symmetrical logos

max

I believe that's what I said.

No, you didn't. You said "technically". There is nothing technical about it, which is what I was calling attention to. I even boldfaced it in your own quote for you, taken directly from your own posting.

This thread asked for symmetrical logos, with the assumption being vertical symmetry.

Who assumed? Nowhere in the thread does anyone specify the orientation of the axis of symmetry. So to assume that symmetry means only in the vertical axis is specious. The thread asked for symmetrical logos, without qualifications. EatSleepJeep made a mistake and said the Bruins' logo wasn't symmetric, but that's his mistake for misunderstanding the thread and the definition of symmetry. You corrected him, but then went astray with "technically" based on an incorrect assumption.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since horizontal symmetry is practically nonexistent in nature, while horizontal is quite common, (also reflected in design, as evidenced by the choices of logos in this thread) I think it's fairly safe to assume that when people think of symmetry, they usually think of vertical symmetry.

I certainly could have phrased myself better, but I hardly see how that is criteria for me being an embarrassment to UNC.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that when people think of symmetry, they usually think of vertical symmetry.

I think it's fairly safe to say you should stop thinking it's safe to assume things. Furthermore, it's fairly safe to say that trying to apply "nature" to justify a point about the world of graphic design and sports logos doesn't help your case all that much. The bottom line, courtesy of The American Heritage Dictionary, remains the definition of symmetry: Exact correspondence of form and constituent configuration on opposite sides of a dividing line or plane or about a center or an axis. No exceptions, no assumptions, no qualifications. It's that easy.

I certainly could have phrased myself better, but I hardly see how that is criteria for me being an embarrassment to UNC.

That was meant more tongue-in-cheek when I first wrote it, but your persistent and misguided assumptions are making it less so. :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived