Players Sharing Numbers...

Frenchie

Has anyone seen that before:

Both Adam Dennis and Ty Conklin (clown) have been wearing #35 this season.

-given Adam Dennis never PLAYED a game for the sabres and is no longer on their ACTIVE Roster, but he's on NHL official game sheets as back-up goalie (4 of 5 games...) when Miller was out, and he is still with the team.

My dilemma is that I want to get my Sabres shirt customized with Dennis' name on it, but if he comes back next year (or the year after...) with a differnt number, I'll be th eone looking like a "clown"

What should I do???

img0255jd8.jpg

millerconklincg8.jpg

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Has anyone seen that before:

Yes, Claude Larose and Robbie Ftorek both wore #8 for the Cincinnati Stingers of the WHA in the 1977-1978 season.

And they were on the ice at the same time while wearing #8 sometimes.

I thought this thread meant that two players were wearing the same number simultaneously, not two players wearing the same number in a season after one has departed. That happens alot. Two at the same time is rare, I betcha.

Brad Norton and Kyle Calder both wore #17 for the Red Wings this season. Norton started the season with it, then got sent down to GR. Detroit traded for Calder and he took it.

John-Michael Liles started the season wearing his #26 before switching for Paul Stastny 10 games in.

fwiw, Conklin is a free agent this summer, so perhaps Dennis won't need to change his number next year.

It happens in college football in the same game. O & D players can share numbers.

...which is the most ridiculous thing ever. There's no need to have that many players.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

In 2004, Earl Snyder and Adam Hyzdu both wore number 37, obviously at different points, for the Red Sox. Snyder was called up sometime in mid-August, went 1 for 4, then immediately sent back down to Pawtucket. A few weeks later, Hyzdu was a September call-up, and sported 37 as well.

They both got rings though. :D

It happens in college football in the same game. O & D players can share numbers.

...which is the most ridiculous thing ever. There's no need to have that many players.

Teams are limited to 85 scholarship players. You're going to tell a walk-on who wants to be part of the program while not getting any tangible benefits that he can't because he's the hundredth one to join?

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

sort of the opposite:

when the stars traded shane churla and doug zmolek to the kings for darryl sydor, sydor wanted to wear 5.

but that was zmolek's number. so sydor decided not to take his number immediately, out of respect. so he wore 6 for his first partial season in dallas, before going to 5.

he wore 25 in los angeles.

All I wanna know is, why do you wanna get Dennis on your jersey? Despite my hatred for Buffalo, I can still admit their roster is chalk-full of jersey-worthy players. Why not go with a Pominville, or Drury, or even Stafford or Hecht?

2 reasons:

A) I like being different... Nothing worst that seing 5 Sundins having a beer together in a bar...

2) Been following his career since he got drafted in the OHL at the time my wife worked with his mom...

As for guys getting traded I get it, but I still think guys being sent down shouldn't lose their number... when you call him up, he has to pick another number in the same season???

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Damian Jackson and Felipe Lopez both wore number 2 for the Nationals last year.

And Eli Whiteside and Jeff Fiorentino both wore number 16 for the Orioles last year.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Teams are limited to 85 scholarship players. You're going to tell a walk-on who wants to be part of the program while not getting any tangible benefits that he can't because he's the hundredth one to join?

85's too many as it is.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

85's too many as it is.

Some players are listed on the roster, but are redshirting (not playing the entire season). Approximately 20-25% of your scholarship players are redshirted.

And as long as football is the school's main source of money-making in the athletic department, they get to legally do whatever they please.....

I remember that two starters on Ohio State shared numbers a few years ago. I think it was like Santonio Holmes and Ashton Youboty.

It was Holmes and Will Allen.

Ohio State had about 10 numbers which were shared by two scholarship guys. A few of them were veteran/freshman who ended up redshirting, but Doug Datish and Vern Gholston both started and wore 50.

When you have retired numbers and everybody clamoring to wear a low number, you end up with 28 guys wearing 1-20 and ten wearing 51-70.

Archived