Padres and Cardinals in throwbacks tonight.

larrypep

Tonight they are wearing their mustard-yellow uniforms from 72-73. They showed Mike Cameron tonight on the news (replete with afro wig) and the caps are the typical abominations that New Era has been spewing out in regards to Padres retro caps.

Pictures to be posted later.

I'm not sure what year the Cardinals throwbacks are from. They are grey jerseys with no buttons. The only jersey of the Cardinals that I've seen is a V-neck and these aren't. Also, the Birds on the Bat logo looks cheap. It looks like Majestic used the patch that they use on the replicas, instead of embroidering it on the jerseys like they normally do.

I started this thread. How the heck did larrypep get a post in front of mine and get listed as the thread starter?

magic? time travel?

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

I started this thread. How the heck did larrypep get a post in front of mine and get listed as the thread starter?

I merged threads. I thought you started it first, so I made your title the main one. But as it turns out, larrypep's thread was before yours. So it's your title but the thread he started.

I merged threads. I thought you started it first, so I made your title the main one. But as it turns out, larrypep's thread was before yours. So it's your title but the thread he started.

I started the first thread, Illini started another one. So I continued with my thread with the pictures since it was first. I changed the title back to my original title since it was first, hope that was ok.

Out of all the Padres' threads, they picked THESE??

They are having three retro nights this year, one for 1972 (tonight), 1982 (similar to the 84 unis except they were pullover jerseys) and 1997 (not sure if they'll wear the pinstripes or the navy blues). The 1982 unis will be worn against the Red Sox.

Those birds look wrong. They look like the Post '98 updated birds and not the pre-98 ones which were less detailed.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think they usually had a white outline around them. The replicas do, but not the authentics.

whoever made the decision for the carinals, screwed up and made them look like garbage, to put it nicely. besides the "post 98" birds, it's a freaking patch!!! thats a BIG no no for cardinal jerseys, besides the jerseys almost looking like ponchos. when tampa, yes the d rays, had throwback night 2 or 3 years ago, the cards wore the authentic powder blues, which were stiched and the birds (1957?-1996) looked like they were from that era of when the blues were used. shows that baseball and/or the cardinals are getting cheap. dewitt is starting to reak as a cheap rich guy.

I started the first thread, Illini started another one. So I continued with my thread with the pictures since it was first. Thus, I say we should change the title back to mine, which had the teams reversed.

Well, you have to hang your hat on something, don't you.

Sometimes it's not so much cheap as it is just a lack of attention to detail. It does appear to be correct that the birds and script are the slightly different newer version instead of what was actually worn. I also believe it is correct that the white outline wasn't there. That said, I'm still not entirely sure the fact that it's a patch is wrong. They obviously have a really detailed and expensive stitching method now, but I don't know if that was the case then.

Here's an example of what the Padres wore in 1972

050728_norman.jpg

Note how the caps (for one year) had the triangle extend to the sides of the caps, sort of like a pair of Oakleys wrapping around one's head. The following year they would change the triangle to the traditional one:

ofmuExOa.jpg

Compare to tonight:

capt.4e44239c13be4a31ac351991768f894d.cardinals_padres_baseball_cali102.jpg

And contrast the differences in helmets:

Kendall.jpg

capt.38dcbab0140943df922ef3430871f345.cardinals_padres_baseball_cali103.jpg

capt.431f9a50ae944078aed60cd1270c87a3.aptopx_cardinals_padres_baseball_cali104.jpg

If you're wearing a retro uniform, pull your f-ing pants up and stop wearing pajamas. Otherwise, you're doing the impossible and actually making this set look uglier.

And New Era: way to botch the hats. Again. Does quality control even exist at that company anymore? Someone can't take 15 seconds to look at a flippin' baseball card and see how inaccurate that hat is?

Death to poorly-replicated retro!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i'm in love.

those are so horrible and wonderful.

What sells me on these are the hats. I miss the front panel colored hats. I'm not as excited about this era of Padres uniforms though. I think their late 70's early 80's unis are a thing of beauty.

Archived