Tigers/Indians in throwbacks tonight

projectjohn

Not sure what years exactly, the Tigers look like perhaps their 1984 jerseys. At any rate, both sides looking pretty sharp.

A quick look a Dressed to the Nines suggets that the Indians are wearing unis that could be any year 1973-1977, and Detroit could be 1972-1984. If they're shooting for the same year, then we're looking at mid-1970s.

Haven't posted in years, but this throwback has drawn me back to comment.

That Indians uniform is completely wrong. They never wore that. On the jersey they are wearing the cuff stripes are red-white-blue(top to bottom) and the collar is blue-white red(top to bottom). When the Indians had uniforms like this the striping was the exact opposite. The cuffs were blue-white-red and the collar was red-white-blue. If the striping were correct this uniform would be from 1975-1977. They only had that wordmark, striping pattern, and the hat with the blue crown/red bill for those three seasons.

I can't see the leg striping on the pants from that picture of the pitcher, but the waist striping is correct for the 75-77 era.

The Cardinals, however, did wear the photographed striping pattern in the 70's and 80's. Basically, these are Cardinal uniforms with an Indians wordmark.

I can't see the wordmark on the posted photos of Detroits throwbacks, but the striping is consistant with what they wore during 72-84. So it seems like they were going for 75-77 but the Indians screwed up and used the Cards design from that period and not their own.

The guys on the Tigers broadcast said they were both wearing 1977 jerseys. Cleveland was celebrating the 30th anniversary of... alright, now I'm stumped. I did notice both teams wore current batting helmets. It would've been nice to see them go all the way, but, I get why they can't.

They looked really nice. Most players wore high socks, which was cool. I had actually never seen that incarnation of the Detroit D (I'm a little too young), so, that was nice. I do know that I want one. Good TBTC night.

Sigh... at least Detroit won one game tonight.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Haven't posted in years, but this throwback has drawn me back to comment.

That Indians uniform is completely wrong. They never wore that. On the jersey they are wearing the cuff stripes are red-white-blue(top to bottom) and the collar is blue-white red(top to bottom). When the Indians had uniforms like this the striping was the exact opposite. The cuffs were blue-white-red and the collar was red-white-blue. If the striping were correct this uniform would be from 1975-1977. They only had that wordmark, striping pattern, and the hat with the blue crown/red bill for those three seasons.

I can't see the leg striping on the pants from that picture of the pitcher, but the waist striping is correct for the 75-77 era.

The Cardinals, however, did wear the photographed striping pattern in the 70's and 80's. Basically, these are Cardinal uniforms with an Indians wordmark.

I can't see the wordmark on the posted photos of Detroits throwbacks, but the striping is consistant with what they wore during 72-84. So it seems like they were going for 75-77 but the Indians screwed up and used the Cards design from that period and not their own.

whoa.... long time sabres7200! Nice to see ya posting again.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I've got an original Tigers road cap from that era. While the orange "D" surrounded by white is right, the actual shape of the letter isn't. I'll try to dig out the hat and get a pic if I can.

I can't get the digital camera working, however, this is the cap the Tigers wore (I believe from '72-82). The "D" is different from the one they wore against the Indians the other night.

TigersRoad.jpg

Throwing my two cents in on this subject, yes the Tigers orange stripe was that thick. As far as the Indians, *sigh* as was pointed out earlier the striping is wrong. Now throw this in there, that cap... is from '75-'77. What makes that significant? They never wore the white jerseys with that cap according to Marc Okkonen's book. The proper cap with that jersey would've had a blue bill, not the red one.

Proc and scimini are right. The "D" used for those Tiger hats is actually from a jacket worn in (correct me if I'm wrong) about 1945, and that jacket one of the big sellers for Mitchell and Ness.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

the one thing the tigers do need to bring back, is the Navy & oranged billed cap that had the Tiger coming through the D. that was sharp. like i have stated many times before. the MLB needs to have more mascots on caps instead of intials(boring).

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

the one thing the tigers do need to bring back, is the Navy & oranged billed cap that had the Tiger coming through the D. that was sharp.

Blech. I've hated that logo from the start. I don't want to see anything but a plain Old English D on a Tigers game cap for as long as I live. The white D at home and orange on the road is acceptable, but ideally I'd like to see them drop orange from their scheme altogether. Obviously the home unis are untouchable, but I'd love to see their road grays feature only navy and white. I'd even reluctantly go along with a navy road alt modeled after the home jersey. Bottom line, I just believe that no color should appear on a team's road gear that isn't on the homes.

Archived