Help Bring Back The Jets

josh_cat_eyes

I think it's great that there trying to get a new team. The fact that they built (or are building) a arena is kinda crazy especially since Kansas City is the next city to get a NHL team. But i would love to see the Jets come back.

They built the arena for their AHL team. And it's an AHL sized arena. It wasn't built to entice an NHL team to come.

I'm not saying an NHL team couldn't play at a building that size, but it's not likely, and their intent clearly wasn't to get an NHL team to come by putting the capacity at 15,000.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clever pokes at "Manitobians" aside, we all agree that Winnipeg is not going to be the financial valhalla that any franchise owner would want; this is not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that the city is or is not a feasible host for a franchise in the long term.

But that's the point of bringing in a franchise into a new city. After all, if an owner was content to lose cash by the metric ton in say New Jersey, then why would they move somewhere else to lose the same amount of money, if not more?

Relative benefits of one location with respect to another are not always the primary determinants of where a franchise will ultimately end up. So if you feel very strongly about the future of NHL hockey in Houston, Texas, by all means, proceed to lobby away in whatever manner you choose.

Actually, I just used Houston as an example. We've all seen the yeas and nays of Kansas City already, so that would be useless, but the US' largest market without an NHL team, despite having supported a WHA franchise on par with the 4 surviving WHA franchises, in an interesting case study

Sure lots of places can, but not as many places do. Or do I have to remind you that this year's Women's World Hockey Championship was the most successful WWHC tournament, ever? Or that every World Junior tournament that Winnipeg is involved in (1999, 2005) invariably become poster-children for how to run a WJHC? Might other places have done similarly as well? Perhaps. But as Winnipeg continues to set records, you have to wonder if there's something to that.

Folks thought that, despite the corruption and graft, that Salt Lake City was a well ran Olympics, yet no one's beating a path to put an NHL team there.

One-off tournaments may not be the best indicator for divining whether or not a location is a suitable long-term locale. However, instances exist where a one-off event was a significant factor: is it not true that the United States' successful hosting of the World Cup was a precursor to an entire league forming?

Actually, the caveat of MLS forming was an integral part of the US getting the World Cup in 1994 because there was not a true national First Division league (USL was the top league at the time) in the US.

The Black Plague has a better chance of coming back than the Jets to Winnipeg.

Uh oh

Monkey dead from bubonic plague in Denver

Someone already beat you to it.

I'll take those chances!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/8981141/detail.html

Bubonic Plague Detected In 6 Colorado Counties

Domestic Cats Are Big Concern

POSTED: 6:03 am MDT April 25, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

DENVER -- State health officials said the bubonic plague has been detected in animals in six Colorado counties, including in 10 cats that may have been infected through hunting and eating infected rodents.

John Pape is an epidemiologist with the state health department. He said that cats present a concern because pets that become severely ill could transmit the disease directly to their owners. Dogs and cats also could bring infected fleas into the home.

Counties that have detected the plague include Archuleta, Larimer, La Plata, Mesa, Montezuma and San Miguel.

Bubonic plague was detected in animals throughout the state last year and in three humans. Since being first documented in Colorado in 1957, nine people have died from the plague.

It usually takes from two to six days for plague to incubate, according to health officials. Typical symptoms include sudden onset of fever and chills, severe headache, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting and a general feeling of systemic illness. Lymph node pain and swelling is a suggestive symptom of bubonic plague.

Uh oh

Monkey dead from bubonic plague in Denver

Someone already beat you to it.

I'll take those chances!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/8981141/detail.html

Bubonic Plague Detected In 6 Colorado Counties

Domestic Cats Are Big Concern

POSTED: 6:03 am MDT April 25, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

DENVER -- State health officials said the bubonic plague has been detected in animals in six Colorado counties, including in 10 cats that may have been infected through hunting and eating infected rodents.

John Pape is an epidemiologist with the state health department. He said that cats present a concern because pets that become severely ill could transmit the disease directly to their owners. Dogs and cats also could bring infected fleas into the home.

Counties that have detected the plague include Archuleta, Larimer, La Plata, Mesa, Montezuma and San Miguel.

Bubonic plague was detected in animals throughout the state last year and in three humans. Since being first documented in Colorado in 1957, nine people have died from the plague.

It usually takes from two to six days for plague to incubate, according to health officials. Typical symptoms include sudden onset of fever and chills, severe headache, muscle aches, nausea, vomiting and a general feeling of systemic illness. Lymph node pain and swelling is a suggestive symptom of bubonic plague.

Bah I stopped reading this thread after the Plague Comments, its so mind numbing.

If I was the Commisioner, I would've made the owners of the Jets, Whalers, and Nordiques to leave thee colors, logo, uniforms, and history just like what the NFL did to the Browns. They should a team back before Carolina, Columbus, and Nashville and I'm sorry for the Hockey fan that I may have offended.

Why?

The owners own the teams and are free to do with them what they like.

And yes, the Browns thing was stupid.

That true but also the fans supported those team and they had so much tradition.

I agreed with the whole Browns thing. If only they were like that for Los Angeles but I';D Degress.

Clever pokes at "Manitobians" aside, we all agree that Winnipeg is not going to be the financial valhalla that any franchise owner would want; this is not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that the city is or is not a feasible host for a franchise in the long term.

But that's the point of bringing in a franchise into a new city. After all, if an owner was content to lose cash by the metric ton in say New Jersey, then why would they move somewhere else to lose the same amount of money, if not more?

These are hockey team owners, not necessarily Mensa candidates. These are largely the same group of people who collectively lost billions in the late '90s, until someone (finally) had the balls to step up and limit salary spending (an act which cost them further hundreds of millions). For the ultra-wealthy, these teams (apart from perhaps the Leafs and the Ontario Teachers' Pension Fund) are not so much investments as they are toys.

Sure lots of places can, but not as many places do. Or do I have to remind you that this year's Women's World Hockey Championship was the most successful WWHC tournament, ever? Or that every World Junior tournament that Winnipeg is involved in (1999, 2005) invariably become poster-children for how to run a WJHC? Might other places have done similarly as well? Perhaps. But as Winnipeg continues to set records, you have to wonder if there's something to that.

Folks thought that, despite the corruption and graft, that Salt Lake City was a well ran Olympics, yet no one's beating a path to put an NHL team there.

They are not, it's true. And I admitted that a successful one-off event is not necessarily a pre-cursor for a team. However, you start seeing repeated successful one-off events in the same sport, and you have to think, how often is lightning going to keep striking in that one place?

One-off tournaments may not be the best indicator for divining whether or not a location is a suitable long-term locale. However, instances exist where a one-off event was a significant factor: is it not true that the United States' successful hosting of the World Cup was a precursor to an entire league forming?

Actually, the caveat of MLS forming was an integral part of the US getting the World Cup in 1994 because there was not a true national First Division league (USL was the top league at the time) in the US.

I stand corrected. Refer to my previous comment.

...and yes, 40 games in a year is a steep price to pay for any average family. However, as Winnipeg continues to grow, and as more prosperous times loom for a province rich in natural resources like green energy, I maintain the hope that the city will become a suitable location if it is not yet lucrative enough. Winnipeg as an NHL market was feasible twenty years ago, completely unfeasible 8 years ago, and now the pendulum is swinging back in the other direction.

I don't know how long it's going to take, but Winnipeg hasn't given up on the Jets for the last 11 years - lots of people are prepared to make sacrifices even now to turn a less-than-optimal situation into a viable one - and so I have a hopeful feeling that one day, sooner than most expect, Winnipeg will be making its return to the top tier of pro hockey.

They are not, it's true. And I admitted that a successful one-off event is not necessarily a pre-cursor for a team. However, you start seeing repeated successful one-off events in the same sport, and you have to think, how often is lightning going to keep striking in that one place?

I wouldn't call it lightning striking in one place, but the IIHF dictating that the lightning can only strike that one spot during the two weeks the tournament runs.

Just because people are willing to shell out to watch a handful of NHL-calibre games every 3-6 years, does it mean they will 40-50 times a year between now and the end of time? Even we sold out the WJHC here in Nova Scotia in 2003, but no one's saying Halifax deserves an NHL team.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

These are hockey team owners, not necessarily Mensa candidates. These are largely the same group of people who collectively lost billions in the late '90s, until someone (finally) had the balls to step up and limit salary spending (an act which cost them further hundreds of millions). For the ultra-wealthy, these teams (apart from perhaps the Leafs and the Ontario Teachers' Pension Fund) are not so much investments as they are toys.

So your hope is that an independently wealthy, flippant idiot who feels he has nothing better to do with his money takes the reins of an NHL franchise in Winnipeg? Well, enjoy a decade of hockey where 60 points in a season is a lofty goal. That'll give you 41 sellouts a year every time around.

So your hope is that an independently wealthy, flippant idiot who feels he has nothing better to do with his money takes the reins of an NHL franchise in Winnipeg?

Worked for Ottawa

So your hope is that an independently wealthy, flippant idiot who feels he has nothing better to do with his money takes the reins of an NHL franchise in Winnipeg? Well, enjoy a decade of hockey where 60 points in a season is a lofty goal. That'll give you 41 sellouts a year every time around.

Chris has pointed out Ottawa. I'll ask you, how many owners became wealthy on account of owning sports teams? All of these guys have (or had) a primary business interest that put them in the position they are, and they choose to purchase a sports team as a complement to their other pursuits. (And seriously, if this was primarily an investment, don't you think there would be more lucrative opportunities out there? Unless you've got one of the 6 or 7 franchises outside of the NFL that actually make money on a regular basis, the risk is high and the return ain't always that great.)

Worked for Ottawa

Apples and oranges.

Ottawa was an expansion team, whilst the purported team Winnipeg would get would be a relocated team. But what makes the financial situation for the franchise so unique was that the Senators were saddled with the cost of developing the infrastructure around the ScotiaBank Place in addition to ScotiaBank Place itself, to the tune of well over $200 million. Ignoring the millstone that was ScotiaBank Place development, the Senators did proportionally as well (considering the small size of the gate receipts from the Civic Centre from 1992-1995 as compared to Expo Hall/Tropicana Field) as the Lightning.

Chris has pointed out Ottawa. I'll ask you, how many owners became wealthy on account of owning sports teams? All of these guys have (or had) a primary business interest that put them in the position they are, and they choose to purchase a sports team as a complement to their other pursuits. (And seriously, if this was primarily an investment, don't you think there would be more lucrative opportunities out there? Unless you've got one of the 6 or 7 franchises outside of the NFL that actually make money on a regular basis, the risk is high and the return ain't always that great.)

the Rooney Family, the Mara family, Bill Veeck, Al Davis, and Lamar Hunt to name a few that became wealthy as a result of owning sports teams.

As for owners who became wealthier, George Steinbrenner, Mark Cuban, Tom Hicks, and Malcom Glazer spring to mind immediately.

Worked for Ottawa

Apples and oranges.

Ottawa was an expansion team, whilst the purported team Winnipeg would get would be a relocated team. But what makes the financial situation for the franchise so unique was that the Senators were saddled with the cost of developing the infrastructure around the ScotiaBank Place in addition to ScotiaBank Place itself, to the tune of well over $200 million. Ignoring the millstone that was ScotiaBank Place development, the Senators did proportionally as well (considering the small size of the gate receipts from the Civic Centre from 1992-1995 as compared to Expo Hall/Tropicana Field) as the Lightning.

I meant back when Ottawa was bankrupt and Mr Melnyk came and rescued them, it was more of a response to Sodboy's comment...

So your hope is that an independently wealthy, flippant idiot who feels he has nothing better to do with his money takes the reins of an NHL franchise in Winnipeg?

As for owners who became wealthier, George Steinbrenner, Mark Cuban, Tom Hicks, and Malcom Glazer spring to mind immediately.

You really think that Cuban is wealthier now after buying the Mavericks than he was when he got $5.04B in stock from Yahoo! in return for selling Broadcast.com?

Archived