Help Bring Back The Jets

josh_cat_eyes

With no disrecpect to some of the best hockey fans in the world, as they showed it a t the WORLDS (Winnipegers and Manitobans...) I would like some rules in pro sportsd that say once you lose a franchise, you shouldn't get one back.

It's ridiculous to watch a Baltimore Indy in the NFL or a Wild-Stars game in the NHL...

So, if a jack@$$ owner decides to move a team, with or without justification, the old city would be forever banned from having a team in that league? Is that really what you think?

Imagine that. The Dallas Texans of the early 1950s failed, so say goodbye to the Dallas Cowboys. And think of all the angry would-be New England Patriots fans scarred by the move of the Boston Redskins. And no more Baltimore Orioles since the original American League team became the New York Yankees.

Hmm, sounds like a "What if . . . " thread.

Alternate History sounds like fun, although these would be some oddball timelines...

I'm definitely siding with those posters who class "NHL to Winnipeg" as being remote (barring the crazy millionaire scenario). The facts, such as they are, seem to indicate the team would still not be viable.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is something that I've always wanted to discuss, and this thread seems as good an opportunity as any.

While I would love to see the NHL return to Winnipeg, I'm not sure I would want them using the Jets name and referencing their history. It sounds very Cleveland Deal-esque to me.

IMO the identity and history of the Winnipeg Jets belongs to the Phoenix Coyotes. So unless the Coyotes move back to Winnipeg, a new NHL team shouldn't be allowed to use the "Jets" moniker.

How about the Winnipeg Arrows, in reference to the Avro Arrow. It would allow a new Winnipeg team to keep the jet imagery without them hijacking a part of an other team's history.

This is something that I've always wanted to discuss, and this thread seems as good an opportunity as any.

While I would love to see the NHL return to Winnipeg, I'm not sure I would want them using the Jets name and referencing their history. It sounds very Cleveland Deal-esque to me.

IMO the identity and history of the Winnipeg Jets belongs to the Phoenix Coyotes. So unless the Coyotes move back to Winnipeg, a new NHL team shouldn't be allowed to use the "Jets" moniker.

How about the Winnipeg Arrows, in reference to the Avro Arrow. It would allow a new Winnipeg team to keep the jet imagery without them hijacking a part of an other team's history.

The Arrows? Nah. It wouldn't make much sense. The Avro Arrow was built in Malton (part of present day Mississauga). Come to think of it, maybe Mississauga should get an NHL team, it has a larger population than Winnipeg :P

I saw, I came, I left.

Winnipeg (and Hartford and Quebec for that matter) would never have had teams anyway if it wasn't for the damn WHA trying to compete with the NHL.

So therefore I really don't give two :censored:s for any of those cities. If they get a team, they'll get a team. Nobody "deserves" a team more than someone else.

Mike you would be right, Phoenix Coyotes owns all rights, identity and history of the Winnipeg Jets.

Mike you would be right, Phoenix Coyotes owns all rights, identity and history of the Winnipeg Jets.

It's the same as in MLB where the Texas Rangers own the rights to the name Washington Senators and if the Nats had wanted to use that name, they would've had to pay for the rights. Though I don't think the Rangers would've had a problem with selling back the rights. Same for Phoenix. If (for some Godly reason) Winnipeg got a team again, if they really wanted to link themselves back to the previous team, I'm sure the Coyotes would be willing to sell them back. I don't know if there is a certain price range, depending on the success of the name or something, or if it's totally up to the team currently maintaining ownership of the name.

The Arrows? Nah. It wouldn't make much sense. The Avro Arrow was built in Malton (part of present day Mississauga). Come to think of it, maybe Mississauga should get an NHL team, it has a larger population than Winnipeg :P

While the Avro Arrow represents the pinnacle of independent Canadian Aviation, and was truly an awesome aircraft for its time, I question whether it would be a good idea to name your team after a project that was ultimately cancelled.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While the Avro Arrow represents the pinnacle of independent Canadian Aviation, and was truly an awesome aircraft for its time, I question whether it would be a good idea to name your team after a project that was ultimately cancelled.

As long as they don't play a team named the Diefenbakers they should be alright ^_^

Fans aren't buying it

Despite Bettman comments, don't see team coming here

By JOYANNE PURSAGA -- Sun Media

Winnipeggers aren't banking on the return of the NHL, no matter how much the idea piques Gary Bettman's interest.

In the wake of the NHL commissioner's comments that the return of a team to Winnipeg "intrigues" him, several city residents said they'd love to see it happen but doubt it would last.

"I would love it but I don't think there's enough corporate money to bring something like that here," said Jared Hildebrand at River City Sports yesterday. "I don't think Winnipeg's a rich enough city. The only thing we have going for us is we're a Canadian city and there will always be a passion for hockey."

Hildebrand said he agreed with Bettman's comment an NHL team would be more likely to match the market than it did "three, four, five years ago" based on the current salary cap and revenue sharing.

But most fans had little confidence that cap would stay put, to allow the new team to survive more than a year or two.

"I just think it's a dream we keep holding on to. We tried so hard at the end to make it work, we thought it was going to happen," said Hildebrand of the grassroots "Save the Jets" movement just prior to the team's move to Phoenix for the 1996-97 season.

Carlos Freitas said he'd also welcome back the NHL but doubted the city could afford it.

"I don't think it will work out. The city's too small. The ticket prices are way too much for Winnipeg," said Freitas. "I think it could work out for now and last maybe a year or two."

Others said Bettman's vaguely positive remarks seemed to merely tug at the heartstrings of Winnipeggers without committing to them.

"Apparently, we're the next viable market. It's hopeful thinking that's gone on since the day we closed the doors to the building," said Michael Elves. "Our catchement area is the city and that's it. There's not that many people to come to games."

Jason Dodd, decked out in all-white embroidered Jets baseball cap, felt the comments aimed to be popular rather than promising.

"I think he's probably playing to the TV a little bit (about Winnipeg.) When he says Canada, I think he really means southern Ontario," said Dodd. "Realistically, I don't really see it happening."

Dodd echoed other fans' notion the city simply couldn't, or wouldn't, give the financial support an NHL franchise requires.

"I think even if somebody really stepped up and brought them here, it's whether the fans and the corporations would support it," said Dodd. "I'm not saying the devotion's not here, it's just not here in that quantity. You just don't have the money here."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2007/...219969-sun.html

I saw, I came, I left.

Fans aren't buying it

Despite Bettman comments, don't see team coming here

By JOYANNE PURSAGA -- Sun Media

Winnipeggers aren't banking on the return of the NHL, no matter how much the idea piques Gary Bettman's interest.

In the wake of the NHL commissioner's comments that the return of a team to Winnipeg "intrigues" him, several city residents said they'd love to see it happen but doubt it would last.

"I would love it but I don't think there's enough corporate money to bring something like that here," said Jared Hildebrand at River City Sports yesterday. "I don't think Winnipeg's a rich enough city. The only thing we have going for us is we're a Canadian city and there will always be a passion for hockey."

Hildebrand said he agreed with Bettman's comment an NHL team would be more likely to match the market than it did "three, four, five years ago" based on the current salary cap and revenue sharing.

But most fans had little confidence that cap would stay put, to allow the new team to survive more than a year or two.

"I just think it's a dream we keep holding on to. We tried so hard at the end to make it work, we thought it was going to happen," said Hildebrand of the grassroots "Save the Jets" movement just prior to the team's move to Phoenix for the 1996-97 season.

Carlos Freitas said he'd also welcome back the NHL but doubted the city could afford it.

"I don't think it will work out. The city's too small. The ticket prices are way too much for Winnipeg," said Freitas. "I think it could work out for now and last maybe a year or two."

Others said Bettman's vaguely positive remarks seemed to merely tug at the heartstrings of Winnipeggers without committing to them.

"Apparently, we're the next viable market. It's hopeful thinking that's gone on since the day we closed the doors to the building," said Michael Elves. "Our catchement area is the city and that's it. There's not that many people to come to games."

Jason Dodd, decked out in all-white embroidered Jets baseball cap, felt the comments aimed to be popular rather than promising.

"I think he's probably playing to the TV a little bit (about Winnipeg.) When he says Canada, I think he really means southern Ontario," said Dodd. "Realistically, I don't really see it happening."

Dodd echoed other fans' notion the city simply couldn't, or wouldn't, give the financial support an NHL franchise requires.

"I think even if somebody really stepped up and brought them here, it's whether the fans and the corporations would support it," said Dodd. "I'm not saying the devotion's not here, it's just not here in that quantity. You just don't have the money here."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2007/...219969-sun.html

Well those people clearly aren't from Winnipeg. Everyone knows there is enough money and support in town for an NHL team, no matter the ticket prices and population of the city. :rolleyes:

You know what? I?m going to flip-flop on my earlier stance, and decide that I do want the NHL to return to Winnipeg.

Just so I can see everyone trying to get their season-ticket deposits back when they realize the Leafs and Habs are only coming to town once every three years.

Go, Jets, Go!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You know what? I?m going to flip-flop on my earlier stance, and decide that I do want the NHL to return to Winnipeg.

Just so I can see everyone trying to get their season-ticket deposits back when they realize the Leafs and Habs are only coming to town once every three years.

Go, Jets, Go!

There is word that the NHL brass will redo the schedule format for 2008-09, adopting the NBA's play-every-team-from-the-other-conference philopsophy.

Archived