Marlins to change name to Miami

simpsontide

I'm not a big fan of state names either. And, especially dislike names that aren't from the city the team plays in (ie. New York Jets, Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Detriot Pistons, etc.)

We've been over this before - the Jets and Giants play in New York City's suburbs. No reason they can't claim the city name.

Even though the two teams right across the parking lot in the Meadowlands are the New Jersey Nets (soon to be Brooklyn) and New Jersey Devils (to play in Trenton next year)

And Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Anaheim is a good 40 miles from LA. I would know. Its usually about an hour's drive without factoring in the various traffic.

I wouldve taken OC Angels, reverting back to California Angels (though there are 5 teams in California), or sticking with Anaheim.

Also whats up with the Tampa Bay D-Rays playing in St. Pete and the Tampa Bay Lightning playing in the St.Pete Times Forum (I know theyre still situated on the Tampa Bay water but still)

And the Golden State thing bothers me. Thats just ridiculous in my opinion. Until about 3 years ago I had no idea where the Golden State Warriors played (Im 17 btw) There is already the Sacramento Kings, then LA Lakers and Clippers in California. San Francisco or Oakland Warriors sounds just fine. Heck, I'd take Bay Area Warriors or Bay Warriors.

I'm fine with Texas Rangers because it makes sense because that actually existed. Colorado (Rockies, Avalanche) is good too because Denver is isolated so theyre extending out. but then again Colorado Broncos doesnt work with me.

One that does bug me

New England Patriots. I know that they have fans all up in that area. If thats the case why not NE Red Sox, NE Bruins, NE Celtics. I know they play out of the way in Foxborough. And it works for history's sake, but thats like calling any new york/philly/new jersey team the Tri-State whatever or the Tri-Cities whatever.

I wouldnt also mind that the Washington, D.C. teams were called DC whatever, like the DC United. I also thought the Redskins were in Washington state for a while.

Anyways. Long first post.

You complain about teams not accurately representing their city name properly, yet you have no problem with "San Francisco Warriors"??? And Bay Area Warriors? Um, no. :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tampa Bay Lightning play in the St. Pete Times Forum, which is located in the city of Tampa. The naming rights to the former Ice Palace were sold to the St. Petersburg Times, the largest newspaper in Florida.

A particularly delicious irony, given the reported distaste Tampans have for St. Petersburg.... :P

I'm not a big fan of state names either. And, especially dislike names that aren't from the city the team plays in (ie. New York Jets, Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Detriot Pistons, etc.)

We've been over this before - the Jets and Giants play in New York City's suburbs. No reason they can't claim the city name.

Even though the two teams right across the parking lot in the Meadowlands are the New Jersey Nets (soon to be Brooklyn) and New Jersey Devils (to play in Trenton next year)

And Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Anaheim is a good 40 miles from LA. I would know. Its usually about an hour's drive without factoring in the various traffic.

I wouldve taken OC Angels, reverting back to California Angels (though there are 5 teams in California), or sticking with Anaheim.

Also whats up with the Tampa Bay D-Rays playing in St. Pete and the Tampa Bay Lightning playing in the St.Pete Times Forum (I know theyre still situated on the Tampa Bay water but still)

And the Golden State thing bothers me. Thats just ridiculous in my opinion. Until about 3 years ago I had no idea where the Golden State Warriors played (Im 17 btw) There is already the Sacramento Kings, then LA Lakers and Clippers in California. San Francisco or Oakland Warriors sounds just fine. Heck, I'd take Bay Area Warriors or Bay Warriors.

I'm fine with Texas Rangers because it makes sense because that actually existed. Colorado (Rockies, Avalanche) is good too because Denver is isolated so theyre extending out. but then again Colorado Broncos doesnt work with me.

One that does bug me

New England Patriots. I know that they have fans all up in that area. If thats the case why not NE Red Sox, NE Bruins, NE Celtics. I know they play out of the way in Foxborough. And it works for history's sake, but thats like calling any new york/philly/new jersey team the Tri-State whatever or the Tri-Cities whatever.

I wouldnt also mind that the Washington, D.C. teams were called DC whatever, like the DC United. I also thought the Redskins were in Washington state for a while.

So basically you have issues when something is not being accurately represented or advertised....man you'd hate the world of marketing :P

New Jersey Devils are playing in Newark next year not Trenton

And also in Trenton. The ECHL Trenton Titans have been renamed and rebranded as the Trenton Devils. They're even wearing the big club's "NJ" monogram on their sweaters.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My contention is that a state has more than one team in that professional sport, then the state name should rarely be used. There are some exceptions -- Texas Rangers, because of the law enforcement agency, and Florida Panthers, because it's the name of a type of panther.

Even still, state names should be rarely used. Minnesota is used because you don't want to call the teams Minneapolis-St. Paul. I have problems seeing Arizona and Colorado, for example, being used so frequently when they could just as well be called Phoenix and Denver.

So Florida Marlins never fit, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, Miami Marlins was the name of minor league team, so it only made sense to call them the Miami Marlins all along.

Contrary to what the history books will tell you about the 'FLORIDA' moniker, the biggest reason the franchise wasn't 'MIAMI MARLINS' from the beginning was because of the intense 'hate' Wayne Huizenga has for the city of Miami.

It has been said by a few if the Dolphins didn't have so much history attached to the name Wayne would have renamed them the South Florida Dolphins a long time ago.

1997 | 2003

One that does bug me

You complain about teams not accurately representing their city name properly, yet you have no problem with "San Francisco Warriors"??? And Bay Area Warriors? Um, no. :D

From what I can remember, the Golden State Warriors were the San Francisco Warriors when they first moved from Philadelphia and they were playing at the old Cow Palace which was in San Francisco.

the old Cow Palace which was in San Francisco.

the Cow Palace still stands and is still used......from time to time.

Great old barn. I've seen a few concerts there and a boat show in the past couple of years.

disagree on the great part. agree on the old part.

not to mention the oh so hospitable Geneva Street neighborhood :rolleyes:

Archived