Cleveland Indians Caps: Silver Outlines?

BallWonk

So today is the first day of a three-week road trip, and I pull in for gas and feed at the first service plaza on the Ohio Turnpike, just across the border from Pennsylvania. I go to the little shop to look at maps, and I see some Cleveland Indians caps for sale. Both the regular Chief Wahoo, blue cap with red brim, and the alternate I cap. The cap logos on each cap had metallic silver outlines. The caps seemed like legit merchandise; whatever the normal New Era adjustable caps is called.

The silver outline on Indians caps is new to me. Does Chief Wahoo really have a silver outline, and if so, when did Cleveland switch from white outlines? Mahalo to anyone who can fill me in.

(BTW, anyone here from Toledo? I'm in Glass City for a few days with nothing much to do, except a Mudhens game Wednesday. Where should a person eat in Toledo? Anything a visitor to Toledo needs to see?)

20082614447.png

So today is the first day of a three-week road trip, and I pull in for gas and feed at the first service plaza on the Ohio Turnpike, just across the border from Pennsylvania. I go to the little shop to look at maps, and I see some Cleveland Indians caps for sale. Both the regular Chief Wahoo, blue cap with red brim, and the alternate I cap. The cap logos on each cap had metallic silver outlines. The caps seemed like legit merchandise; whatever the normal New Era adjustable caps is called.

The silver outline on Indians caps is new to me. Does Chief Wahoo really have a silver outline, and if so, when did Cleveland switch from white outlines? Mahalo to anyone who can fill me in.

(BTW, anyone here from Toledo? I'm in Glass City for a few days with nothing much to do, except a Mudhens game Wednesday. Where should a person eat in Toledo? Anything a visitor to Toledo needs to see?)

Yea I live in Toledo. Tony Paco's is very good, I'd check that out. Have fun at the MudHens game. Is it your first? They're very fun, very nice stadium too, for AAA/minor league. Also if your a fan of lebanese food, check out the Beirut. Very good food.

IDK what kind of malls you have in VA, but The Westfield Franklin Park Mall is very nice, it was just renovated/rebuilt a year or so ago. Also if your into art, the Toledo Art Museum is always a choice.

The West Side and Downtown probably have the most attractions, unless you want to visit the zoo :P .

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

IMO, a huge downgrade all around. They had one of the best uniforms in the bigs, and overly complicated it with silver, uneven piping and extraneous outlines.

Don't forget the completely incomprehensible addition of drop shadows to the player names only, not the numbers. It still looks like a mistake they haven't bothered to fix.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yep, it was 2002.

When they changed from this:

al_2001_cleveland.gif

to this:

al_2002_cleveland.gif

IMO, a huge downgrade all around. They had one of the best uniforms in the bigs, and overly complicated it with silver, uneven piping and extraneous outlines.

I agree 100%. As a Sox fan, I always hated the Indians. However, I had to admit that they had one of the best jersey sets in all of baseball. Their current set is terrible.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

After making the Series, I thought the look would be safe for a while longer. But no, they had to throw away a great uniform set.

It is amazing how small changes can make a big difference. I don't mind the extraneous outlining on the current set. Everyone does it these days, and the Indians don't look as bad as most teams that throw extra outlines around, at least on the jersey scripts. But the non-matching sleeve/placket piping is terrible. And the home uniform looked much better with red accents. In fact the biggest flaw in the old road uniform, for me, was that it had blue piping instead of red.

But the worst for me is the silver outline around Chief Wahoo. I haven't seen it up close before, so I'm pretty late in noticing this, but the silver outline around Chief Wahoo looks terrible. Absolutely awful. It's ugly, thematically nonsensical, and it reduces the cap logo's contrast and visibility. So it hits the trifecta of bad ballcap design.

That said, thanks to those who recommended Tony Packo's. Didn't much like the dogs, but the rest of the menu is fantastic. Great stuffed cabbage, and the roast beef on bread covered with gravy next to mashed potatoes is almost as good as the Tony Dungy blue-plate at Stubb & Herb's in Minneapolis. Going to the Beirut for Lebanese tonight. Great parks here, too. I was kind of bummed at the prospect of being stuck in Toledo for a week, but so far this burg is just like my hometown in Iowa, but with more to do and nicer people. Yay Toledo!

20082614447.png

Ya, I lived in Toledo for 8 years back in the 90's, before moving back up here to Detroit. I thought the same thing when I moved there... like, how am I gonna spend my time here?? But, who knew? Toledo is surprisingly cool. If you get chance visit the Art Museum... I taught Design there for 12 years.

And if anybody need resturant recomendations for Detroit, I got those too!

Ya, I lived in Toledo for 8 years back in the 90's, before moving back up here to Detroit. I thought the same thing when I moved there... like, how am I gonna spend my time here?? But, who knew? Toledo is surprisingly cool. If you get chance visit the Art Museum... I taught Design there for 12 years.

Off to Greek Town :P

Opa!!

BallWonk: How'd you like the Beirut?

Glad you're liking T-Town so far!

Opa!!

Loved the Beirut. Best. Yoghurt sauce. Ever. And my hometown in Iowa has a decent Lebanese population, so I'm a tough grader when it comes to eastern Med cuisine.

Mudhens game tonight -- Hawaiian night. Good thing I brought the aloha shirt I usually wear to RFK. And if the Mudhens are wearing Hawaiian-print jerseys, I am buying one, cost be damned. Had to restrain myself from buying one of the many fine current and throwback Mudhens jerseys for sale at the team store the other day anyway. Better team store, in terms of selection, presentation, layout, and customer service, than any big-league team store I've ever visited. I'm already down $40 to the team on a cap and a t-shirt, but the team store is so nice it has me wanting to go buy more stuff for a team I don't actually care about and will likely never see again.

Oh, and the local cable sports network was kind enough to rebroadcast a Memorial Day weekend game between the Mudhens and the Columbus Clippers (I'll be in Columbus for a Clippers game at the end of the month). The point of the rebroadcast was to show the two Mudhens players who had a shot at the cycle in the game (one of them made the cycle, the other fell a single short). But it was a great chance to see the Clippers' new Nationals-copycat road jerseys.

20082614447.png

Opa!!

Loved the Beirut. Best. Yoghurt sauce. Ever. And my hometown in Iowa has a decent Lebanese population, so I'm a tough grader when it comes to eastern Med cuisine.

Mudhens game tonight -- Hawaiian night. Good thing I brought the aloha shirt I usually wear to RFK. And if the Mudhens are wearing Hawaiian-print jerseys, I am buying one, cost be damned. Had to restrain myself from buying one of the many fine current and throwback Mudhens jerseys for sale at the team store the other day anyway. Better team store, in terms of selection, presentation, layout, and customer service, than any big-league team store I've ever visited. I'm already down $40 to the team on a cap and a t-shirt, but the team store is so nice it has me wanting to go buy more stuff for a team I don't actually care about and will likely never see again.

Oh, and the local cable sports network was kind enough to rebroadcast a Memorial Day weekend game between the Mudhens and the Columbus Clippers (I'll be in Columbus for a Clippers game at the end of the month). The point of the rebroadcast was to show the two Mudhens players who had a shot at the cycle in the game (one of them made the cycle, the other fell a single short). But it was a great chance to see the Clippers' new Nationals-copycat road jerseys.

Awsome glad you liked it. Yea I've been going to The Beirut since I was born [i know I'm only 14, but that's still a long time :P ] and I love that place!

Yea I've been to the MudHens game twice, and I love going, their store is very nice [swamp shop?], I agree, they have very nice jerseys for sale too, and the MudHen store right inside the entrance has hawaiian jerseys, I believe, atleast last time I went they did.

And the local sports channel, that would probably be BCSN; usually they show high school games, they've shown my HS's games plenty of times [st. Francis Knights].

Aside from the fact that I always feel like I'm seeing something wrong when I disagree with you, Gothamite (and I definitely do, here) but... I'm not sure what you mean by "uneven" piping. Like... asymmetrical?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Opa!!

Awsome glad you liked it. Yea I've been going to The Beirut since I was born [i know I'm only 14, but that's still a long time :P ] and I love that place!

Yea I've been to the MudHens game twice, and I love going, their store is very nice [swamp shop?], I agree, they have very nice jerseys for sale too, and the MudHen store right inside the entrance has hawaiian jerseys, I believe, atleast last time I went they did.

And the local sports channel, that would probably be BCSN; usually they show high school games, they've shown my HS's games plenty of times [st. Francis Knights].

Paco's is :censored: and Beirut also good!

I used to work for the Mud Hens and BCSN! Loved the employee discount- got myself a lined on-field jacket, a Kirby Puckett era pullover jersey, and a Klinger-era button up jersey with piping along with a ton of other things. Best and biggest merch. store in the minors!

fade.gif

Aside from the fact that I always feel like I'm seeing something wrong when I disagree with you, Gothamite (and I definitely do, here) but... I'm not sure what you mean by "uneven" piping. Like... asymmetrical?

I don't know about brother G, but when I say the Indians have uneven piping it's on account of the piping around the neck and the placket being a single strand of blue, but the piping around the sleeves is three strands of blue-silver-blue. The mismatch between piping styles on the jersey just looks poor, or at any rate it looks less good than any non-clashing combination would (blue-silver-blue placket piping, plain blue sleeve piping, no piping on the placket, no piping on the sleeves, no piping at all anywhere). Of all the possible combinations available to the Indians, the team has chosen the least good.

20082614447.png

I don't know about brother G, but when I say the Indians have uneven piping it's on account of the piping around the neck and the placket being a single strand of blue, but the piping around the sleeves is three strands of blue-silver-blue. The mismatch between piping styles on the jersey just looks poor, or at any rate it looks less good than any non-clashing combination would (blue-silver-blue placket piping, plain blue sleeve piping, no piping on the placket, no piping on the sleeves, no piping at all anywhere). Of all the possible combinations available to the Indians, the team has chosen the least good.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I never aesthetically thought of "all the piping on the uniform" as a cohesive unit... which I think is what you're saying here.

Unless my memory is wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time today) isn't the pants piping the same as the sleeve piping? I'm not sure I agree that they picked the worst. I think blue-silver-blue everywhere would have looked worse, because I don't think anyone can successfully pull off a three stripe piping on the neck/placket. But I guess that's just a personal preference for thinner placket piping.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Archived