New Orioles Look for 2008?

Bill813

I always felt if the Orioles went with this style, but changed the word script to Orange and the numbers to black instead, it'd be perfect! Also, keep the orange visor on the cap.

40_jconine.jpg

40_mmussina.jpg

Those were my favorite Orioles uniforms ever, especially having the Orioles script in black. I'd prefer a change back to this, with the all black caps. Put Baltimore on the aways and you have yourself a winner. ^_^

I have to agree as well. Even though I'm a Red Sox fan first and foremost, I've always liked the O's because my godfather was a fan of them back in the 70s and 80s. Then I visited Baltimore with my family in the mid-90s, and just loved the place (still one of my favorite cities) and that mid-90s look was perfect. That being said, I 100% agree that the O's should revert back to that look...and throw in the old "Baltimore" script road jerseys for good measure.

Leopard, those style guide pics that show the orange jersey...did the O's ever wear that in 1989 during the regular season? I definitely remember the home white and gray road, but never knew they had an orange alt, other than their BP/ST jersey. What's interesting in that pic is the orange stirrups which are only worn with the orange jersey...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got to have the smilin' bird on the hat, just like the Jim Palmer era.

The current pigeon on a hat blows.

Amen. But only if they go with the 1966-74 hats without the white front panel. I'm too young to remember the '83 World Series, so the white front panels scream 0-21 to me.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I don't have time to go into detail on this, but there have been many, many tweaks and changes (some minor, some not) to the Orioles uniforms since 1995. Some of them I've agreed with, some have really, really irritated me. I woudn't mind a return to "Baltimore" on the road jerseys, and would definitely welcome a return to the 1966-style cap, but I'm really afraid of letting the people currently in charge of this team make a major change.

Having said that, they're so freakin' slow to do anything, that I doubt there will be a change in 2008.

Leopard, those style guide pics that show the orange jersey...did the O's ever wear that in 1989 during the regular season? I definitely remember the home white and gray road, but never knew they had an orange alt, other than their BP/ST jersey. What's interesting in that pic is the orange stirrups which are only worn with the orange jersey...

I honestly don't remember if they wore the orange jerseys or not, though I would say yes if I had to guess.

As for the stirrups, they started 1989 wearing the orange stirrups with the home uniforms. During a rough stretch, someone suggested wearing the black stirrups to shake things up. They snapped out of it, going on to nearly win the AL East, and they've worn the black stirrups ever since.

Overall, I have to say I'm surprised to see how many people on the board seem to prefer the set with the black lettering and piping. Most of my friends around here prefer the orange lettering (maybe because the Orioles always used the orange script when we were growing up and the Orioles were good).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You've got to have the smilin' bird on the hat, just like the Jim Palmer era.

The current pigeon on a hat blows.

Ugh. I don't think I could disagree with this any more than I currently do.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm curious to hear what Oriole fans want.

To me, the best Oriole look was in 1970, before the sans-a-belt look and during winning seasons.

The biggest thing ever O's fan wants is Baltimore on the road jerseys. I mean it is much bigger than most people would think. Here is a link to the fan protest site with a list of complaints against Angelos. Number 6 involves putting Baltimore on the road jerseys.

I've also heard alot about returning the cartoon bird (I heard on a local radio station just last week). We were most succesful with it, so I think people want it back.

Personally I'd like to see Baltimore on the roads, of coarse. A return of the cartoon bird. But I think as a sholder patch (like the Reds' current set), with maybe a B on the hats. However I'm not sure how the B would look. It can't be a rip off of the Boston or Brooklynn one, or bland like the one they wore right before the cartoon bird. If nothing could work, maybe just update the cartoon bird and stick it on the hat. Also I'd like to see Orange lettering, and the black alt replaced with an orange one.

Isn't it true Angelos won't have the name Baltimore anywhere near the O's? They advertise in the local paper here (a joke considering where they were 10 years ago with selling tickets) and there is not one single mention of the fact they play in Baltimore. It's just 'Orioles'.

And I HATE that bird. Bring back either cartoon bird or the one they used in the 90s. The current bird is awful.

Bring back the Whale!

Isn't it true Angelos won't have the name Baltimore anywhere near the O's? They advertise in the local paper here (a joke considering where they were 10 years ago with selling tickets) and there is not one single mention of the fact they play in Baltimore. It's just 'Orioles'.

If there isn't a out-and-out ban, it is pretty close. Angelos is afraid that people from outside the Baltimore Beltway will not come to games if they realize the Orioles play in Baltimore, not the jurisdictions of those fans. It is quite pathetic actually.

Angelos' position is part of the reason the Ravens have the very forced B in their primary logo. The Ravens are sensitive to the fact that Angelos has pissed off a lot of people by avoiding Baltimore references, so they go to the other extreme and remind people of the link every chance they get.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

If there isn't a out-and-out ban, it is pretty close. Angelos is afraid that people from outside the Baltimore Beltway will not come to games if they realize the Orioles play in Baltimore, not the jurisdictions of those fans. It is quite pathetic actually.

Angelos' position is part of the reason the Ravens have the very forced B in their primary logo. The Ravens are sensitive to the fact that Angelos has pissed off a lot of people by avoiding Baltimore references, so they go to the other extreme and remind people of the link every chance they get.

I think the Ravens have done a good job with both Baltimore the B and the state of Maryland (with the use of the state flag in the logo)

I think the Ravens have done a good job with both Baltimore the B and the state of Maryland (with the use of the state flag in the logo)

I generally agree. I love the shield logo with the elements of the state flag/crest. The only part that doesn't work for me is the primary/helmet logo. I think the B looks forced in that logo.

Maryland does have one of the best state flags. I am trying to think of ways for the Orioles to incorporate it into thier look. That way they can place Baltimore on the road jerseys and still show people outside of the Beltway that they are important.

Maryland does have one of the best state flags. I am trying to think of ways for the Orioles to incorporate it into thier look. That way they can place Baltimore on the road jerseys and still show people outside of the Beltway that they are important.

That is a good idea (I also love the Maryland flag, though I may be biased), but what about the Pennsylvanians, West Virginians and Delawarians (Delawarites?)? We can't slight them.

That is a good idea (I also love the Maryland flag, though I may be biased), but what about the Pennsylvanians, West Virginians and Delawarians (Delawarites?)? We can't slight them.

The Ravens haven't worried about that with their crest. I think people will follow their favorite team no matter what a uniform looks like. I would guess that none of the Sabres fans changed to a different team because of the new uniform.

I don't understand why some people would feel unimportant or slighted if the city name was on the road uniform. The team name is the "Baltimore Orioles." Having "Baltimore" on the uniform is just an act of putting part of the team's name on the uniform. No big deal.

I'm an Astros fan who doesn't live in the metro Houston area, and it doesn't offend me to see the Astros with "Houston" on the road uniforms. In fact, I like it and I'm glad they went back to using the city name on the road uniforms when they went to blue and gold in '94. Most teams do it and all should, just based on baseball tradition.

The Ravens haven't worried about that with their crest. I think people will follow their favorite team no matter what a uniform looks like. I would guess that none of the Sabres fans changed to a different team because of the new uniform.

Exactly. That is why Angelos' stance on Baltimore on the road uniforms and/or the use of the city name in general is so ridiculous (rediculous, even :P ). He could throw a simple bone to a lot of the locals who feel like Angelos is afraid to take pride in the city while facing no appreciable downside.

A large number of people mistakenly believe he took Baltimore off the road jerseys, when that was actually done in 1972 or 1973. However, he has had ample opportunity to put it back since fans starting raising the issue. Instead, the best he has done is to say something to the effect that asking for it is "not an unreasonable request."

The real irony in the whole situation is that Angelos is a big local player and has done a lot of good in the city, as a developer and philanthropist. Meanwhile, he more or less turns his back on the city when trying to market his baseball team.

Archived