New Orioles Look for 2008?

Bill813

I would be happy with simply putting the name of the city on the road uniforms and calling it a day. Everything else might be splitting hairs the more I think about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that would be the only major change while they make only a few other minor changes to the home uni.

I've always hated the cartooney oriole head on the hats they wore in the 80's. Reminded me of someone that Woody Woodpecker would hang out with.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They already have two great raven logos:

http://www.chriscreamer.com/logo.php?lo=310

http://www.chriscreamer.com/logo.php?lo=311

Either one would be better than the ugly Heckle and Jeckle thing they wear on their helmets now.

Put the first one on the sleeves, and the second one on the helmet. Those two changes would propel the Ravens set to the top 5 of the league.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning's Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles advised MLB in April that the team was "considering" making changes to the road uniform. However, the Orioles have not formally notified MLB of a change and, according to "one team source", they are unlikely to do so before the May 31 deadline.

So much for an easy way to make a gesture to disgruntled fun.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

"Disgruntled fun" is an excellent description of the lot of an Orioles fan at Camden Yards this last decade. That wins Brilliant Typo of the Week right there.

And, yeah, way to go, Angelos, taking two months to fail to decide whether to put part of your team's name on your team's uniform, and possibly not doing so just to stick it to one "reporter" you don't like. That kind of maturity, focus, and decisive executive command is just what a team needs to compete in the AL East.

20082614447.png

"Disgruntled fun" is an excellent description of the lot of an Orioles fan at Camden Yards this last decade. That wins Brilliant Typo of the Week right there.

And, yeah, way to go, Angelos, taking two months to fail to decide whether to put part of your team's name on your team's uniform, and possibly not doing so just to stick it to one "reporter" you don't like. That kind of maturity, focus, and decisive executive command is just what a team needs to compete in the AL East.

In my defense, I was typing at 5:53 this morning. Normally, I would correct my error now that it has been discovered. However, since my post has been given an award for its subtle Freudian undertones, I will leave it as is.

Meanwhile, I concur wholeheartedly with the second paragraph of your post. First of all, if the reason really has anything to do with Drew Forrester's earlier "leak", then Angelos is more vindictive and egocentric than we already thought. Secondly, "taking two months to fail to decide" is an all-too-accurate description of the indecisiveness that has plagued the team for years. Countless baseball executives have said that the Orioles are impossible to deal with because no one can pull the trigger in a timely manner with regard to trades or free agent negotiations (ex., last summer's proposed deal(s) to trade Miguel Tejada that fell through).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Hi guys. New poster here. This is pretty crappy news for a fan of the Orioles through the Angelos Era. (read: worst era of team's existence) It's two years running that Pete's talked about doing this, this is the first we've heard that there was actual contact with MLB about it. Why he can't just pull the trigger, I have no idea. This is a very provincial city with a lot of civic pride. You put BALTIMORE on shirts & jerseys, they sell. Period.

BTW, someone mentioned a "B" cap for Baltimore, which is one of my personal hopes. MLB sells an Orioles "B" cap marketed as an authentic Cooperstown collection from 1955. The only problem is that the O's never wore it. I don't know how MLB could make such a large mistake, but I do know it's to my benefit. I LOVE this hat - the O's should incorporate it.

(And any cartoonizing of the bird better be back to the old bird - that new incarnation from the Dugout Club looks like it was drawn by Disney & blows big goat balls!)

Anyway, here's the "B" hat:

newhat.jpg

Wow. That's a beautiful cap. That would be a great alt, so much better than the alt they wear:

pMLB2-3536821reg.jpg

(And any cartoonizing of the bird better be back to the old bird - that new incarnation from the Dugout Club looks like it was drawn by Disney & blows big goat balls!)

This one?

bal_mascot118x177.gif

I agree.

Wow. That's a beautiful cap. That would be a great alt, so much better than the alt they wear:

Agreed and agreed. I can't stand the O's cap.

I also agree with Smitty on the cartoon bird. I wasn't sure if he and Gothamite were referring to the same one, but either one is a weak imitation of the original. Gothamite's version is fine to use in conjunction with appearances by the mascot or that sort of thing, because it actually looks like the mascot, but please don't use it as any kind of logo.

The cartoon bird I was referring to is HERE. It showed up as a sleeve patch a few years ago, cartoon bird ready at-bat.

I don't know where that thing came from, but I hope it dies a quick, painful death.

Ah, you mean this one:

mascot9.gif

I hate to ruin our agreement, but I rather like that little guy. Not sure I'd take him as a cap logo, but it's good for a mascot logo - at least he isn't overly aggressive and "kewl."

Yep, that's the one. *wretch*

He's great for the Dugout Club, which is aimed at kids. They had him on a sleeve patch a few years back & I couldn't believe my lying eyes. No way they'd ruin the jersey by putting some doe-eyed cutsie bird on it. But they sure did.

Thankfully, the 50th Anniversary occurred & the cute bird had to amscray.

Ah, you mean this one:

mascot9.gif

I hate to ruin our agreement, but I rather like that little guy. Not sure I'd take him as a cap logo, but it's good for a mascot logo - at least he isn't overly aggressive and "kewl."

The problem with that one is that it is presumably an update of this one, but not nearly as good (particularly given the history behind this one):

mascot5.gif

Who cares if his bat is way too big for him (even though he is choking up) and he is probably too off balance to swing the bat. This one is a classic.

mascot5.gif

Who cares if his bat is way too big for him (even though he is choking up) and he is probably too off balance to swing the bat. This one is a classic.

Agreed. Although in Angelos' zeal to remove "Baltimore" from everything that is the Orioles, I have seen an Angelosed version of that logo that simply reads "Orioles Baseball". What the man has against our fair city, I can't imagine.

Thus, I have a personal rule to only buy Orioles gear that includes the city name.

Almost forgot - the O's have another "B" cap that they actually did wear, if only for a single season:

pMLB2-1629730reg.jpg

I like the stylized B version better, tho.

Agreed. Although in Angelos' zeal to remove "Baltimore" from everything that is the Orioles, I have seen an Angelosed version of that logo that simply reads "Orioles Baseball".

I think I've seen the one you're talking about. Does it have a somewhat enlarged bird, with "Orioles" written on one portion of the circle? I'll link a picture of the one I've seen (usually on car stickers) if I can find it.

mascot5.gif

I could not agree more, and it's the too-big bat that really makes it.

I've said it before - the Orioles have a history of great mascots.

If I was a citizen of the fair city of Baltimore, I'd tattoo this little guy on my arm:

mascot1.gif

mascot5.gif

I could not agree more, and it's the too-big bat that really makes it.

Exactly. That's the one Orioles cartoon logo I don't hate, precisely because of the oversized bat. Makes him a plucky little bird swinging above his weight, which is a perfect identity for the Orioles. Assuming, of course, that the team has even minimally competent executive management and is therefore capable of competing once or twice a decade.

That said, it would be a sin to put a smiling cartoon mascot, even this one, on Baltimore's ballcaps. The ornithological bird has one of the richest traditions in baseball.

20082614447.png

BTW, someone mentioned a "B" cap for Baltimore, which is one of my personal hopes. MLB sells an Orioles "B" cap marketed as an authentic Cooperstown collection from 1955. The only problem is that the O's never wore it. I don't know how MLB could make such a large mistake, but I do know it's to my benefit. I LOVE this hat - the O's should incorporate it.

Anyway, here's the "B" hat:

newhat.jpg

I'm not sure where you are seeing that hat (I don't see it on MLB Shop). But I do really like it and they should use it.

To get back on subject, there are conflicting reports on what's going on. According to this message board , one poster has heard conflicting reports. It would be really stupid if Angelos to halt all plans because of a vendetta he has with a radio station. But at the same time I can't help but be mad at WNST for reporting because they not only reported it but took shots at the O's at the same time.

Archived