Noted sociologist Gary Sheffield speaks...

Is that what I think it is in your avatar???

ROAR!!! Must kill... Smiling Bob!

Anyway, I think Sheffeld is on to something here. Now, I don't exactly agree with the 'control' theory, but he may have something when it comes to a situation between a Latin player and a African-American player.

I have no idea where he gets the idea that teams prefer hispanic or latino players over blacks because they are easier to control than blacks are and that is the reason for a low percentage of blacks in baseball. Unless he is trying to imply teams are knowingly discriminating against blacks in favor of hispanic or latin players. Now if he is trying to make that point well baseball does have a nice little history and tradition of discrimination against blacks. My personal feeling on the situation is that the interest in baseball in the black community has shifted from baseball to basketball and football. I just think the younger crowd simply doesnt have the interest in baseball as the older crowd does, and the youth of that demographic are more interested in basketball and football. However filling in that void is hispanic or latino 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. The reason there is a rising interest in baseball in the hispanic community is because its wildly popular in there native countries. I'm surprised there isn't more japanese players in baseball given popularity of it in Japan. so i'm not sure if I totally agree with his assesment as to why there are fewer blacks in baseball, i just think its more a shift in the demographics and interest in baseball.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

So lemme get this straight.. Sheff is saying there is less blacks basically because they need to act a certain way, and in baseball they dont want them to act that way, so they try to control them, and they dont wanna be controlled the same way whites/hispanics/asains are. OK.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

This should be dovetailed with Dusty Baker's sociology, stating that his Cubs teams did poorly in April and May because Latin players were used to the heat, and white players were better suited to the cold.

I smell a joint study forthcoming!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

why do we let athelets talk? i really wonder what he means by how they act. sounds like he's being a bit racist towards his own people to me. to me the popularity of the NFL and NBA has a ton to do with the fact that black youths dont play ball. also add in the fact that the players went on strike in the recent years, doesnt help that either.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [it's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them.

1) That's not English either, Gary. I'm not sure what that is.

2) If that's to be believed, he predicted more blacks - but now he's saying there's less - so what exactly did he "call"?

Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

1) By this logic, basically the blacks follow the coaches' rules and baseball's laws until their established and then they aren't going to abide anymore. How is that good for the team?

2) The guy that acts like a spoiled child into his later life is going to be respected more as a man? I'm not buying it.

These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

1) A player that doesn't respond to coaching/authority is a liability toa team, no matter how talented he is.

2) But because they can't be coached or break rules & laws, the owners don't want them. Go figure, Gary.

This should be dovetailed with Dusty Baker's sociology, stating that his Cubs teams did poorly in April and May because Latin players were used to the heat, and white players were better suited to the cold.

I smell a joint study forthcoming!

Give these noted sociologists a FAT RESEARCH GRANT, NOW!

I smell a joint

hmm

And suddenly this thread turned for the better! :flagcanada:

Oh, you wacky Canadians and your marginally-illegal reefer, I tell ya.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The reason Hispanic -- particularly Caribbean -- players are so good is that they play baseball over and over and over again since they are like 5 years old, or even younger. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a great sociologist like Gary Sheffield to figure that out.

Unless he is trying to imply teams are knowingly discriminating against blacks in favor of hispanic or latin players.

Maybe Bud Selig's been taking business advice from shady construction companies? :therock:

I think it definitely has a lot to do with lack of interest in the sport as compared to football and basketball. Of course, you could blame baseball for this in losing the battle for the imaginations of the black community (and everywhere else, for that matter.) The NCAA doesn't help either, since they offer such a small number of scholarships for baseball. Really, if you're banking on an athletic scholarship to get you through college, which sport are you going to choose, the one with 75 per team or the one with 12?

Archived