London 2012 Unveils Logo

DEAD!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been posted, but the proposed design for the Chicago 2016 Olymics has been disallowed because of a rule from the IOC that states "shall not contain the Olympic symbol, the Olympic motto, the Olympic flag, any other Olympic-related imagery [such as] flame, torch, medal, etc." Which is a real shame, because this would of been a GREAT rebound from London.

col.gif

Source.

PopHeading-1.gif

SPORT EDITORS' BLOG

We've had a huge reaction to the launch of the new logo - most of it negative

Interactive Olympics editor Claire Stocks

hmmm I wonder why that could be!! Maybe because it sucks and I will probably not watch them now (not that I would have anyway).

"Cat Eyes" - Josh

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

This makes the Vancouver logo look decent by comparison.

That brings to mind the comments made about the Vancouver 2010 logo....

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...p;p=entry

In what way? I know you like the Vancouver logo, but when I made my comparison I was speaking in terms of my opinion, not yours, or anyone else's.

The only thing that the Vancouver logo has over the London logo is that you can tell what the Vancouver logo is. The London logo looks like a series of pointy blotches.

Both logos fall short because they fail to use images that represent the whole of the host nation. When a city is chosen as an Olympic site it's not just a big deal for the city, it's a big deal for the country.

For the 2010 games, sure Vancouver is the host city, but in the larger scheme of things it's Canada hosting the world. Rather then use an emblem that represents one part of Canada (the Inuit), the maple leaf should have been used, as it transcends the many parts of the country to represent Canada as a whole. That's why it was chosen as our national emblem, and that's why it should be featured on the 2010 Vancouver logo.

As for 2012, sure, London may be hosting the games, but in the larger picture it's Britain that's hosting the world. Rather then use blotchy pieces of colour, a truly British symbol should have been incorporated.

In what way?

... just the outrage over the final design... ^_^ (to be honest... the maple leaf motif is a bit tiring for me....)

I agree! Every time something in Canada happens it is a maple that repsesents it. Canoes, beavers, moose, wide open spaces, rivers, oceans...It all represents Canada in some way shape or form. Just because the maple leaf is on our flag doesn't meen that it is the only symbol of Canada. It might be the easiest to represent but come there is alot of creative people out there...i'm sure there could be something else.

"Cat Eyes" - Josh

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

In what way?

... just the outrage over the final design... ^_^ (to be honest... the maple leaf motif is a bit tiring for me....)

I wouldn't say so. There's a reason the maple leaf is used as much as it is, it's our national symbol. Like American themed logos always come back to the stars and stripes or the bald eagle and British themed logos always come back to the Union Jack. Those marks identify those countries, and the maple leaf identifies Canada.

It's been worn on the sleeves, caps, and collars of the men who've died for this country since before we were a country. It's been on the sweaters, jumpers, shirts, etc... of our national teams before the current flag was adopted. The leaf was even featured prominently on the old red ensign, the current flag's strongest rival during the 1964 flag debate. It's on our coat of arms, our flag, it's used by our military and national teams alike to say "we are Canada" to the world.

That's why the Vancouver logo is a sub-par design. It omits the strongest image that identifies this nation to the rest of the world. Instead the leaf is pushed aside for an emblem of a section of the population. The Inuksuk doesn't represent Canada, it represents the Inuit, much like the bison represents Manitobians, the fleurs-de-lis represent the Québécois, the trillium for Ontarians, and the four trees for PEIslanders. The maple leaf as our national symbol reflects all of us, and should be featured on the logo of an event where we host the rest of the world.

The same thing is wrong with the London 2012 logo. Aside from the obvious piss-poor design job, it's just the year "2012."

This is an event in which Britain will host the world. The logo should reflect that by using a symbol that says "we are Great Britain" to the world. A Union Jack, lion, or Britannia figure should be be the central emblem of the 2012 logo, not the number "2012" itself. The 2012 logo has no heart, it conveys no sense of who and what Britain is to the rest of the world. It's just a number.

It's a poorly designed number at that.

This is crap. Send this :censored: back to the 80s where it belongs along side all the other outrageous neon designs. Ugh!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

as an Englishman I would like to officially apologize for that excuse for a high level logo!!

It's being slated all over the UK and there's even a debate going on right now on the radio about how bad it really is!!

Words just fail me

I likewsie feel the need to distance myself from the monstrosity. Someone's been paying too much attention to the NME and it's dogged attempt to define 'new rave' as a genuine scene...glow sticks et al...

To be honest the reason we've ended up with this is that as a nation we feel pretty awkward about patriotism, and that pc values have led to us ignoring "traditional" british symbols (ie. Union Flag)...the other issue was attempting to get away from focusing on London too much. there's been a lot of a attention on the commitees failure to properly involve the entire nation. A reporter was in Weymouth (where the sailing is happening - on the south coast) yesterday (on the fine BBC radio 5 live)and all the people he interviewed appreciated the fact it wasn't 'london centric' - it should be noted that none of them could tell it said 2012 until they were told...enough said!

The BBC have nicknamed it the 'Oh No' logo.

Blair says that the logo should "inspire people to make their lives better" or some drivel along them lines. <_<

FYI there are currently 25,857 signatures on the online petition to have it abolished.

And on the subject of National identity being reflected in the logo - one only has to look at Glasgow's bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games to see its not that difficult.

http://www.glasgow2014.com/

Archived