Si cover jinx?

pagan696

Well when people continously fall from grace after gracing the cover, I for one think there is some serious backup to the Jinx.

SI even did a story on it.

coverlarge012102.jpg

They did a follow up on the cat, Mr. Ed, and the cat was doing fine, so posing on the cover did nothing to the cat. Alexander Wolff, who wrote the SI Jinx cover story for that week, did this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_....ewpoint

As of 2002 there had been 913 Jinxes, out of 2,456 covers. 37.2 percent of the time something unfortunate happened to the person, or team, who graced the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Some of the more jinxed of the bunch.

Phil Knight - Nike - CEO - Aug. 16, 1993: In the month following CEO Phil Knight's appearance, Nike's six-year streak of record earnings ends, its stock plummets, hundreds of employees are laid off, and 37 high school players who had partaken of Nike's hospitality find their eligibility imperiled.

Ty Detmer - BYU - QB - Dec. 10, 1990: In BYU's next game, the Holiday Bowl with Texas A&M, Ty Detmer throws one interception and separates both shoulders as the Cougars lose 65-14.

Bart Giamatti - Commissioner of Baseball - Sept. 4, 1989: Though commissioner Bart Giamatti's image doesn't grace this cover, his words about Pete Rose do -- and for an academic, words are all. Giamatti dies of a heart attack that week.

Ricardo Rodriguez - Race Car Driver - March 26, 1962: Ricardo Rodriguez, the driver billed as MEXICO'S YOUNG FIREBALL, dies in a fiery crash later that year.

Laurence Owen - Skater - Feb. 13, 1961: Laurence Owen appeared on the cover in '61, billed as AMERICA'S MOST EXCITING GIRL SKATER. Two days after the cover date Owen and the rest of the U.S. skating team perished in a plane crash.

Pat O'Connor - Race Car Driver - May 26, 1958: SI's 1958 Indy 500 preview featured Pat O'Connor, who was killed in a 15-car pileup during the first lap.

Jill Kinmont - Skier - Jan. 31, 1955: The week that an issue featuring her was on the stands, skier Jill Kinmont struck a tree during a practice run and was paralyzed from the neck down.

sig09.jpg

Just Like How Carolina Took out Dallas, then they went down I-70 and took out The RAMs, then they came into Philly and To Knocked Philly out. Then they are put on the cover of SI. If they can beat all thoes others Crossroads then they come out and Break the SI jinx. Just another Hump in the Road that many people put on the panthers, because they can't stand the Fact, their Little Green Bay Packers, Philly Eagels, and St. Louis Rams are not in the Super Bowl.

If many people still want to call the Panthers nothing but an Expansion Team, then Fine let it be, But just remember If the panthers win, They better start giving the Panthers a little more respect then they have been getting.

At lease we was there, where was St. Louis, Dallas, Philly, Kansas City, Green Bay, Tenn, Seahawks, Denver, Indy, and the Ravenspantherplayoff.jpg

and this is funny, Ali and MJ have been on the cover the most. i seem to think they had ok sports runs.

I dunno...it gave Ali Parkinson's, and killed MJ's dad...

in Poor taste, yes.  But I keed! I keed!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived