their original unique typeface.

I tried to emphasize the Canadian effect on the home jersey, but since there's really no need to impress or appeal to the Canadian-ness of Americans (except for places like Tampa, Seattle, or Minneapolis, where Canadians living in or near the US might come to see their team), I left the red out of the road jersey.

The sleeveless road jersey is another of my little rebellions, this time against the tyranny of bland colours on road jerseys. I think the blue sleeves add some more flavour than a more traditional sleeved jersey would allow for.

And Cianfrocco, thanks for the one sleeve comment. I'm more used to doing hockey concepts, where everything on the left shoulder ends up on the right shoulder (unless you're Atlanta)... having looked into that a bit, I realize that more often than not baseball leaves patches on one side of the jersey only. I'll fix that. Thank you!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I like it.  

As far as my opinion on the red,  I like the maple leaf....and last I saw a Olympic hockey game and they one the medal..the Flag was red (ha ha..just a  little joke)

Also, red is the "unofficial secondary" color of a baseball.  So, I don't have a problem with red.  I actually would like a solid red number on the front of the road jersey.

I did get the reference to teh "TUBAL" lettering that the jays first used in the 70's.

Overall, the design is awesome.  

IMO, I think the best era for Baseball uniforms was the 70's. Everyone had a colored uniform of some sort.  You could actually look at a game and tell who was playing.  The white vs. Grey sucks.  If I wanted to see white and gray,  I would get rid of my 55" HDTV and get a 13" BW antique model.  PUT SOME COLOR back in baseball (legaleze: no racial, ethnic or gender offense meant!)  :D

Anybody with half a brain the toronto maple leafs were called such because con smyth (the man who bought the toronto st.pats and made them the maple leafs) served in the canadian military, which has a mple leagf badge on their hats.

as for this blue jays desighn, i have to ask nitro a question:

how can you make something so great whan doing this for free, but the people on the jays payroll came up with c*ap?

That's actually not the official story of the Leafs name... but that has nothing to do with this topic.

BTW, SyPhi designed it, not nitro... besides nitro's too busy designing fantasy concepts to do anything for real   :;):  :D

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Just a quick note... the uniforms have been slightly edited...

The TBJ patch has been removed from the right sleeve, after Cianfrocco reminded me (thanks again) that most baseball uniforms do not have the same patch on both sleeves (this is in stark contrast to football and hockey uniforms, which I am much more used to designing).

Also, the inside of the neck area has been changed to blue to more accurately reflect the effect of having a blue under-T-shirt.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived