Kobe wants West to return to Lakers with full authority

GreenShoe

Kobe Bryant isn't happy with the Lakers' direction and wants Jerry West back in Los Angeles to fix things.

Bryant told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that he wants the Lakers to bring West back to the organization and give him full authority. If the Lakers don't want to do that, Bryant said he wants to be traded.

Bryant is frustrated that the team has not made any significant moves since it re-signed him.

"I want to see us get to a contending level," he told The Los Angeles Times. "I want to see us become a championship contender. It's been a frustrating process for me and I'm sure it's been a frustrating process for all Laker fans. I'm just hoping we can get to that level. I'm still frustrated. I'm waiting for them to make some changes."

Mitch Kupchak is the current Lakers general manager.

West, who spent five seasons in Memphis, will leave his post as the Grizzlies' director of basketball operations July 1 at the end of his contract. West helped build the Lakers' dynasty in the '80s and engineered their rebirth in the '90s, overseeing seven NBA championship teams -- including back-to-back champions in 1987-1988 and three consecutive crowns from 2000-2002.

In Memphis, West never had the advantages he enjoyed in the large market of Los Angeles, where he signed Shaquille O'Neal and traded Vlade Divac for Bryant.

Bryant averaged 31.6 points per game in 2007 as the Lakers qualified for the seventh seed in the Western Conference with a 42-40 record. Los Angeles lost in five games to the Suns, however, and the Lakers haven't won a championship since O'Neal was traded to the Heat.

I SAY TRADE HIM TO BOSTON, NEW YORK OR PHILADELPHIA. THEY ARE THE 3 MOST IMPORTANT FRANCHISES IN THE EAST AND THEY ALL SUCK. NOT GOOD FOR NBA BUSINESS.

You do realize that the Lakers are one of, if not the biggest pro basketball organization in the NBA. Trust me, as the highest scoring star in the leauge, Kobe should stay with them.

If the Lakers trade Kobe, they're gonna be in the cellar for probably the next decade. Then they'll be tanking for the lottery, and some team like the Pacers will end up getting the 1st pick in the draft, then people will start complaining about how the lottery is messed up, when it's probably as close to perfect as it gets.

But I digress, point is this: Kobe needs to stay with the Lakers, and Jerry West needs to stay in Memphis, because they aren't THAT bad. They are a Pau Gasol away from the playoffs.

If the Lakers trade Kobe, they're gonna be in the cellar for probably the next decade. Then they'll be tanking for the lottery, and some team like the Pacers will end up getting the 1st pick in the draft, then people will start complaining about how the lottery is messed up, when it's probably as close to perfect as it gets.

But I digress, point is this: Kobe needs to stay with the Lakers, and Jerry West needs to stay in Memphis, because they aren't THAT bad. They are a Pau Gasol away from the playoffs.

Well, I think Jerry West was planning on leaving Memphis after this season anyway, and I think him coming back to the Lakers would be a lot better than the current "management" that hasn't made any moves. This sounds a lot like the Brett Favre talk a couple weeks ago, in that Kobe wants improvements, and I agree with Kobe on this one. I would be in favor of any trade package for a superstar (such as...oh....I don't know....KEVIN GARNETT!), even if it means these so-called "future stars" will be gone. A team with Kobe and KG (or TMac or anyone else of that caliber) is miles better than a team with Kobe, Lamar Odom, and a bunch of scrubs.

Well, I think Jerry West was planning on leaving Memphis after this season anyway, and I think him coming back to the Lakers would be a lot better than the current "management" that hasn't made any moves. This sounds a lot like the Brett Favre talk a couple weeks ago, in that Kobe wants improvements, and I agree with Kobe on this one. I would be in favor of any trade package for a superstar (such as...oh....I don't know....KEVIN GARNETT!), even if it means these so-called "future stars" will be gone. A team with Kobe and KG (or TMac or anyone else of that caliber) is miles better than a team with Kobe, Lamar Odom, and a bunch of scrubs.

Agreed. Plus you're not going to win championships with Smush Parker or Jordan Farmar as your PG. They should've picked up Jason Kidd when they had the chance. I know Andrew Bynum has "potential" but didn't Sam Bowie or Marvin Williams have a lot of potential? They're too high on Bynum. At best, Bynum would reach half of what Shaq's best. It's now or never.

Maybe if the Lakers brought in Jerry West he could figure out how to get them, oh, I don't know, a dominant center that could help them win multiple championships by deflecting the defense's attention away from Kobe.

I'd say they don't even need an actual center, just a dominant big man like KG who can take it inside AND shoot it from outside. That's double trouble, and if you got a couple decent shooters in the starting lineup, it could be trouble for other teams.

Well if we do trade Kobe, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers don't make the playoffs for at least a decade. Trading Shaq was bad enough (although we probably had to do it eventually), but if we traded Kobe I think we would automatically be a bottom-five team in the NBA for a long, long time. And then of course, we would have one of the worst records, be accused of "tanking", and end up losing the number 1 pick to Portland again.

Bottom line: Bring back West, get KG! If not, I see no way Kobe wants to stay with us.

Bottom line: Bring back West, get KG! If not, I see no way Kobe wants to stay with us.

didn't I read in there somewhere that West didn't want to come back, I think the man wants to retire, I think Kobe will be traded to either teh Sixers or Celtics imo.

My scenario....

Lakers get- Marquis Daniels, Jamaal Tinsley from Indiana and Jamal Crawford, Mardy Collins from New York

Pacers get- Quentin Richardson, Steve Francis from New York and Lamar Odom from LA

Knicks get-Jermaine O'Neal, David Harrison from Indiana and Kobe Bryant from LA

and the salary cap allows it too

I love this golden age of sports.

Players hire/fire coaches/GMs, outfit their team like tools or suggest their school change colors (ahem Vince Young), demand trades, heck, even demand where they are drafted (Eli), and even suggest whole franchises move (Ricky Williams wanted the Saints to go to San Antonio). I wish some of these tools would have the guts to look in the mirror and say "I have talent, riches, fame, and women. Although I'm not having the greatest of times right now, what more do I need? In fact, there's the guy who spent his whole paycheck to take his family to see me do what I do for fun."

What I'd like to say to Kobe and people like him would be that I work 50 hours per week, I don't really like my boss or my job, but it gets me through. Be thankful for what you have because there would no way you would trade our lives.

I wish you could hear my snarling little laugh like Marcy Darcy on Married With Children. I AM SO GLAD THEY ARE GOING THROUGH THESE PROBLEMS Just like the Yankees, the Lakers are trying so hard to stay relevant. If they win the NBA Finals in '08, it'll be a friggin miracle. And BTW Kobe, shut the ... ...

(my soap box just collapsed)

I wish you could hear my snarling little laugh like Marcy Darcy on Married With Children. I AM SO GLAD THEY ARE GOING THROUGH THESE PROBLEMS Just like the Yankees, the Lakers are trying so hard to stay relevant. If they win the NBA Finals in '08, it'll be a friggin miracle. And BTW Kobe, shut the ... ...

(my soap box just collapsed)

Sour grapes from 2000?

:P

Archived