Another outdoor NHL game coming

OMMF

Why is everyone overlooking Buffalo? Ya know, that city on the lake... lake effect snow 10 feet high... cold from October through April... practically in Canada... team won the President's Trophy, best-selling merchandise in the league despite being saddled with a :censored: logo...

I would go, it would have to be in January or February (or most likely just February cause of the Bills playoff run upcoming :P) to not interfere with the Bills. A Leafs-Sabres matchup could draw 75k easy, but that means 1/2 are leaf fans. I would love a Sabres-Sens game at the Ralph. We would probably sell it out.

In the US it would have to be Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, NYC or Boston

Canada doesn't have that many large outdoor stadiums, only Calgary and Edmonton are over 35,000 capacity.

My Finalsits in order......

1. Buffalo, easy sell-out if against Leafs

2. NYC, Rangers-Isles should draw well

3. Detroit, Detroit could sell out if they played TOR, but don't host them next year

4. Calgary, smaller stadium and has no real US rival

5. Edmonton, already hosted one, and has no real US rival

6. Pittsburgh, PITT-PHIL could be a good game

7. Boston, dwindling fanbase, I don't think they could sell out

saBS.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canada doesn't have that many large outdoor stadiums, only Calgary and Edmonton are over 35,000 capacity.

Rogers Centre

Yeah, forgot about that, I always think of that as an indoor stadium. So add Toronto to the list.

saBS.png

Well couldn't they now play the game at BMO Field too.

Yeah, but I don't think it has the capacity the NHL would want for an outdoor game. If it was held in Toronto it would have to be at the Rogers Centre.

Why is everyone overlooking Buffalo? Ya know, that city on the lake... lake effect snow 10 feet high... cold from October through April... practically in Canada... team won the President's Trophy, best-selling merchandise in the league despite being saddled with a :censored: logo...

Snow is not good for an outdoor rink. Granted anywhere in the east you have to deal with snow but you are less likely in Boston, NY, or Philly. I don't think Buffalo will be apart of this unless they are the road team and playing a big market. Buffalo gets big local ratings but the city is so small that it barely moves the national ratings. I say they would be the road team because Ralph Wilson Stadium isn't that historic. Remember the article said this will be for NBC so you can rule Buffalo-Toronto out. A Canadian team might be involved (Ebersol said earlier that NBC would like Montreal on their schedule next year) but it will be against Detroit, the Rangers, or Pittsburgh. I doubt it will be in Canada because Toronto and Montreal both have domes as their big stadiums.

Snow can be good when you're building the base for a rink, it can speed things up if you know the proper way to water and flood it.

Any place would have to have sub-zero temperatures for several weeks before the game in order to have a viable ice surface. Some people are talking about an outdoor rink as if it's a sure thing. It isn't. An indoor rink you can control the atmospher, you can create the ideal conditions for a LEVEL ice surface.

The first one in Edmonton was a gamble IMO. Outside you're at the mercy of the elements. If it gets near zero, you can't use hte ice or it will be ruined. You need weeks of sub-zero weather before you can have a rink. One week is not enough time (we get people who come to our park ever year at first snowfall asking where the rink is)

If they plan it, they better cross their fingers and do their research on the climate of where they want to go. People have said, it would have to be a Northern Climate, unless they want to spend a fortune to create an outdoor pad for a single game

I doubt it will be in Canada because Toronto and Montreal both have domes as their big stadiums.

Toronto's. Dome. Has. A. Retractable. Roof.

It. Can. Be. Used. As. An. Outdoor. Stadium.

"right 'round, 'round 'round"

I know it's retractable but it still doesn't scream outdoors to me because it can be closed.

I doubt it will be in Canada because Toronto and Montreal both have domes as their big stadiums.

I know it's retractable but it still doesn't scream outdoors to me because it can be closed.

Your opinion does not equal fact...

IMGP2466_med.jpg

Looks outdoors to me.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Looks pretty empty, too.....

Isn't Olympic Stadium in Montreal a retractable roof, too?

Batting practice doesn't usually draw 50,000... and no, Montreal does not have a retractable roof.

It was supposed to, but they've been having roof problems ever since they opened the joint. It was also roof-less for a season. I knew I had seen baseball cards with home Expos jerseys being played in sunny Olympic stadium....

Batting practice doesn't usually draw 50,000... and no, Montreal does not have a retractable roof.

It was supposed to, but they've been having roof problems ever since they opened the joint. It was also roof-less for a season. I knew I had seen baseball cards with home Expos jerseys being played in sunny Olympic stadium....

Yes it was, but it isn't... those baseball cards you see from are from before the roof was added. The roof has been permanently sealed for 9 years.

The roof-less season was 1998... I went to a game in 1991 there where there was no roof, I don't know the story there, but the game was delayed for a few hours.

I'm probably one of the few to sit through a rain delay at both Olympic Stadium and SkyDome.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

IMGP2466_med.jpg

Looks outdoors to me.

No, it looks unroofed. I'm counting gates as a form of door--and I'm certain that the crowd passed through gates and/or doors to get where they are in the photo, thus making them indoors.

( :D Just picking apart words for some good-natured :censored: stirring.)

play on a pond in rural minnesota. keep it secret, so that no fans are there except family and friends, and record it. it'd be eerie. it'd also be a terrible idea. wasn't there some little mini-movie where hull, jagr, and lindros all went to play on a pond?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes it was, but it isn't... those baseball cards you see from are from before the roof was added. The roof has been permanently sealed for 9 years.

The roof-less season was 1998... I went to a game in 1991 there where there was no roof, I don't know the story there, but the game was delayed for a few hours.

I'm probably one of the few to sit through a rain delay at both Olympic Stadium and SkyDome.

The Roof in Montreal was stuck open in 1991, they were still trying to retract and it got stuck.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Your opinion does not equal fact...

IMGP2466_med.jpg

Looks outdoors to me.

OK, now find us a picture of the roof being open in the WINTER... :grin:

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived