New Orioles Look for 2008?

Bill813

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope so. The O's unis are boring. Their logo is too.

Yes, they certainly pale in comparison to the flashy and exciting duds of the Red Sox.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

But the Sox look is classic because those have always been their uniforms. The O's are trying to be falsely classic with their current duds. They have had many superior uniforms in the past compared to their current ones.

But the Sox look is classic because those have always been their uniforms. The O's are trying to be falsely classic with their current duds. They have had many superior uniforms in the past compared to their current ones.

I guess I understand your point, but I disagree with you. Other than the cartoon bird era, the Orioles have always worn something similar to what they have now. Even in the cartoon bird era, they used orange cursive script, just without the tail/underline. The current look may represent a bit of fine tuning, but I don't think it is "falsely classic". That would be the Astros, with their pinstripes and script wordmark.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

I guess I understand your point, but I disagree with you. Other than the cartoon bird era, the Orioles have always worn something similar to what they have now. Even in the cartoon bird era, they used orange cursive script, just without the tail/underline. The current look may represent a bit of fine tuning, but I don't think it is "falsely classic". That would be the Astros, with their pinstripes and script wordmark.

Agreed, their look is classy and unique, very recognizable with the black and orange. Hopefully all this means is a return to the "Baltimore" road jersey. And maybe adding back a sleeve patch, I always liked that swinging bird they had 3-4 years ago.

They are one of the few teams that would benefit with black in their scheme...a return of black in this case. I'm not pushing for a comeback of the black jersey, but it looked great on the numbers and nameplates, IMO. To my eyes, the orange has also changed, to kind of a whitish hue. Something is off, I don't know what.

No they havent? The Red Sox didn't adopt their current Home Uniform full time until 1936, rougly 35 years after their inception. 11 different Home Jersey's appeard in those 35 years previous to their current duds. As a matter of fact, their current Road Jersey's appeared during the 1936 and 1937 seasons but werent seen again until 1972 as an alternate (although it was pullover style and didn't have names). They stayed until 1978 when replaced with their "classic" Boston block script in navy, only to re-appear in 1990 and have been around ever since.

So to recap, the Red Sox have been around since 1901. In those 106 years, they've used 12 different Home uniforms and 9 different road uniforms. The block Boston script was used for 52 years, 25 more years than what they currently use. Their current duds (Home & Away) have only been used together for the past 17 years. Now I do agree it seems as though the Red Sox have used the same uniform for nearly forever, but it's untrue; and I absolutely hate when people mistake facts, especially when it comes to the Red Sox.

They are one of the few teams that would benefit with black in their scheme...a return of black in this case. I'm not pushing for a comeback of the black jersey, but it looked great on the numbers and nameplates, IMO. To my eyes, the orange has also changed, to kind of a whitish hue. Something is off, I don't know what.

I have to disagree with you, too. :D

I think the current look is a perfect blend of black and orange, though I would have no problem if they went back to using the all black hats full time. The mid-late 90s - early 2000s look (see any pictures of Cal's 2131 game) were way too black to me. On top of that, the black piping made them look too busy.

I like what they have now, because the orange text/numbers with black outlines pop a lot more than the black. My favorite Orioles look was probably the 1989 look (see below), but even that would have worked better with orange text and numbers on the road set.

al_1989_baltimore.gif

I respectfully disagree as well. I don't buy it when people use the length of time that something has been around as the benchmark for whether it is good or not, or if it should change or not. In other words, you can't change something because its been that way for ever. I've seen many designs and logos that have been around for a long time and they're awful. I think the reason why the Red Sox uniforms work right now is that they are relatively simple and the font works on the jerseys...not because they've been that way forever because they actually haven't been that way forever.

I think the Orioles will have a winner if they stay with the script on the jerseys, but bring back 'Baltimore' in script on the road unis.

No they havent? The Red Sox didn't adopt their current Home Uniform full time until 1936, rougly 35 years after their inception. 11 different Home Jersey's appeard in those 35 years previous to their current duds. As a matter of fact, their current Road Jersey's appeared during the 1936 and 1937 seasons but werent seen again until 1972 as an alternate (although it was pullover style and didn't have names). They stayed until 1978 when replaced with their "classic" Boston block script in navy, only to re-appear in 1990 and have been around ever since.

So to recap, the Red Sox have been around since 1901. In those 106 years, they've used 12 different Home uniforms and 9 different road uniforms. The block Boston script was used for 52 years, 25 more years than what they currently use. Their current duds (Home & Away) have only been used together for the past 17 years. Now I do agree it seems as though the Red Sox have used the same uniform for nearly forever, but it's untrue; and I absolutely hate when people mistake facts, especially when it comes to the Red Sox.

Chill out. I didn't mean 'always' in a literal sense. I just used the word to make a point. Sorry if I misled you. I also excluded the away uniforms (boston in blue block) because they have never been that consistent and I honestly would like to forget them altogether.

I saw the thread that is being refered to here. It sounded like Baltimore is coming back to road uniforms. But it was also refered that the O's may make a modern look. That worries me a bit. I'm all for a uniform change, because the current set has only known losing (starting in 1998 the first of the past 9 losing seasons). Personally I thought it was very stupid to change after a playoff year (most crappy teams change then turn it around). I'm just worried will worry some pretty solid uniforms. However if there is a modernization of the cartoon bird, I may be all for it.

PATONE, do you still get info on MLB uniform changes. If so, is there anything you could share without getting in trouble?

I always felt if the Orioles went with this style, but changed the word script to Orange and the numbers to black instead, it'd be perfect! Also, keep the orange visor on the cap.

40_jconine.jpg

40_mmussina.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

But the Sox look is classic because those have always been their uniforms.

That is so insanely incorrect it makes me sad.

The BoSox have been around since 1901 and their current road jersey was changed in 1990 and their home jersey was changed in 1979! Dressed to the Nines

Please do some research before making idiotic comments. <_<

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

But the Sox look is classic because those have always been their uniforms.

That is so insanely incorrect it makes me sad.

They've only worn the same jersey since 1990! Dressed to the Nines

Please do some research before making idiotic comments.

That was already covered a couple posts ago.

Please read all posts before posting.

Chill out. I didn't mean 'always' in a literal sense. I just used the word to make a point. Sorry if I misled you. I also excluded the away uniforms (boston in blue block) because they have never been that consistent and I honestly would like to forget them altogether.

Only 2 Uniform styles in 79 years isn't consistent?

I always felt if the Orioles went with this style, but changed the word script to Orange and the numbers to black instead, it'd be perfect! Also, keep the orange visor on the cap.

40_jconine.jpg

40_mmussina.jpg

Those were my favorite Orioles uniforms ever, especially having the Orioles script in black. I'd prefer a change back to this, with the all black caps. Put Baltimore on the aways and you have yourself a winner. ^_^

Archived