Monochrome Madness

OB33

From SI.com's FanNation:

Look for the Minnesota football team, under new coach Tim Brewster, to switch from gold to maroon pants for road games this year, and to wear gold pants with gold jerseys for the Ohio State game Sept. 29 at the Metrodome. Minnesota plans to wear maroon pants and maroon jerseys for the Wisconsin game Nov. 17 at the Dome. The Gophers are switching from black shoes to white shoes next season.

Here's the link: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/4472

I would try and link to the actual article in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, but I didn't feel like registering.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Fantastic news.

The maroon helmet/white jersey/gold pants away kit was abysmally bad. The home kit was decent, but it will be cool to see what it looks like in the new form. Hopefully it's a step towards looking more like their hockey team does; good.

Gold on gold? Oh man. I remember seeing clips from a Wisconsin-Iowa State game where the 'Clones had somethin' similiar (red helmet, yellow-gold jersey, yellow-gold pants) and thought they looked like a Pop Warner squad.

Sad thing is, the gold jersey would probably work if they wore maroon pants with them.

Gold on gold? Oh man. I remember seeing clips from a Wisconsin-Iowa State game where the 'Clones had somethin' similiar (red helmet, yellow-gold jersey, yellow-gold pants) and thought they looked like a Pop Warner squad.

Sad thing is, the gold jersey would probably work if they wore maroon pants with them.

Exactly: Minnesota's gold looks great with lots of maroon. But anything that's mostly that shade of gold will look terrible. And an all-maroon uniform is no great shakes either. You have two colors, they look good together, why mess with what works? It's not like unitard football uniforms are going to help the Gophers win.

Not that I'm a stuck-in-the-mud alum or anything.

20082614447.png

and to wear gold pants with gold jerseys for the Ohio State game Sept. 29 at the Metrodome.

Oh my god, my Gophers are going to look horrible AND get their clocks cleaned on the same night. :mad:

I like the idea of wearing all maroon against the badgers, though.

edit: On a side note, I just realized that this means they've finally canned Glen Mason. The Gophers can wear pink and green out there and I'll be happy, as long as that idiot isn't coaching the team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they say that the Gophers will be wearing GOLD they actually mean YELLOW, right? They aren't going to actually wear the same color of gold as the Fighting Irish or BC Eagles wear, correct?

This has always driven me crazy. I understand full well why people call certain shades or hues of yellow GOLD but seeing that teams now wear actual realistic and brilliant gold colors makes me wish people would stop refering to yellow as GOLD. For example, the Redskins don't wear Burgundy and GOLD...they wear Burgundy and YELLOW in my opinion. I'm sure other people have constrasting opinions on this , but my take is lets call a spade a spade in this situation. Dumb rant I know, but it bothered me enough to mention it.

Gold jerseys and gold pants?

Why?!!

I guess the Gopher's football team wearing Gold was the whole reason the team got the Golden Gophers nickname in the first place. Of course, that doesn't mean it will be a good look for the team when they play the Buckeyes. Maroon on maroon could be even worse. It would be nice to see a gold jersey/white pants combo--something like this one I whipped up using the Nike uniform creator:

UofMUniform-alt1.jpg

Rumor also has it that the Gophers are going to get rid off all the black that was being used (on the helmet logo as well as sideline gear), so maybe Brewster does some taste after all. With a new stadium being built, the Gophers need to try to readopt their old football tradition as much as possible (though I guess most of the Gophers' winning tradition dates back to the years of leather helmets).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Paul Lukas is going to have a conniption fit over that all-gold. The others are pretty nice, but I still prefer the maroon over gold for the home games with the single color numbers. Why they never made the swoosh on the jersey in gold still befuddles me.

gophersviowa322cm2.jpg

I think those roads will be great, and I wouldn't mind having a yellow jersey IF it were worn with the maroon pants (if hockey can do it, why not football?). Heck, I might even like to see that on the road a couple of times a year.

But I don't like yellow-on-yellow, and I certainly don't want to see white outlines on the maroon uniform.

I think those roads will be great, and I wouldn't mind having a yellow jersey IF it were worn with the maroon pants (if hockey can do it, why not football?). Heck, I might even like to see that on the road a couple of times a year.

But I don't like yellow-on-yellow, and I certainly don't want to see white outlines on the maroon uniform.

untitled3zd8.png

Archived