Colorado Rockies Alternate v2.0

ravenmaster

Well, my last concept didn't go over too well (for obvious reasons which I am aware of now, thank you all for the constructive criticism). Anyway, I tried again with this one:

RockiesAlternateII.png

I removed the gaudy racing stripes and toned down the overall nuclear factor of the colours; yellow is now more of an accent and seem sparsely instead of, well, everywhere. I borrowed some of the design elements from other Rockies jerseys while keeping with the state flag theme; the CR on the stirrups is from the first season of the Rockies. Hopefully the striping on the stirrups works out. The weirdest thing on the uniform is the hat, because I decided to do something different.

Comments, constructive criticism, and anything else is welcome.

Oh, and I do realize how bad the red brim on the hat looks, I apologize, perhaps I could ask which colour you all think would work better?

You are using way too many colors in this jersey. Currently it contains red, blue, yellow, white, black, silver, and purple. If you want to use the state flag theme, then you need to ditch black silver and purple.

Also, the blue that's being used looks very close to purple (if it's supposed to be purple, then you're looking at one wierd Colorado flag). Try using the navy blue given on the color palate in paint.

To be honest, the hat looks flat out ridiculous. There are an amazing amount of problems with it. To adress the big ones ditch the number on the hat. It works for Alabama football helmets, not Rockies caps. Second make the cap blue with red brim and use the logo on the jersey chest. In fact, ditch the interlocking CR all together. Make a new interlocking CR using the number script which, by they way, looks great on this jersey.

My one problem with the numbers is that the ones on the back look insanely small and the ones on the front make the jersey too busy, imo.

I like the idea of the stirrups and its reference to the old rainbow Nuggets jerseys, but it's redundant if you use blue socks as well. Try red.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

all right, all right, I get it. I'll stop trying with this idea.

Don't listen to them--while there are numerous issues with the concept, it has definite promise.

The problem is you're trying to do too much. You're using the Colorado flag colors and the Rockies colors. You're using the Colorado flag logo and the Rockies' logo. And you're trying way too many out-of-the-box ideas with the hat number, the red stripe where the buttons are and the crazy stirrups.

Stick with the Colorado flag colors and logo. Maybe you can use the Colorado flag C and create an interlocking R in the same font. Or, put the Rockies' CR on it in the flag colors and then have the entire flag as a sleeve patch. But whatever you do, make sure all the elements have some common theme to them.

Here's hoping you try again...you're thinking creatively if nothing else. And you obviously are putting effort into it. Too many people on here (cough, cough, patsox, cough) just take five minutes to recolor the logo (and ignore issues like uneven stripes and gaps between elements where there should be no gaps) and call it a full-blown concept, then ignore people's suggestions. You're really trying, so keep at it.

Don't listen to them--while there are numerous issues with the concept, it has definite promise.

...n...no, it really doesn't. Look, I appreciate a solid effort as much as the next guy, but you're insane and/or blind to believe that this concept is even remotely on the right track.

To the original poster -- don't take our comments/criticism as detrimental to your work. Instead, consider it part of your trial-and-error learning process. Now you know one of the approaches that doesn't work. Head back to the drawing board and give it another shot. I look forward to seeing your next effort.

The problem is you're trying to do too much. You're using the Colorado flag colors and the Rockies colors. You're using the Colorado flag logo and the Rockies' logo. And you're trying way too many out-of-the-box ideas with the hat number, the red stripe where the buttons are and the crazy stirrups.

Stick with the Colorado flag colors and logo. Maybe you can use the Colorado flag C and create an interlocking R in the same font. Or, put the Rockies' CR on it in the flag colors and then have the entire flag as a sleeve patch. But whatever you do, make sure all the elements have some common theme to them.

Here's hoping you try again...you're thinking creatively if nothing else. And you obviously are putting effort into it. Too many people on here (cough, cough, patsox, cough) just take five minutes to recolor the logo (and ignore issues like uneven stripes and gaps between elements where there should be no gaps) and call it a full-blown concept, then ignore people's suggestions. You're really trying, so keep at it.

No, dude. He's tried twice and failed both times. Not on him artistically, but the idea itself just doesn't have the potiential for a good design. He should move on and try other ideas.

No, dude. He's tried twice and failed both times. Not on him artistically, but the idea itself just doesn't have the potiential for a good design. He should move on and try other ideas.

Exactly. I do disagree with McCall on one point - there IS a good Rockies concept using the state flag colors and logo in there somewhere. But you've come up way short both times.

Extending the colored area around the neck all the way through the button placket area: DOWNGRADE.

Adding "faux-vest" contrast-colored sleeves: DOWNGRADE.

Keeping the state flag motif but incorporating the "CR" monogram and silver/purple scheme of the current unis: DOWNGRADE.

Adding gold belts... which also means gold shoes: DOWNGRADE.

Putting the current monogram/colors on the hat with player numbers: MAJOR DOWNGRADE... and WTF? :blink:

Making the hat even blacker when there isn't black anywhere on the uniform: DOWNGRADE.

Adding blue sanitary socks beneath stirrups that are blue, not the same shade but different enough to look like a huge oversight: DOWNGRADE.

Adding stripe effects to the stirrups themselves, which very few wear any more and even fewer show: DOWNGRADE.

I don't want to be harsh, but these don't look even remotely like something a team of clowns would deign to wear, much less a pro team at the sport's highest level. These are downright wretched. These are as bad as the first try, with the heinous incorporation of the "what the hell, let's mix & match insignias from different uniforms and just throw 'em all on there, who cares what it's gonna look like?" strategy. The reason one uniform replaces another entirely is that they're not intended to work together. Old replaces new. Mix & match uniforms reveal a dire lack of forethought into your work. Even if this took you a week to do, it looks like you churned it out in 5 minutes of furious cutting and pasting, then coloring huge tracts of fabric with the eyedropper tool.

Like I said, there is a good concept using this motif, but you're missing by a country mile. Put some research and planning into your concept, and work diligently to make it look professional and classy. We'll be here when you get back.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

All I was saying was that the idea of an alternate jersey based on the flag was a good one. He's trying, so give him that--all he was getting was rude, sarcastic negative responses without suggestions or explanations of why. If he's going to learn, he needs to have good feedback, and he also needs to have the good things pointed out so he has some idea of where to go with the concept. The idea of using the flag is a good one, but the execution was poor.

EDIT: This is a concept I did in Illustrator, taking some of his ideas and putting them together in a simpler package--call it my take on his concept. This just shows that some of his ideas had merit, and with work it could turn into something worthwhile.

Colorado-Alt.png

See, now that kind of thing is helpful and pretty awesome in its own right. If I had greater skill with MS Paint, maybe I could do something like that, but at this moment, I'm just trying to see what works. And that (post above) does. Bravo.

Archived