Nashville Predators Being Sold?

otherwilds

This could be the first franchise to move in a decade. Where will they go? My guess is either Kansas City, Kitchener-Waterloo, or Hamilton.

Kitchener-Waterloo is definitely a possibility. The area's growing economically. A new arena is all that would be needed to make it a true contender.

That said, as a Kitchener native, I'm not sure if I would want a team there. I've spent my life rooting for the Leafs. Talk about a predicament :unsure:

That said, KC is probably the number one contender, but Balsillie seems to be set on a southern Ontario market. Kitchener-Waterloo and Hamilton are the only viable options, and I see Hamilton as being the top contender there. They already have a NHL-sized rink, it just needs to be renovated, and they have a larger population by about 200,000 people.

So hello Hamilton Tigers!*

*Assuming Bettman's not blind to the lack of support in Nashville, which I admit is a pretty big assumption.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could be the first franchise to move in a decade. Where will they go? My guess is either Kansas City, Kitchener-Waterloo, or Hamilton.

Kitchener-Waterloo is definitely a possibility. The area's growing economically. A new arena is all that would be needed to make it a true contender.

That said, as a Kitchener native, I'm not sure if I would want a team there. I've spent my life rooting for the Leafs. Talk about a predicament :unsure:

That said, KC is probably the number one contender, but Balsillie seems to be set on a southern Ontario market. Kitchener-Waterloo and Hamilton are the only viable options, and I see Hamilton as being the top contender there. They already have a NHL-sized rink, it just needs to be renovated, and they have a larger population by about 200,000 people.

So hello Hamilton Tigers!*

*Assuming Bettman's not blind to the lack of support in Nashville, which I admit is a pretty big assumption.

They would most certainly have to do more than renovate the existing arena. I don't think the NHL would approve any move that wasn't to a brand new arena no matter where the location. They might use the existing arena a temporary one but a new one would have to be built within 2-3 years.

Let's be very clear on who Balsillie is...

He is one of the most prolific businessman this country has seen in years.

He will not get into a losing endeavour.

That being said, my money (all 3 dollars) is on Hamilton.

Despite is proximity to Buffalo and Toronto, it has enough of a fan base to start with, and would have great TV deals exposure. Doesn't Balsillie have a deal of some kind with Copps Coliseum? (I thought it was mentioned in the Penguins deal...)

I like the geographical footprint of the NHL as it is, and don't think it's necessarily good for the League to concentrate in the Ontario Region, but if it allows me to go to games without being [fill-in the blank with any violent dispicable act you can think of] by MLSE, then I'm all for it.

It would create a nightmare divisional realignement.

I can see Boston leaving to the Atlantic with Pittsburgh taking Nashville spot...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

This is food for thought:

About a week ago, Gary Bettman said that if a team were to come back to Canada, he'd "like to look at Winnipeg first."

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/video/latest/2007..._Winnipeg_Jets_

Of course, Gary Bettman is the king of lip-service, but this is a far cry from his tune a couple years ago when he dismissed the idea of ever going back to the 'peg.

It may speak more about how Bettman would like to avoid ever putting another team in Canada.

They are not going to Winnipeg.

They also are not going to KC.....

Nashville Predators off market?

Predators, a possible Sprint Center tenant, reportedly will be sold to Canadian billionaire.

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

The NHL?s Nashville Predators ? viewed as a possible relocation candidate for Kansas City?s Sprint Center ? could be off the market.

Jim Balsillie, the Canadian billionaire who nearly bought the Pittsburgh Penguins several months ago, has reached an agreement to buy the Predators, according to reports in Canada.

Predators owner Craig Leipold reportedly met with the NHL Board of Governors on Wednesday afternoon and then informed his staff of the developments. A news conference could be held as soon as today.

Balsillie, co-chief and executive officer of Research In Motion and inventor of the BlackBerry, likely will want to move the club to Hamilton, Ontario. That possibility became a point of contention with the NHL when he was trying to purchase the Penguins and led to his withdrawing his offer.

William Del Biaggio Jr., who has a contract to own and operate an NHL franchise at Sprint Center, also had talked with the Predators. Though disappointed the Predators may be out of the picture for the Sprint Center, Del Biaggio called the sale of the Predators ?good news? for Kansas City.

?It helps one of the troubled franchises in the league, and once all the franchises are healthy, it makes it easier for the league to expand,? he said.

Balsillie?s bid still needs to be approved by the NHL?s Board of Governors at their June meeting. Leipold reportedly told the Predators? front-office personnel that the team will remain in Nashville for at least the upcoming season but made no promise for the future.

To reach Randy Covitz, call 816-234-4796 or send e-mail to rcovitz@kcstar.com

They are not going to Winnipeg.

Balsillie, co-chief and executive officer of Research In Motion and inventor of the BlackBerry, likely will want to move the club to Hamilton, Ontario. That possibility became a point of contention with the NHL when he was trying to purchase the Penguins and led to his withdrawing his offer.

Leipold reportedly told the Predators? front-office personnel that the team will remain in Nashville for at least the upcoming season but made no promise for the future.

Emphasis added.

I see nothing there that excludes Winnipeg (barring the discussion already in progress elsewhere).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

If they go to Hamilton, there's no need to make a new logo and uniform!

Anyone remember the Canadian TV show "Power Play?"

That was a great show, didn't last very long though -- I believe they ended up moving to Houston.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Your right, Phil. It said nothing about them not moving.

I should have seperated my personal comment further from the article.

I don't think they are moving to Winnipeg. No disrespect intended. I just don't think the NHL want to go there. at least not yet...

If they go to Hamilton, there's no need to make a new logo and uniform!

Anyone remember the Canadian TV show "Power Play?"

That was a great show, didn't last very long though -- I believe they ended up moving to Houston.

.... which could very well happen if Basillie moves the team to Hamilton and the franchise doesn't work out there....^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Doesn't Balsillie have a deal of some kind with Copps Coliseum? (I thought it was mentioned in the Penguins deal...)

Yeah, he's the only one allowed to own a NHL team that would play out of the Copps Coliseum.

They would most certainly have to do more than renovate the existing arena. I don't think the NHL would approve any move that wasn't to a brand new arena no matter where the location. They might use the existing arena a temporary one but a new one would have to be built within 2-3 years.

That sound likely. Sort of a San Jose Sharks/Cow Palace deal.

Lets forget about original6 (for good) and focus on the news.

I can't see Balsillie keeping the team in Nashville past next season. It's hard to ignore the timing of this sale - just weeks before the team decides on whether to exercise an out-clause to move the team.

Although I wish it were so, I don't think Winnipeg is on Balsillie's radar.

And i'm absolutely fine with either Kitchener-Waterloo or Hamilton. Say what you will, I think the NHL benefits from more Canadian squads.

I'd rather have a team supported by Canadian diehards than some flounder in some larger American city where fan reaction is tepid, at best. And I don't think Balsillie's buying the team for any other option than to have them in Ontario at some point. KC? Makes no sense for him.

I didn't want him uprooting the Pens since American support in that town for hockey is as good as it gets, but I have no problem with him uprooting a franchise out of football country. Go Balsillie, go.

Kitchener-Waterloo? Hamilton? You can't be serious.

Why? Probably makes more sense than sticking it in another American market that would probably provide marginal support (i.e. KC).

What's the last Canadian region that actually has some corporate clout and money without an NHL franchise? There you go. (Sorry, Jets fans)

I'd just like to point out that the Preds AHL affiliate is in a perfectly good (and much more traditional) hockey market. And it's home to some of the best indoor ice facitilies in the US.

That's a good point.

I've wondered for some time if Leipold ever considered moving the Preds to Milwaukee, considering the fact that he still lives in Wisconsin.

Wherever they move, I hope we keep the affiliation.

I'd just like to point out that the Preds AHL affiliate is in a perfectly good (and much more traditional) hockey market. And it's home to some of the best indoor ice facitilies in the US.

That's a good point.

I've wondered for some time if Leipold ever considered moving the Preds to Milwaukee, considering the fact that he still lives in Wisconsin.

Wherever they move, I hope we keep the affiliation.

Speculation here is that this frees up Leipold to buy the Bucks.

It's where I sit.

Research In Motion/Blackberry(Balsillie's company) just bought 26 acres of land in Cambridge as was reported last Friday. Right by the highway. Plus they didn't want to say anything about it last week.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/news/news_792440.html

That article seems to think it's for a new headquarters. I seem to think it's just about the right size for a new arena.

Any reason why Milwaukee has never been bandied about as a potential destination for an NHL franchise? Arena issues? I would have thought that the region would have made it a natural choice.

How's support for Badger hockey?

I think the arena is the major factor, along with concerns that, as a smaller city, it couldn't support a fourth major league team. It would, IIRC, be the smallest city to have all four.

The Bradley Center (where the Bucks play) was built with private money by a philanthropic family that owned the Admirals. They publicly talked about using it to lure an NHL franchise at the time.

Now, I think it's probably too old. Shame, too - the Milwaukee Admirals would be playing in their fifth league. :D

Research In Motion/Blackberry(Balsillie's company) just bought 26 acres of land in Cambridge as was reported last Friday. Right by the highway. Plus they didn't want to say anything about it last week.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/news/news_792440.html

That article seems to think it's for a new headquarters. I seem to think it's just about the right size for a new arena.

That's a great catch there. Certainly, what in the heck does Balsillie need with 26 acres, and I don't think it's for a new campus hq... If so, why the silence?

Archived