Spezza wears Eaves' #44 jersey

officeglenn

Really surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet ...

Early in the second period of last night's Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals, Senators forward Jason Spezza was called for a penalty, but his jersey had been torn (according to nhl.com and msnbc.com? the CBC commentators had a conflicting report about blood on his jersey) and went back to the dressing room to change while Mike Comrie served the penalty.

I guess they couldn't find his spare jersey, though ? the commentators mentioned that they do have two sets of jerseys done up for each team ? so Spezza came back out wearing Patrick Eaves' #44 jersey. Eaves was not playing Saturday night.

Spezza did not see any playing time in the #44 jersey. He came back out and took his spot in the penalty box, and when his time in there was up, he simply skated back to the bench. Very soon after, the equipment staff had a jersey ready ? not sure if it was the spare one or the first one repaired ? and Spezza quickly switched jerseys on the bench.

Sorry, no photos that I can find after looking through Yahoo and Getty Images.

According to the NHL's official shift chart, he went right to the bench after his penalty expired at 4:04 in the second period. His next shift began at 5:48 of the second period, beginning with the faceoff after Mike Fisher's tying goal.

He definitely played a shift with the wrong jersey. There's got to be some kind of rule against that!

Seriously, how could the equipment man NOT find Spezza's second jersey?

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

it was a torn jersey, Pahlsson had a hold of it in a scrum while the refs held him back from Spezza.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

He definitely played a shift with the wrong jersey. There's got to be some kind of rule against that!

Seriously, how could the equipment man NOT find Spezza's second jersey?

He was definately wearing it in the penalty box, but I see no evidence, not even video evidence, showing that he played a shift in it before he got his #19 jersey back.

There could be any number of reasons why they couldn't find the second #19 jersey. Amongst them, the general rule that MeiGray's second jersey set is never worn by teams until any potential clinching game.

--Roger "Today!" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

They clearly showed him skating on the ice doing a slow circle during a break. I was curious if they made any attempt to change the name on the back of the jersey incase he was going to have to finish the game in it and was looking for the name as they showed him circle around to show "EAVES" was still on the back.

Here's the word from Barry Meisel who authenticates all the jerseys for the NHL Gameworn program;

"While Spezza's jersey was being repaired, he emerged with Eaves' No. 44 (Eaves took the warmup and then did not play, and his jersey was immediately available) and served the rest of his penalty. When Spezza emerged from the box, he went to the bench and put back on his quickly repaired No. 19."

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Ironically, #44 was the number Spezza originally wore with the Senators. He later switched to #39, then his current #19.

I wonder if they knew this and purposely got him #44 or it was just a coincidence. My guess is that it was just a coincidence that he got his old number.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 - 19:13:52) ←

Ironically, #44 was the number Spezza originally wore with the Senators. He later switched to #39, then his current #19.

I wonder if they knew this and purposely got him #44 or it was just a coincidence. My guess is that it was just a coincidence that he got his old number.

Just a coincidence, Patrick Eaves took the pre-game skate and his jersey was probably the most readily available. Eaves will probably draw back into the lineup tomorrow night with McAmmond likely out.

For people that didn't see it, they can see it at the following link:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup2007/streams

You have to select Anaheim vs. Ottawa, Game 3.

I can't capture a screen from the video for some reason, but if anybody could that would be great. The "Spezza in Eaves sweater" incident occurs at about 1:56:07 from the start of the video

Too bad, I'm not Canadian

[ncognito' date=Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 - 21:54:14' post='763870]

Spezza indeed wore Eaves 44 jersey, and he did take a shift with it. Once his penalty expired he skated onto the ice, and I believe he was out for the next face-off as well before going o the bench.

Too bad he didn't score; anyone with Eaves in their hockey pool would have been pissed when they figured out what the hell was going on. =p

Just to put all this to rest, Spezza did wear the Eaves jersey in the penalty box and when his penalty was over he finished the shift on the ice. So he didn't take a shift, per se, but he was on the ice for a brief moment with the wrong jersey on. He was not on the ice for the ensuing faceoff nor did he take the ice again with the Eaves jersey on.

spezzaaseaves-1.png

Just to put all this to rest, Spezza did wear the Eaves jersey in the penalty box and when his penalty was over he finished the shift on the ice. So he didn't take a shift, per se, but he was on the ice for a brief moment with the wrong jersey on. He was not on the ice for the ensuing faceoff nor did he take the ice again with the Eaves jersey on.

spezzaaseaves-1.png

Nice work! That's more "ice time" than I was led to believe.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

This reminds me of an incident in the mid-90's in Calgary. Theo Fleury was cut in the face, and he bled so much on his Flames home jersey that the referee deemed that it was unwearable (probably a health issue due to the amount of blood). The Flames staff also did not have a backup Fleury jersey, and a slight panic ensued as to what Theo would do. A fan sitting behind the Flames bench tossed over his #14 Fleury replica jersey (it was even autographed!), which Theo put on very briefly, before being told he couldn't wear that, either.

Fleury finally re-emerged from the dressing room minutes later wearing a #76 jersey with no namebar on it.

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

Archived