Nashville Predators Being Sold?

otherwilds

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful news.

Consider Ballsillie and Hamilton for expansion with KC.

Leave Nashville put.

No chance... the NHL wants nothing to do with Canada and I'm hoping the feeling starts to become mutual.

I'm sick and tired of this league.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Wonderful news.

Leave Nashville put.

Thanks for the half-a$$ed attempt at saying "don't worry Canada, you'll get there eventually." <_<

As long as Gary Bettman and his gang of equally clueless and stubborn morons are running the show Canada will never have a real shot at receiving an other team, expansion or relocation.

The fact of the matter is that Jim Balsillie was a potential owner with very deep pockets and who had a passion for the game, something the NHL needs more of. On top of that he was going to move the Predators to a market that would actually appreciate them, even if the on-ice product sucked. But Bettman, whether he was afraid of no longer being the star of the corporate NHL world, or his desire to not see an other Canadian team pop up, did all he could to block the deal, and it appears he succeeded. As long as he is running the show Canada will never have a chance at a seventh franchise, and you know that as much as I do STL. This was it, and Bettman did all he could to drive the point home the NHL wants nothing more to do with Canada.

So Gary Bettman wants to keep the Predators in a market that views hockey as a side show? He wants to keep the team in a city that didn't even bother to show up for games during an amazing season? A city who's corporate community couldn't give a rat's a$$ about hockey in general much less the local professional team? This situation was nipped before it even got started. Any feelings of "woo we saved the Preds!!!!" from Nashville will be gone by the time the puck drops on opening night. The team's attendance will continue to be among the NHL's worst, and the corporate community will continue to show lacklustre interest at best now that the threat of relocation is gone. The Preds will continue to prove that Nashville is a failed hockey market. Yet Gary Bettman will close himself off from reality and tell himself he saved NHL hockey in Nashville, and that the NHL is a mainstream league in the USA because of it, while all around him the NHL continues to sink to new lows, mainly because he and those he surrounds himself with have made it clear they don't want anything to do with real hockey fans, especially those living in the country that invented and perfected the modern game, the Dominion of Canada.

Garry Bettman and the "New NHL" don't want to have anything to do with Canada? Well as a Canadian who was robbed of a chance to see NHL hockey in my home country more then once every 19 years I'm saying I don't want to have anything to do with the NHL. I hope the Leafs continue to do well, and I'll still support them through thick and thin, but the league as a whole is irrelevant to me.

Today it was made very clear, the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto is more then just a celebration of the game's greatest stars, it's a memorial to a time when hockey belonged to the true fans.

:censored: Gary Bettman and :censored: the new NHL.

Nashville is anything but in the clear... Leopold still initiated the out-clause that could (and likely will) terminate the lease at the end of this season.

Yup so they can move to KC or Vegas or any other city not in this country.

I suppose Balsille has to start issuing refunds to the 12,000 Hamiltonians who made season ticket deposits.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

No chance... the NHL wants nothing to do with Canada and I'm hoping the feeling starts to become mutual.

Well, you Canadians could always split off, form your own little 8-team league, and adopt unique, quirky rules like a larger ice surface and an extra skater.

We Americans will admire your cutesy pluck, and some of us diehards will even follow your league as an interesting diversion.

I'll believe Canadians are fed up with the NHL when I start seeing non-sellouts in Toronto and Montreal on a regular basis, and plummeting ratings for HNIC.

Until then, blah blah blah America ruins the sport blah blah.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wonderful news.

Leave Nashville put.

Thanks for the half-a$$ed attempt at saying "don't worry Canada, you'll get there eventually." <_<

As long as Gary Bettman and his gang of equally clueless and stubborn morons are running the show Canada will never have a real shot at receiving an other team, expansion or relocation.

The fact of the matter is that Jim Balsillie was a potential owner with very deep pockets and who had a passion for the game, something the NHL needs more of. On top of that he was going to move the Predators to a market that would actually appreciate them, even if the on-ice product sucked. But Bettman, whether he was afraid of no longer being the star of the corporate NHL world, or his desire to not see an other Canadian team pop up, did all he could to block the deal, and it appears he succeeded. As long as he is running the show Canada will never have a chance at a seventh franchise, and you know that as much as I do STL. This was it, and Bettman did all he could to drive the point home the NHL wants nothing more to do with Canada.

So Gary Bettman wants to keep the Predators in a market that views hockey as a side show? He wants to keep the team in a city that didn't even bother to show up for games during an amazing season? A city who's corporate community couldn't give a rat's a$$ about hockey in general much less the local professional team? This situation was nipped before it even got started. Any feelings of "woo we saved the Preds!!!!" from Nashville will be gone by the time the puck drops on opening night. The team's attendance will continue to be among the NHL's worst, and the corporate community will continue to show lacklustre interest at best now that the threat of relocation is gone. The Preds will continue to prove that Nashville is a failed hockey market. Yet Gary Bettman will close himself off from reality and tell himself he saved NHL hockey in Nashville, and that the NHL is a mainstream league in the USA because of it, while all around him the NHL continues to sink to new lows, mainly because he and those he surrounds himself with have made it clear they don't want anything to do with real hockey fans, especially those living in the country that invented and perfected the modern game, the Dominion of Canada.

Garry Bettman and the "New NHL" don't want to have anything to do with Canada? Well as a Canadian who was robbed of a chance to see NHL hockey in my home country more then once every 19 years I'm saying I don't want to have anything to do with the NHL. I hope the Leafs continue to do well, and I'll still support them through thick and thin, but the league as a whole is irrelevant to me.

Today it was made very clear, the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto is more then just a celebration of the game's greatest stars, it's a memorial to a time when hockey belonged to the true fans.

So I take it you won't be going to any Leafs games or will be responding in any future topics about the NHL? When the NHL starts to lose die-hard fans in large amounts, that's when they should worry. Sodboy's post sums it up. When the seats in the ACC and Bell Centre are empty, that is when the league should begin to worry in my opinion.

-E.A.R.

Well, you Canadians could always split off, form your own little 8-team league, and adopt unique, quirky rules like a larger ice surface and an extra skater.

We Americans will admire your cutesy pluck, and some of us diehards will even follow your league as an interesting diversion.

I'll believe Canadians are fed up with the NHL when I start seeing non-sellouts in Toronto and Montreal on a regular basis, and plummeting ratings for HNIC.

Only one american has ruined the sport, Gary Bettman.

Ok, we'll take our Cup and go play by ourselves. It'll get better ratings that way

If this were Basketball, or Football, or Baseball or even Nascar there would be an uproar over how the Commissioner is handling the league. But there's barely a peep on the Sports radar over the actions of Gary Bettman somedays. There's your exposure Bettman. If you quit now maybe some newswire might pick it up

Wonderful news.

Leave Nashville put.

So I take it you won't be going to any Leafs games or will be responding in any future topics about the NHL? When the NHL starts to lose die-hard fans in large amounts, that's when they should worry. Sodboy's post sums it up. When the seats in the ACC and Bell Centre are empty, that is when the league should begin to worry in my opinion.

-E.A.R.

I've been to exactly one Leafs home game in my life, so I doubt that will be a problem.

Wonderful news.

Leave Nashville put.

I don't know if this is an anti-Canadian thing as much it is a territorial rights thing. The BOG is a very much scratch each others back and I'm sure Toronto and Buffalo do not want a team in Southern Ontario. Especially Buffalo who I would bet probably relies on people from Southern Ontario to come down to go to games. Even selling out every game the Sabres are on thin financially and the league is going to protect one of it's own over a potential new team. The league also "owes" the Leafs for not going behind the other back and making a deal during the lockout like some teams did in 1995.

Here's another separate thought this thing fell through (so far) apparently because Liepold wants Ballsillie to enter into a binding agreement which he has not yet. Rumors are that the Nashville corporate ticket drive as been successful do far and the team may reach the 14,000 mark. Also even if they fall just short the City Council will probably buy the remaining tickets which lock the team into the lease. Sure there is a buyout Ballsillie (if he does buy the team) but he will face lawsuits from the city and reluctance from the NHL to allow it because of the territorial rights issue above. So Ballsillie might be reluctant to enter into a binding agreement before he knows for sure what will happen with the cure clause.

True JKR. It is obvious that Balsillie wants to know for sure whether he can move the team before he agrees to pay way-too-much for the Preds.

If this sale does not end up going through because of blocking from the NHL BOG or Bettman, then they just made a big mistake.

Leopold will not get anywhere close to the 238 million for the Preds now. Because of this, franchise values across the league (and likely expansion fees) have dropped considerably.

True JKR. It is obvious that Balsillie wants to know for sure whether he can move the team before he agrees to pay way-too-much for the Preds.

If this sale does not end up going through because of blocking from the NHL BOG or Bettman, then they just made a big mistake.

Leopold will not get anywhere close to the 238 million for the Preds now. Because of this, franchise values across the league (and likely expansion fees) have dropped considerably.

I don't think this one sale will have a great effect on the franchise values for the other teams in the league. It will be minimal. First off he is still probably get more than what the estimated value of the team is worth. Secondly the big price is going to be seen as paying in order to get a team to move. The ability to move the team short term has a big effect on the price. Thus it's not going to have a big ripple effect across the league because not every team or sale is like that. Thus the effect it has on franchise values will be minimal and it may not be worth it from a league prospective if he is going to invade another teams territory (and possible sue to do so) and be a pain in the ass owner a la Al Davis. Especially for an owner that isn't planning on selling his team anytime soon thus the small increase in franchise value doesn't really matter.

Now if several teams sell for well above their estimated value then it will have a big effect across the team. 1 sale with unique circumstances isn't going to do that.

Thus the effect it has on franchise values will be minimal and it may not be worth it from a league prospective if he is going to invade another teams territory (and possible sue to do so) and be a pain in the ass owner a la Al Davis.

Again, I doubt "invading" the Leafs' or Sabres' territory will be an issue. Gary Bettman oversaw and approved of the Ducks setting up shop in the Kings' backyard. If that was ok then, it would be extremely hypocritical of the NHL to use the territorial excuse now.

As for the Al Davis comment, as a Chargers fan I'll be the first to say that Al Davis is indeed an a$$, and that his continued antics and tired persona are a stain on the NFL's image.

Yet I can't help thinking that Balsillie taking the Al Davis route will be good for the NHL. Lets all face it. Zer0dotcom was right. If any other Commissioner was handling their sport the way Bettman is handling the NHL there would be an uproar. Yet there isn't due to a lack of interest in hockey, so Bettman gets away with whatever he wants.

What we have here is a ex-NBA executive who has stripped away as much tradition as he can. He has no passion for the game, he doesn't understand hockey or its fans. Why he was even considered a candidate back in 1992 is beyond me. Maybe the NHL needs someone like Jim Balsillie to shake things up. He loves the game, he wants it to succeed, and he has deep pockets. He understands what hockey fans want. He may be just what the NHL needs. If we can't get rid of that rat-faced bastard known as Gary Bettman we can at least hope for an owner who get him to realize he needs to change his policies.

The sale hasn't fallen through at all. Leipold's just putting pressure on Balsille. He wants an agreement now ASAP, and then he will tell the BOG to consider Balsille.

Richard Rodier, Balsillie's lawyer, said in an email to The Associated Press that Leipold's letter to the NHL changes little. Rodier called the letter "no big deal" and suggested the sale would proceed.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=32296...mp;service=page

It may however cause Balsille to pay less for the team. If I were him, I'd be a little angry.

Thus the effect it has on franchise values will be minimal and it may not be worth it from a league prospective if he is going to invade another teams territory (and possible sue to do so) and be a pain in the ass owner a la Al Davis.

Again, I doubt "invading" the Leafs' or Sabres' territory will be an issue. Gary Bettman oversaw and approved of the Ducks setting up shop in the Kings' backyard. If that was ok then, it would be extremely hypocritical of the NHL to use the territorial excuse now.

As for the Al Davis comment, as a Chargers fan I'll be the first to say that Al Davis is indeed an a$$, and that his continued antics and tired persona are a stain on the NFL's image.

Yet I can't help thinking that Balsillie taking the Al Davis route will be good for the NHL. Lets all face it. Zer0dotcom was right. If any other Commissioner was handling their sport the way Bettman is handling the NHL there would be an uproar. Yet there isn't due to a lack of interest in hockey, so Bettman gets away with whatever he wants.

What we have here is a ex-NBA executive who has stripped away as much tradition as he can. He has no passion for the game, he doesn't understand hockey or its fans. Why he was even considered a candidate back in 1992 is beyond me. Maybe the NHL needs someone like Jim Balsillie to shake things up. He loves the game, he wants it to succeed, and he has deep pockets. He understands what hockey fans want. He may be just what the NHL needs. If we can't get rid of that rat-faced bastard known as Gary Bettman we can at least hope for an owner who get him to realize he needs to change his policies.

I know why they didn't play the "territorial rights" card back then...Southern California is a much larger market than the GTA with one fewer team.

Wonderful news.

Leave Nashville put.

This league should not expand for another decade. At least.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is a difference between the Los Angeles and the Buffalo. Buffalo is a much smaller market. As is Buffalo doesn't make money unless they go deep in the playoffs and that is with selling out every game. I don't know for sure but I would venture a guess that they rely on parts of Southern Ontario for support. They were one of the teams that help prevent Hamilton from getting an expansion team in 1991 (Which was before Bettman). Putting a team in their territory or just outside that would significantly hurt them and their chances to be successful long term. The league would be putting in a new team at the expense of another. Then there are the possible territorial rights fees to the Leafs that could leave a Hamilton team unprofitable as well.

There is a difference between the Los Angeles and the Buffalo. Buffalo is a much smaller market. As is Buffalo doesn't make money unless they go deep in the playoffs and that is with selling out every game. I don't know for sure but I would venture a guess that they rely on parts of Southern Ontario for support. They were one of the teams that help prevent Hamilton from getting an expansion team in 1991 (Which was before Bettman). Putting a team in their territory or just outside that would significantly hurt them and their chances to be successful long term. The league would be putting in a new team at the expense of another. Then there are the possible territorial rights fees to the Leafs that could leave a Hamilton team unprofitable as well.

Does any team make a large profit anymore? Buffalo sold out every game and only turned a playoff because of the playoffs. If a team sells out every game and leads the NHL in Merchandise sales, how could any team turn a big profit.

saBS.png

Archived