Marlins agree to change

TBGKon

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/070524/story7.shtml

Looks like if the Marlins get a ballpark built in Miami-Dade County, they'll change their locale name to Miami and move spring training to Homestead, at the venue where the Indians were set to move to before Hurricane Andrew badly damaged the area. Looks like we may see a return of this logo:

FLA_1021.gif

That is terrific news Miami deserves a new baseball stadium, they have won two World series despite all the problems, maybe now they will get some stability.

Also Miami Marlins rolls of the tounge.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I like the state names, I also like tradition if you can call it that with this team, but nothing is wrong with Florida, I realize why they are might do it but still. I wish the Angels would go back to California Angels, to me it is a much better name.

There is no way the Marlins move to Homestead. This will add up to two hours to already long (and expensive) bus rides for the team in the GL. The Roger Dean Complex is such a beautiful facility aesthetically and from a player development standpoint, I can't see the Marlins leaving.

1997 | 2003

There is no way the Marlins move to Homestead. This will add up to two hours to already long (and expensive) bus rides for the team in the GL. The Roger Dean Complex is such a beautiful facility aesthetically and from a player development standpoint, I can't see the Marlins leaving.

Well they share Roger Dean with the Cardinals maybe they want a ST site of their own.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well they share Roger Dean with the Cardinals maybe they want a ST site of their own.

It's cheaper to share a facility because of reduced travel expenses and shared maintenance cost. Loria and Samson have gone on record in the past saying how much they love Roger Dean as the spring training home of the team.

1997 | 2003

I like the state names, I also like tradition if you can call it that with this team, but nothing is wrong with Florida, I realize why they are might do it but still. I wish the Angels would go back to California Angels, to me it is a much better name.

State names make sense if there is only one team in the state, and hence, the team represents the entire state. For example, the Minnesota Twins.

Names like the California Angels and Florida Marlins don't make any sense, because both California and Florida have other teams. If I live in San Francisco, California or Tampa, Florida, I'm going to root for my local team, despite the fact that there's a team purporting to represent the state I live in.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

State names make sense if there is only one team in the state, and hence, the team represents the entire state. For example, the Minnesota Twins.

Names like the California Angels and Florida Marlins don't make any sense, because both California and Florida have other teams. If I live in San Francisco, California or Tampa, Florida, I'm going to root for my local team, despite the fact that there's a team purporting to represent the state I live in.

You do realize when both those teams were granted franchises they were the only team in the state in their league? When the Angels moved out to Anaheim they were the only American League team in California. Remember then the leagues were more separate than today. In the case of the Marlins they still are the only Florida team in the National League (as Tampa is in the American League) and also when they came into baseball they were the only Florida team.

does this mean the Miami Marlins will play the Chicago Cubs in the World Series and the Cubs win the pennant? :hockeysmiley: Wouldn't mind seeing Marlins and Cubs in the WOrld series.

100 to 1 shot. Ahhhhhhhhhh..........Back to the Future trilogy. Great movie. The only thing is they had the Maimi team featured as a Gator.

2qluyo7.png

does this mean the Miami Marlins will play the Chicago Cubs in the World Series and the Cubs win the pennant? :hockeysmiley: Wouldn't mind seeing Marlins and Cubs in the WOrld series.

100 to 1 shot. Ahhhhhhhhhh..........Back to the Future trilogy. Great movie. The only thing is they had the Maimi team featured as a Gator.

I thought they were the Miami Sharks?

This is old news. The team signed an agreement years ago guaranteeing this if a new stadium was built anywhere in the county.

This isn't the first time that the idea has been floated, but this particular agreement is new.

I think it's a huge improvement - hopefully, they'll put marlinfan's avatar on the sleeves next. :D

I thought they were the Miami Sharks?

Nope, either before or after Marty sees that Miami beats the Cubs... a 3d Shark comes out and bites his head. The shark is an ad for Jaws 20, or something.

Oh. Haven't watched it for a couple years. My brother as the triliogy. I may have to borrow it again.

Archived