Oakland Athletics Logo

rtrich11

The old comics fanboy in me thinks it would be a great Green Lantern tie-in cap. If the Green Lantern Corps had a baseball team, they would totally wear green caps with a yellow interlocking "OA".

The Corps would never have "OA" in yellow- the power rings wouldn't work while they wore the hats! :D

I love the logo - the interlocking OA is very well done.

I like the logo "B" with the text-arched above the Elephant. The best one IMO.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

what about making B look like a pennant, something that has baseball history written all over it.

Also, I like the O-A icon. I think i'd like it more if it looked more interlocking. Even if its not a full interlocking, but just a little notch out of one of the legs of the A to make it look like the O is coming from behind, and then through.

Lookin' sharp though!

Had a few minutes to work on a new hat logo...But nothing to show for it. The plain O looks ok, but would people wear it? Maybe. I'm showing you an A's hat, but it won't be a part of the final package-it's too expected.

For this secondary logo, I tried to encapsulate the head into a shape to give it more of a solid presence, but that wasn't working well. This is kind of antique-y for a mark, but it didn't bother me. I put it on an O, but wasn't thrilled-maybe I'll try again later.

Richards_As2.jpg

Had a few minutes to work on a new hat logo...But nothing to show for it. The plain O looks ok, but would people wear it? Maybe. I'm showing you an A's hat, but it won't be a part of the final package-it's too expected.

For this secondary logo, I tried to encapsulate the head into a shape to give it more of a solid presence, but that wasn't working well. This is kind of antique-y for a mark, but it didn't bother me. I put it on an O, but wasn't thrilled-maybe I'll try again later.

Richards_As2.jpg

I don't hate the OA hat, but the history of the A's is too rich...and nothing else in your package says "A's" so I think you need to find some way to incorporate that.

Cards.png

I really like the secondary with the elephant head. Nicely done.

On the primary, I like A except for one thing, and since it's a personal pet peeve I guess it may not have merit. I reeeeally don't like logos that have the team name first (or above in this case). Just don't like it.

Same thing with helmet logos that incorporate a city name (see below). Just looks minor league to me. They should just have a large version of the swirly thing, similar to the Frankfurt Galaxy.

DSC03792.JPGrid-nfle-fg.gif

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'm not familiar with the team's history - what is the elephant for?

The elephant takes its origina from the A's Philadelphia years. At that time, the Phillies manager called Connie Mack's Athletics a bunch of white elephants. Mack took the jab and turned it into a rallying cry for his club, adopting the elephant as the team's mascot.

Its endured ever since.

EDIT: I THINK it was the Phillie manager. It could have been a Philly sports writer or something, but it definitely was meant in a derogatory way against the Philadelphia American League team from the more established National League of the time.

Nope. It was NY Giants manager John McGraw, IIRC.

I think he mightve gotten cunfused with when a Philadelphia manager called the Pirates {Then called the "Alleghenies"} pirates for signing a player he forgot to re-sign.

Wikipedia knows all and sees all...

After New York Giants' manager John McGraw told reporters that Philadelphia manufacturer Benjamin Shibe, who owned the controlling interest in the new team, had a ?white elephant on his hands," Mack defiantly adopted the white elephant as the team mascot, though over the years the elephant has appeared in several different colors (currently forest green). The A?s are sometimes, though infrequently, referred to as the Elephants or White Elephants.

The elephant was retired as team mascot in 1963 by then-owner Charles O. Finley in favor of a Missouri mule. In 1988, the elephant was restored as the symbol of the Athletics and currently adorns the left sleeve of home and road uniforms. In 1997, the elephant came to life for the first time in the form of a mascot, Stomper, whose likeness was patterned somewhat after former A's slugger Mark McGwire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_A%27s...f_the_team_name

Since it seems likely that the team name will change with the move, it might be interesting to do up concepts of the suggested names:

"San Jose Athletics at Fremont"

and

"Silicon Valley Athletics at Fremont"

On the new logo iterations, I prefer A. The whole logo is just strong and more visually self-contained with "Oakland" on the bottom.

As to the cap logos, your A's logo is fantastic. That's a nice cap right there, even if dispensing with the current A would sever a tradition that goes back almost to the Civil War.

And I should restate that your OA logo is a beautiful cap logo. Great bit of design, with a result so simple and elegant you're probably not getting the credit you deserve for it. It's just that Pope Alexander VI was right in 1493 when he decreed that combining location and nickname initials on the same cap was an excommunicable sin. (This was later ratified into international law by the Treaty of Tordesillas, and in fact the Colorado Rockies are still fighting extradition to the International Criminal Court in the Hague for the CR thing.) Which is to say, I wouldn't in a million years want the A's to wear an OA cap, but your OA logo is nonetheless a fantastic bit of cap-logo design.

20082614447.png

I like the elephant logo a lot and the cap logo the best of all- I don't buy this "city and name together is wrong" crap, there is no rule that says it can't be done or it looks bad- I think it looks great here. No need to put strict rules, especially regarding percieved "tradition", when it comes to a good design. Nice job.

Richards_As2.jpg

I don't hate the OA hat, but the history of the A's is too rich...and nothing else in your package says "A's" so I think you need to find some way to incorporate that.

How about a cap with just the "A" by itself without the apostrophie-S? Just an "O" on the hat is too blah and the "OA" logo doesn't work for me. But since the team will probably try to draw from a larger area when it moves, maybe just the plain "A" would work.

Could be just me though (and most of the time, it is :D )

Archived