Cavaliers Jerseys

dannyf113

Ive noticed over the course of the season, the Cavaliers have dropped their red away jerseys in favor of their blue alternates while on the road. However, Cleveland has yet to change their warmup jerseys, or court colors. Has there been any official word as to the reason for the change?

As I understand it from the debacle over the Nets wearing red against the Raptors in Toronto, much to the chagrin of an arena full of red T-shirt-clad Raps fans, a team can wear either their normal road jerseys or their alternates in the playoffs, but once they wear one of them, they have to stick with that set for the rest of that series.

So we could still see the wine-coloured road jerseys in the Finals, but I doubt the Cavs would switch if the navy blues get them that far. That's probably more the reason for the change than anything ? superstition.

that must be a new rule, cus I seem to remember the Lakers occasionally breaking the whites out in the playoffs, and the Nets wearing their ABA-era homes against the Spurs in the finals one year.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

That's not a rule. The Jazz wore their navy uniforms vs. Houston in games 1, 2, & 5. Each game was a Utah loss. They broke the trend and won game 7 by wearing their alternate road uniforms. The Jazz wore them for the remainder of the playoffs.

utahhoustoncd08_0422.jpgutahhouston7cd16_0506.jpg

I'm not a fan of teams wearing alternate jerseys in the playoffs. I'm not sure why, I guess I just don't like the idea of a team winning a championship while wearing a uniform that may just be the flavor of the month but will forever be captured in championship history.

The Cavs are wearing the alt blues to over market them just like the rest of the NBA. They have been doing it all year whenever they have been on national TV. Now that the playoffs have rolled around they have been wearing them more often. With this going on all year I am wondering how much control the team actually has on choosing which jerseys they wear, like the home pitcher does in baseball. Does the team have much of a say at all?

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Heat come out and get destroyed in their regular black roadies last year in the Finals at Dallas. They then won the next three at home in the whites, then won game 6 and the title while wearing the red alternates back in Dallas. I see some inconsistencies if this is in fact a rule.

Well in the playoffs a team is only allowed to use 2 jerseys, so I'm guessing the Cavs players liked their blues better (for good reason)

I might be wrong, but I thought that this is what the NHL ruled regarding alt jerseys, but as this thread shows, it is not the case in the NBA.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the Heat come out and get destroyed in their regular black roadies last year in the Finals at Dallas. They then won the next three at home in the whites, then won game 6 and the title while wearing the red alternates back in Dallas. I see some inconsistencies if this is in fact a rule.

i'll correct you. nba playoff series are 2-2-1-1-1, so miami could not have had three home games in a row.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

i'll correct you. nba playoff series are 2-2-1-1-1, so miami could not have had three home games in a row.

And I'll correct you, all NBA series except the NBA Finals follow the 2-2-1-1-1 format. For the NBA Finals it follows a 2-3-2 format, which IMO makes no sense, but that's how it works.

As far as actual alternate use in the NBA, teams are only allowed to wear their alts for a certain number of games for the regular season, I think the number is 16 or close to it. I think there's a similar policy with the Hardwood Classics. When it comes to the playoffs, teams are free to wear their alts as many times as they wish, although I believe that they aren't allowed to wear their alts at home. The one exception of course being the Lakers with their white alternate.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

And I'll correct you, all NBA series except the NBA Finals follow the 2-2-1-1-1 format. For the NBA Finals it follows a 2-3-2 format, which IMO makes no sense, but that's how it works.

NBA Finals is West coast vs. East coast... 2-3-2 to save on travel

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

NBA Finals is West coast vs. East coast... 2-3-2 to save on travel

Well, I understand that aspect of it, I just don't understand why they can't make the other series 2-3-2 as well. I mean I"m probably missing something, but I just don't see any advantage to having 2-2-1-1-1 for the rest of the series.

Oh and tempest, if the me-correcting-your-correction came off as caustic, I apologize, it wasn't intended as such.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I agree I like the 2-3-2 format in the NBA Finals, and I was wondering myself why they dont do it fro the entire playoffs.

Its seems like every suppose it rule about alternates have been defeated in the NHL and NBA

In NHL, it was a suppose it rumor about u cant wear your alternate in the playoffs....Buffalo did, and correct me if im wrong, Vancover did also.

In the NBA, You can only wear 2 jersey in the playoffs. Well Utah, LA Lakers, and Phoenix wore all 3 jerseys.

Seems like the only alternate rule I have yet to see be defeated is no more black alternates in the NBA.

Archived