London 2012 Unveils Logo

DEAD!

As a Londoner I should be happy that the Games are returning to our great city. But as for the new logo, ...... I just wish someone else had got them! I liked the New York 'part Statue of Liberty/part victorious athlete' bid logo. To everyone who follows the Games, or to anyone who appreciates fine logos..... on behalf of the sane Londoners who abhor this abomination..... WE'RE SORRY!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I likewsie feel the need to distance myself from the monstrosity. Someone's been paying too much attention to the NME and it's dogged attempt to define 'new rave' as a genuine scene...glow sticks et al...

To be honest the reason we've ended up with this is that as a nation we feel pretty awkward about patriotism, and that pc values have led to us ignoring "traditional" british symbols (ie. Union Flag)...the other issue was attempting to get away from focusing on London too much. there's been a lot of a attention on the commitees failure to properly involve the entire nation. A reporter was in Weymouth (where the sailing is happening - on the south coast) yesterday (on the fine BBC radio 5 live)and all the people he interviewed appreciated the fact it wasn't 'london centric' - it should be noted that none of them could tell it said 2012 until they were told...enough said!

That's funny because a lot the symbols that I'm sure the British see as London-centric (the Westminster clock tower, Tower Bridge, etc.) are viewed across the pond (and probably the rest of the world at-large) as representative of Britain general. I'm sure that most Americans wouldn't have felt slighted if NYC had won the bid and put the Statue of Liberty in its logo. But I'm sure there's something about the importance of all-inclusiveness that as a US resident I probably wouldn't understand.

You know what really boggles my mind? The news outlets are reporting that this logo took one year to design. Thats right, a whole year. I can't imagine any logo taking a year to design, let alone this piece of garbage. I know that they are not going to change it, but if they just looked at the thousands of signatures on that petition, they would realize that would be the best move. Who is gonna buy merchandise with the logo on it if they cant stand the logo. I'm a "young person" (as they call it), and this logo does not appeal to me at all. If you didnt know that that was an olympic logo, you probably wouldnt be able to figure it out (granted, you would have to remove the olympic rings). Bottom line, its pathetic. I was excited waiting for the logo, what a dissapointment.

I think if the backlash doesn't "just blow over," they'll at least make an alteration the way they changed "Whatizit" to "Izzy" (still don't understand all the hate on Izzy, BTW... it not like he sucked worse than any other olympic mascot).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6729611.stm

MPs call for Olympic logo rethink

MPs have signed a series of Commons motions calling for a rethink of the 2012 London Olympics logo.

In one, the Conservative MP Philip Davies described the design as "childish and ridiculous" and "a pathetic attempt to appear trendy".

Labour MP Stephen Pound said the emblem should be replaced after complaints it had led to epileptic seizures.

But an online petition against the logo has closed after its creator said he realised it was "here to stay".

In two days 48,615 people added their names to the call for the controversial logo to be scrapped.

Petition creator Jonathan Ellis said: "I have decided to close the petition as it becomes clear that the logo is here to stay - there is little point in damaging the reputation of our Olympic Games, that was never the intention.

"The protest has been effectively made."

Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said of the new design: "This is not just a marketing logo, but a symbol that will become familiar, instantly recognisable and associated with our Games in so many ways during the next five years."

On Wednesday, a London 2012 spokesman said ditching the design was "not an option", whatever the strength of public feeling.

Epilepsy Action said at least 22 people experienced seizures after watching an animated film promoting the 2012 Olympics shown at the logo's launch on Monday.

It added that one person vomited after seeing the flashing multi-coloured footage and another five complained of migraines.

The footage was removed from the official London 2012 website after complaints.

Mr Pound said the government should intervene, before "more seizures are triggered and the reputation of the London Olympics is further sullied".

Liberal Democrat MP Bob Russell, who also signed the motion, said the £400,000 spent on the logo's design had been a "spectacular waste of money".

Mayor of London Ken Livingstone said the company that produced the film which triggered the seizures should not be paid "a penny" for its "catastrophic mistake".

But Michael Wolff, who co-founded designers Wolff Olins, which created the logo, although he is no longer with the company, said it had not been "done justice" and blamed Olympic organisers for not publicising it properly.

I'm with the crowd saying that this logo isn't intended to be the actual logo and that it's simply a marketing scheme to get people paying attention to the 2012 London Games. I'd say it's worked perfectly.

Well if thats the case they better reveal the true logo sharpish before any more damage is done to the 2012 games reputation.

Worst thing I've ever freaking seen. I like that 2012don logo but it did take me a while to figure out it did say London (duh). lol

But now I have to go lay down because all the scrolling through pages with that logo on it have made me nausea. Good day.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

_43006855_james_wren_416.jpg

i like this one somebody from the site made

but who knows mabye the whole 90s thing will be in by 2012

Clever, but the IOC would never allow futzing with the sacred rings like that. The only sports group stuffier than them is the NFL.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I like that 2012don logo but it did take me a while to figure out it did say London (duh). lol

...and THAT is the reason why it will never be the official Olympic logo but merely just an early comp.

I found the "London" in the 2012don logo faster than I found the "2012" in the official logo.

I like that 2012don logo but it did take me a while to figure out it did say London (duh). lol

...and THAT is the reason why it will never be the official Olympic logo but merely just an early comp.

I found the "London" in the 2012don logo faster than I found the "2012" in the official logo.

Again....ANOTHER reason why it will never become the official logo. You shouldn't have to FIND one thing over another. For a logo of this importance the two primary elements, in this case 'London' and '2012' should be easily read by ALL viewers. All other elements are secondary in this case. That is why the current logo is so horrible.

Epilepsy Action said at least 22 people experienced seizures after watching an animated film promoting the 2012 Olympics shown at the logo's launch on Monday.

It added that one person vomited after seeing the flashing multi-coloured footage and another five complained of migraines.

People are always posting on these boards about how an ugly logo like the Buffaslug makes them want to vomit, but this is the first time I've ever heard about it actually taking place!

I saw that footage (at least some of it) on the news the other night and while I didn't vomit or have a seizure, I did feel like I was watching Nickelodeon 20 years ago.

I saw that footage (at least some of it) on the news the other night and while I didn't vomit or have a seizure, I did feel like I was watching Nickelodeon 20 years ago.

I'd not thought of it like that, but you're right - it's definatly kids tv.

I've seem some say that its not the "full" logo and it will morph in to something else - surely they should just cut to the chase and release the 'real' one if thats the case, to prevent any further damage being done to the London 2012 reputation.

People are always posting on these boards about how an ugly logo like the Buffaslug makes them want to vomit, but this is the first time I've ever heard about it actually taking place!

Jon Stewart mentioned this on the Daily Show last night.

As a Londoner I should be happy that the Games are returning to our great city. But as for the new logo, ...... I just wish someone else had got them! I liked the New York 'part Statue of Liberty/part victorious athlete' bid logo. To everyone who follows the Games, or to anyone who appreciates fine logos..... on behalf of the sane Londoners who abhor this abomination..... WE'RE SORRY!

A F B HAS STRUCK AGAIN

A F B HAS STRUCK AGAIN

Is this an admission of guilt?

A F B HAS STRUCK AGAIN

Is this an admission of guilt?

No, i'm just accusing Funster. that all

Archived