Font Permissions in Logos

rtrich11

Many people who sell a logo to a team, school, or organization customize their fonts beyond recognition. If somebody uses a font as is, or with minor modifications, how are the permissions done? Does that team buy the font from the source or does the designer? And either way, does anyone have to set up any special arrangement for that use? Then, of course, how much does that usually cost?

I work for a publishing company and font ownerships/permissions are a big deal. Sometimes we buy fonts and have time-limited agreements for certain books only. Gets crazy.

Just looking for insight.

Thanks.

Many people who sell a logo to a team, school, or organization customize their fonts beyond recognition. If somebody uses a font as is, or with minor modifications, how are the permissions done? Does that team buy the font from the source or does the designer? And either way, does anyone have to set up any special arrangement for that use? Then, of course, how much does that usually cost?

I work for a publishing company and font ownerships/permissions are a big deal. Sometimes we buy fonts and have time-limited agreements for certain books only. Gets crazy.

Just looking for insight.

Thanks.

I think a font used in a logo and a font used for an entire book are two completely different things. Fonts used in logos are often converted to paths and there fore aren't fonts anymore. Most publishing is done with live fonts and therefore the fonts and files have to be transfered, etc. I've never had an issue with selling the rights to fonts in a logo. As long as you are not sending fonts with your logos there is really nothing they can do.

Most publishing is done with live fonts and therefore the fonts and files have to be transfered, etc.

But is it all so important that I own the font to begin with? I used a font from work (they own) and I outlined it. Same deal-don't worry? I see it costs $30 if I need to buy it, which is a better investment than getting fined.

Most publishing is done with live fonts and therefore the fonts and files have to be transfered, etc.

But is it all so important that I own the font to begin with? I used a font from work (they own) and I outlined it. Same deal-don't worry? I see it costs $30 if I need to buy it, which is a better investment than getting fined.

I think it's more a licensing issue than a "who owns the font" issue. Most fonts come with a license agreement that says you can use the font on a certain number of computers. Most of the time when you are purchasing a font you are purchasing the license agreement, not just the font.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived