Padres and Cardinals in throwbacks tonight.

larrypep

For those Cardinals uniforms, Majestic took the stitched on logo that they use for the current replica jerseys. That is exactly what it looks like on the StL replicas we sell in the store. And, no, they never had a white outline around it, so, double WTF on that.

This was the cap that was made for the Padres. It is more accurate than the one that they wore. It is made out of a different material, so the players probably just wanted to wear the New Era throwbacks.

491680444_06b0288105_o.jpg

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Saturday, May 12th, 2007 - 17:57:28)

This was the cap that was made for the Padres. It is more accurate than the one that they wore. It is made out of a different material, so the players probably just wanted to wear the New Era throwbacks.

491680444_06b0288105_o.jpg

Actually, according to Paul Lucas's site, that cap was a replica from the early 1970s, only used for the photo session:

The rest of the uni is pretty straightforward, except for the cap. As far as I can tell, the cap is actually from ?72-?73 ? I believe it was borrowed from someone here in the office, but I?m not sure who. It features an early attempt at the flex-fit style, similar to today?s BP caps. It has a felt-like texture and a cloth-backed leather sweatband [and a pretty cool tag ? PL]. I would assume the hats the players will wear will be New Era replicas that won?t even begin to do it justice.

More pictures of that really cap on his site. Period replicas are the height of cool.

capt.431f9a50ae944078aed60cd1270c87a3.aptopx_cardinals_padres_baseball_cali104.jpg

If you're wearing a retro uniform, pull your f-ing pants up and stop wearing pajamas. Otherwise, you're doing the impossible and actually making this set look uglier.

And New Era: way to botch the hats. Again. Does quality control even exist at that company anymore? Someone can't take 15 seconds to look at a flippin' baseball card and see how inaccurate that hat is?

Death to poorly-replicated retro!

What if the uniforms actually look like Pajamas

Paul Lucas's latest uni watch blogs should be linked and stickied here in this forum. That column is tailor-made for us.

Paul Lukas.

With a K.

:)

Sorry, I used the previous poster's spelling as my own, I shoulda verified via the spelling on the column's website. Mea culpa.

Fisrt of all, I personally like the newer version of the hats. I do understand everyone's beef with them not being authentic, I'm that way too as far as something being authentic, but I prefer the newer version to the original. Secondly, how the heck does one get their one day helmet that filthy? Did he rub pine tar on it and then roll it in the dirt? Third, does anyone have any pics of each team's stirrups and socks?

Secondly, how the heck does one get their one day helmet that filthy? Did he rub pine tar on it and then roll it in the dirt?

Probably. There are players who do just that - place tar on their helmets so they can reapply it to their gloves.

I really think there ought to be a law against gunked helmets, myself.

I went to the game on Friday, and it was just a really fun time! Although these particular unis are not my favorites from Padres' history, they looked great from the seats, and gave the Pads a much-needed jolt of personality in my opinion. The guys played a great game, and it was fun to see them display a little power, with Russ Branyan hitting 2 out, and Khalil Greene 1. Jake Peavy pitched a killer game, also.

While the current colors of navy and sand are generally viewed as "acceptable" to the merchandise buying public, they don't lend much in the way of originality. These unis and colors definitely achieved that. Would love to see the Padres follow the Brewers' lead and adopt one of their brown and yellow-themed unis as a Friday night home alternate, or something along those lines. I think it adds a fun element to the game, and also celebrates the first 20 years of the franchise.

Archived