Colorado Avalanche Color Question

TruColor

The original question got graveyarded, but I thought I'd address it anyway since it was a good question:

Hey Pantone, I have a question that's been bugging me and figured you'd know. Is it just me or was the original color of the Avs jerseys lighter and more red than the current verions?

Good eye. Yes, it was darkened before the 1999-2000 season:

ColoradoAvalanche_FRC_1999_SOL.jpg

vs. (current):

ColoradoAvalanche_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

For what it's worth, almost every team in the NHL changed one or more Pantone colors for the 1999-2000 season. Major overhaul color-wise. Even the Red Wings changed their Red.

Interesting. Was 99-00 the season CCM/Koho landed the exclusive deal with the NHL?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I hadn't noticed this before, but it's true. I know different cameras and lighting conditions probably contribute to this too, but you can see the difference in these two pictures.

Claude Lemiuex destroying Kris Draper in 1996:

the-hit.jpg

March 29, 2007 at Phoenix:

phx_col_0329_2.jpg

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Now that this has been brought up, I too remeber a different shade back in the day. The other thing I tend to remeber was the font on the back of the jersey. Didnt it used to be bolder or somewhat different than it is today?

SEAsig.png

Didn't the Avalanche use a different jersey material in their first year. It seemed more shinier then they changed to a more matted down color. It seemed more noticeable with the red/maroon color.

They did. The Avalanche (and the Rangers, too) I remember used to use this real shiny, real smooth fabric when they had Starter authentics. It was more like what you'd see on a football or basketball jersey.

Strange, are there no pictures at Drop The Pucks anymore? I'm sure it's easier to explain with year-by-year closeups.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Here's a list of the colors that changed in 1999-2000:

• Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: Purple
  • Atlanta Thrashers: Dark Bronze/Red, Copper (these colors changed before the Thrashers had ever played a game as an expansion team)
  • Boston Bruins: Bear Dark Brown, Bear Light Brown (secondary logo)
  • Buffalo Sabres: Red
  • Calgary Flames: none
  • Carolina Hurricanes: Red
  • Chicago Blackhawks: Green, Blue, Yellow
  • Colorado Avalanche: Burgundy
  • Columbus Blue Jackets: Blue, Red (same deal as Atlanta)
  • Dallas Stars: Gold
  • Detroit Red Wings: Red
  • Edmonton Oilers: none
  • Florida Panthers: Red, Blue
  • Los Angeles Kings: none
  • Minnesota Wild: none
  • Montreal Canadiens: Red, Blue
  • Nashville Predators: none
  • New Jersey Devils: Red
  • New York Islanders: none
  • New York Rangers: Blue, Red; also Liberty Dark Blue, Liberty Light Silver, Liberty Dark Gray
  • Ottawa Senators: Face Light Brown, Face Medium Brown, Face Dark Brown (secondary logo)
  • Philadelphia Flyers: Orange
  • Phoenix Coyotes: Brick Red
  • Pittsburgh Penguins: Gold
  • St. Louis Blues: Dark Blue
  • San Jose Sharks: Deep Teal, Burnt Orange (I believe this happened before the 1997-1998 season, but an official document I have states it as 1999-2000)
  • Tampa Bay Lightning: none
  • Toronto Maple Leafs: none
  • Vancouver Canucks: none
  • Washington Capitals: none

Oh, and the Avs' Steel Blue is the same color as it's been since day one...probably the differences you see are due to different fabrics...

how noticable is the change on the wings when they changed reds? I honestly didn't know they even changed a hue on there jersey for the 99-00 season. now on the stars there is a noticable difference with the gold. I have a stars current home i bought back in 99 which was still an alternate and the gold looks more like a sandy tan and back in 01 i bought a dallas stars jersey white jersey and the gold looks more like a gold color and not sandy tan. (for the record i bought me a couple of stars jerseys mainly for the reason i like the designs and wanted to add it to my collection with fisherman and a few others.)

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

how noticable is the change on the wings when they changed reds? I honestly didn't know they even changed a hue on there jersey for the 99-00 season. now on the stars there is a noticable difference with the gold. I have a stars current home i bought back in 99 which was still an alternate and the gold looks more like a sandy tan and back in 01 i bought a dallas stars jersey white jersey and the gold looks more like a gold color and not sandy tan. (for the record i bought me a couple of stars jerseys mainly for the reason i like the designs and wanted to add it to my collection with fisherman and a few others.)

The Red Wings went from 185 C to 186 C.

Well, it's a good thing the original question got graveyarded as there is clearly no discussion potential from one person asking a question of PANTONE. ^_^

Well, it's a good thing the original question got graveyarded as there is clearly no discussion potential from one person asking a question of PANTONE. ^_^

To be honest, the mods graveyarded this one because they thought it should be a PM. Fair enough, but I thought it was a worthy enough question to warrant a thread. Hope that was OK with the mods (!)...

And while I'm being honest - I turned off the PM feature for my profile a while back...hate to say it, but I was getting inundated with PMs, and had to put a stop to it.

Archived