Portland Rockies concept

ravenmaster

Considering the response I've received from my last two concepts, and the resulting rows from those debacles, I decided to step back and try something simpler and less complicated to attempt and find something that works.

The Portland Rockies were a Colorado Rockies farm team from 1994-2000 in Portland, obviously. Even though there aren't Rocky mountains in Oregon, the name stuck and the Rockies theme continued. The rose was added due to Portland's nickname as the 'Rose City'. I used the mountain motif to create the cap logo and stuck with the Colorado Rockies font for the PR on the jersey. I thought making something understated, without all those weird things I tried earlier would be a nice contrast.

PortlandRockiesconcept.png

The hat does not look very good. I think that the PR would be a much better hat logo than the mountain with the rose. If you want the rose to be on the hat, keep the rose between the PR and take out the mountains. I'm not sure if you did this intentionally or not, but the chest logo generally goes on the left side. Also, the jersey looks blank without numbers. Numbers need to be added opposite the chest logo. Final thing is the sleeves. If it is supposed to be a vest, I think that is great, but the way you made the sleeves, it looks like the entire sleeve panel is purple. I say to just make it a vest if that's the case.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Triple A farm teams don't usually take the name of their parent club, do they? I thought that the name of Portland's AAA team in PGE Park was always the Beavers. I guess not.

the rockies were a class A short season team, in the Northwest League, not a AAA team.

Triple A farm teams don't usually take the name of their parent club, do they? I thought that the name of Portland's AAA team in PGE Park was always the Beavers. I guess not.

the rockies were a class A short season team, in the Northwest League, not a AAA team.

Thanks. I did not know that. I thought the Beavers had been a continuous PCL team for years. I guess not.

Omaha Royals, Pawtucket Red Sox, Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankees, Richmond Braves, and the Iowa Cubs are all the AAA teams named after their parent club.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Please stop making your numbers so damn small. Also, try adding names and making less crazy caps and putting logos on the stirrups.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I guess I just see the numbers larger than you guys, because it hurt me to put a number that 'large' on the jersey. It must be a depth of perception thing...

And logos on the stirrups is one of the few 'classic' Rockies things. Check out their inaugural season stirrups and you'll see why.

1. Numbers are standard size. They should be larger, and if you feel odd about how they would look larger, then use the Stretch and Skew tool to make them narrower.

2. This looks too templated in general. I know you're probably going for vests, but these look like two color softball jerseys. If you want a vest, then get a vest template. If this is what you were going for, sorry, but it doesn't work.

3. Logos on stirrups = BAD.

4. White hats and dark brims = BAD.

5. I realize that you wanted to take an element from the logo and put it on the cap, but it looks too fragmented.

Back to the drawing board.

philly.png

Omaha Royals, Pawtucket Red Sox, Scranton-Wilkes Barre Yankees, Richmond Braves, and the Iowa Cubs are all the AAA teams named after their parent club.

Ah, you are correct. I can't believe I didn't think of those. With the exception of the O-Royals though, you are dealing with high profile parent clubs that could probably reap more sales off of minor league merchandise if it exhibits the scheme of their prestigous parent club. Most of those clubs also have long-standing affiliations with their parent clubs, Omaha is the only AAA team Kansas City has ever had if I recall correctly. The only exception to that is Scranton/Wilkes Barre, and I thought they were far cooler as the Red Barons.

Further, don't the parent clubs own most of those teams? Richmond I know the Braves own, and I'm sure the Red Sox own Pawtucket. I think the Yankees are part-owners of Scranton/Wilkes Barre and have the option to buy. I don't know about the O-Royals and the I-Cubs, but I assume the parent clubs have a stake in them.

Hopefully I worked out some kinks here by flipping the chest logo, adding numbers and removing the shoulder panels and giving it some striping instead. Also messed with the cap logo to look more streamlined and took out the mountains on the chest logo.

Better/worse?

PortlandRockiesconcept-III-1.png

Thanks. I did not know that. I thought the Beavers had been a continuous PCL team for years. I guess not.

nope, Beavers packed up in the mid 90's or late 90's? and moved to salt lake city. We got the new incarnation of the Beavers when the Albuquerque Dukes headed to the Rose City

I guess I just see the numbers larger than you guys, because it hurt me to put a number that 'large' on the jersey. It must be a depth of perception thing...

And logos on the stirrups is one of the few 'classic' Rockies things. Check out their inaugural season stirrups and you'll see why.

Aint' a depth perception thing, man. My left eye is 20/400 and my right eye is 20/15, so it's not depth perception. Look at a few of my baseball concepts for reference. The numbers I put on them are normal size.

Add a name and see if you can put a shoulder patch on these babies. Right now they look incomplete. Remove the logo from the stirrup and make the numbers bigger as I stated in my first sentence. This has potential, but there are some definite improvements. Hopefully with everyone's constructive criticism, you will be able to improve this.

-E.A.R.

These are an improvement, but the numbers are still too small on the back. Since you took the mountain out of the jersey logo, that could make a good sleeve patch. I still think that the PR logo would look good on a hat. The sleeves definately look better than the original concept. This is an upgrade, but there is still room for improvement.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Regarding the original Portland Rockies jersey, you can see it on this...Racoon? That was the mascot of the club.

RobRaccoon.gif

There also seems to be a design with black sleeves, as can kind of be seen in silhouette here:

ps_portland_2000.jpg

I have an updated design (call it round three) I'll post later tomorrow once I clean it up.

ok version 2 is ok.

However, Red on purple isn't a good mix right next to each other.

I like seeing the rose and rockies though.

and the font does not look like a sports font.

I know theres a link on the templates page for teams fonts so download some from there.

Oh, and color the hat please.

Good luck!

Like I said, here's version three, though I'm not sure why the edges are blurred as it's saved in .png format. I added a shoulder patch, two different hat options (and the PR does look great on the hat), plus some different stirrup ideas. C&C, round three!

PortlandRockiesconcept-IV-3.png

Like I said, here's version three, though I'm not sure why the edges are blurred as it's saved in .png format. I added a shoulder patch, two different hat options (and the PR does look great on the hat), plus some different stirrup ideas. C&C, round three!

PortlandRockiesconcept-IV-3.png

Alright, dude, the font I like to use for concepts in MSPaint is Team MT. Try it. Now.

Archived