New Orioles Look for 2008?

Bill813

I think the Ravens have done a good job with both Baltimore the B and the state of Maryland (with the use of the state flag in the logo)

I generally agree. I love the shield logo with the elements of the state flag/crest. The only part that doesn't work for me is the primary/helmet logo. I think the B looks forced in that logo.

Agreed. It looks even worse on the other side of the helmet when the 'B' faces the opposite direction of the bird head. This is a prime example of why you have to be careful when incorporating any kind of prominent lettering in a helmet logo. In this case the 'B' is so stylized that it sticks out like a sore thumb when reversed. They should just create a swooping bird logo or something along the lines of what they used to have and replace the current decal because it is horrible. Its too bad because I think they have one of the best color sets in football.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Ravens have done a good job with both Baltimore the B and the state of Maryland (with the use of the state flag in the logo)

I generally agree. I love the shield logo with the elements of the state flag/crest. The only part that doesn't work for me is the primary/helmet logo. I think the B looks forced in that logo.

Agreed. It looks even worse on the other side of the helmet when the 'B' faces the opposite direction of the bird head. This is a prime example of why you have to be careful when incorporating any kind of prominent lettering in a helmet logo. In this case the 'B' is so stylized that it sticks out like a sore thumb when reversed. They should just create a swooping bird logo or something along the lines of what they used to have and replace the current decal because it is horrible. Its too bad because I think they have one of the best color sets in football.

What about using the Raven head without the B?

They already have two great raven logos:

http://www.chriscreamer.com/logo.php?lo=310

http://www.chriscreamer.com/logo.php?lo=311

Either one would be better than the ugly Heckle and Jeckle thing they wear on their helmets now.

I couldn't agree me more, especially about the second one. :P

I like the shield too, but I was disappointed when the took they first one off of the sleeves.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

They already have two great raven logos:

http://www.chriscreamer.com/logo.php?lo=310

http://www.chriscreamer.com/logo.php?lo=311

Either one would be better than the ugly Heckle and Jeckle thing they wear on their helmets now.

I couldn't agree me more, especially about the second one. :P

I like the shield too, but I was disappointed when the took they first one off of the sleeves.

That's because some jacknut decided to raise such a big stink about that spread-wing logo, claiming he designed it, and was trying to get "compensated for his efforts".

I don't remember how that all played out, but that type of thing right there is precisely why the NFL will not allow its franchises to solicit designs from the general populous (read: any of us). They have to go to or through an established, trademarked firm, such as Rickabaugh and Radom and them type of firms.

Sucks, too, because I done seen some thangs up in here that would put they behinds to shame...(but then, I think we all have said that about something in the Concepts boards every here and now)...

Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe I should go revisit my Ravens concept I started so long ago...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Were I given the chance to redesign the Orioles, I'd make very minor changes. The finished result would have these characteristics:

1. Baltimore on the roads. In orange. The big leagues have two black-and-orange teams; the other one uses black as a primary color, orange as a secondary. The Orioles need to do the reverse.

2. Black jersey-front numbers.

3. Orange numbers on back with black names.

4. A slightly simplified ornithological bird, not a cartoon. This is supposed to be a big league baseball team, not a fast-food restaurant. Dignity matters. Plus, the ornithological cap logo has much more history behind it. But needs simplification, not quite to the point of cartoonishness, but to the point where a reasonably talented 12-year-old could draw it.

5. One all-black cap, one black cap with an orange bill. Home or road, take your pick, just so long as one of each remains.

6. An orange alt cap with a black B, or a white B with a black outline. I hate alts as a general rule, but they're pretty much mandatory, so they should at least serve some purpose. In this case, giving Baltimore an official B cap. The B would be inspired by the B on the seats at OPACY.

7. Piping? Maybe.

8. You know the tail feathers from that cartoon Oriole logo? The tail feathers would show up somewhere, perhaps on the sleeves.

20082614447.png

6. An orange alt cap with a black B, or a white B with a black outline. I hate alts as a general rule, but they're pretty much mandatory, so they should at least serve some purpose. In this case, giving Baltimore an official B cap. The B would be inspired by the B on the seats at OPACY.

Pic?

My Orioles dream set:

Home (3 jerseys) matte white sleeved / matte white sleeveless (Sunday day games only) / orange sleeved. All with black piping on the sleeves, collar and placket. "Orioles" in a slightly cleaned up (especially in the transition from the second "o" to the "l" in "Orioles") version of the current UNIFORM script (not the logo script, which is different) in orange/black/bright white. Earlier version bird swinging the bat logo on the left sleeve of both sleeved jerseys.

Current home cap remains for night games. White cap with orange bill and cartoon bird head for Sunday vest kit.

Road (two jerseys) gray and black sleeved jerseys. All with orange piping on the sleeves, collar and placket.

"Baltimore" in the traditional 60s script in orange/black/white.

Current road hat remains. Sleeve patch same as home kit.

All jerseys feature 4" front and 8" back pro block numbers in orange/black/bright white. All NOB are orange/black/white, except for the Sunday vest, where the NOB is plain black. All NOB are standard block, arched as per the current jerseys.

I'd love to put these up as concepts, but don't have the tools, time or mad skills to do so.

Pic?

Best I could find:

camden%20yards%20figural%20seat.jpg

All elegance and curlicues. It has an urbane Gilded Age feel, which is in line with the civic identity Baltimore tries to project. Also Kind of like the B's on the cover of the recent Babe Ruth book:

0385514379.jpg

20082614447.png

A local radio station confirmed that the Orioles have requested "Baltimore" be on the 2008 road jerseys.

WNST

Damn, you scooped me. If I only didn't have to run out the door right after getting to the office. I could have beaten you by about 20 minutes.

Either way, I will believe it when I hear it, though Drew Forrester does seem to have some reliable connections.

As for the BB on the Camden Yards seats, my recollection is that it is supposed to stand for "Baltimore Baseball Club" and is based on logos from the 1800s. I'll try to see if I can find confirmation and/or a picture of the old logos.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

A local radio station confirmed that the Orioles have requested "Baltimore" be on the 2008 road jerseys.

WNST

As for the BB on the Camden Yards seats, my recollection is that it is supposed to stand for "Baltimore Baseball Club" and is based on logos from the 1800s. I'll try to see if I can find confirmation and/or a picture of the old logos.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the seat design -- if I recall that's actually a big C behind/between the two B's.

As for the addition of Baltimore to the roads, that right there would remove a very large portion of my justification for hating the Orioles.

20082614447.png

I was just about to post the article too. Great news. Hopefully its true. I know Nestor Aparicio, owner of WNST, has a vendetta with Angelos and the O's. So they certainly wouldn't be getting any information straight from the O's. If it is true, I know I'll be getting a Baltimore jerseys as soon as I can.

I always liked the cartoon bird on the Orioles caps. I'm one of the older guys here (42) and the cartoon bird was the logo when I was a kid. The current, realistic bird is nice, but boring.

WNST

I'm pretty sure you're right about the seat design -- if I recall that's actually a big C behind/between the two B's.

Here is another image of the seat logo . . . adorning the cover of a book that I must now buy.

080185833X.jpg

Archived