Copa America 2007 - Not on American ESPN 2?!?!

rmackman

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've figured out ESPN's order of priority when it comes to sports:

American Football

Baseball

Basketball

Golf

Tennis

NASCAR

Poker

Fishing

World's Strongest Man

Talk Shows

Lacrosse

Spelling Bee

Billiards

National Scrabble Championships

Hockey

Soccer

If your sport isn't listed at this point, you won't be covered by ESPN. Sorry if you're a fan of Australian Rules Football, Rugby, Cricket or Curling (which is barely covered even during the Winter Olympics)

My adjustment to this list would be towards the top...

American football

Red Sox/Yankees

Basketball

The Rest of the MLB

my adjustments:

American football

Red Sox/Yankees

Basketball

The Rest of the MLB {except small-market/not-70-games-above-.500/not-full-of-overrated-overpaid-players teams}

Golf

Tennis

NASCAR

Poker

Fishing

Talk Shows

World's Strongest Man

Spelling Bee

Lacrosse

Billiards

Hockey {during finals}

Soccer {during world cup when USA is still in it}

oBIgzrL.png

Wow. I was lucky enough to watch that match in person, and what a day for my first ever live soccer game. I wanted the U.S. to win, but more than anything I wanted to hear Mexico score. Thankfully I got both wishes. The whole place was clad in the tricolor and the crowd went wild when Guardado scored, throwing cups full of beer (that's $4.00, folks), peanuts, streamers, blowing horns. Watching a stadium shake on TV is exciting; feeling it is unreal.

I didn't think the U.S. could come from behind, and it certainly was a nail-biter to the end. Mexico had so many chances (it seems innumerable corner kicks), but everytime, the U.S. found a way to repulse the attack, by luck or skill. The U.S. really regained their composure after that long stoppage for the double-injury. It seemed a much-needed break. It was a great match to watch, and I was glad for the chance to be their in person. Snatched some confetti out of the air as a souvenir.

I think I've figured out ESPN's order of priority when it comes to sports:

American Football

Baseball

Basketball

Golf

Tennis

NASCAR

Poker

Fishing

World's Strongest Man

Talk Shows

Lacrosse

Spelling Bee

Billiards

Hockey

Soccer

If your sport isn't listed at this point, you won't be covered by ESPN. Sorry if you're a fan of Australian Rules Football, Rugby, Cricket or Curling (which is barely covered even during the Winter Olympics)

My adjustment to this list would be towards the top...

American football

Red Sox/Yankees

Basketball

The Rest of the MLB

my adjustments:

American football

Red Sox/Yankees

Basketball

The Rest of the MLB {except small-market/not-70-games-above-.500/not-full-of-overrated-overpaid-players teams}

Golf

Tennis

NASCAR

Poker

Fishing

Talk Shows

World's Strongest Man

Spelling Bee

Lacrosse

Billiards

Hockey {during finals}

Soccer {during world cup when USA is still in it}

You both forgot Arena Football (unless you're lumping that in with American football). I'd put it somewhere between poker and fishing on that list. And since ESPN2 is now carrying MLS and not the NHL, I'd also put soccer somewhere ahead of hockey now.

Anyway, I caught the game today on FSC. It was a better match than most of the World Cup games last year. Fortunately it ended just as the NASCAR race was about to begin, so I didn't even miss the start of that.

Guardado was lucky to score that goal for Mexico (he made the same, common mistake Beasley made, putting too much power on a point-blank shot), but the setup was brilliant. On the other hand, the final score should have been 4-1 or 5-1 with all the golden opportunities the Americans missed (there was at least one other point-blank misfire in the second half besides Beasley's). Luckily a 2-1 win is just as good in a championship final. USA! USA!

CCSLC signature.png

GOOOLAAAAAAZO! Feilhaber is a god!

It took a while to pick my jaw up off the ground after that goal, never mind re-starting my heart at the end of the game. A fitting game for the regional championship.

As for Gold Cup vs Copa America, the Gold Cup is, by far, the more important of the two. The US is part of CONCACAF, for better or worse, and the Gold Cup is the regional championship. The winner gains a berth to the 2009 Confederations Cup in South Africa.

Copa America, on the other hand, is CONMEBOL's championship. Even if the US were to take a strong team and pull of an extreme miracle, there is no real prize for the US winning the tournament besides prestige.

I'm impressed with Bob Bradley so far in his tenure as the national team manager. He has brought in a lot of youth, getting a lot of new players experience on the international level. His selections for these two tournaments have reflected this philosophy.

The side for Copa America may be young and inexperienced on the international stage, so this will definitely be a birth by fire. In the long run, that's a good thing. Bradley's focus is obviously further down the road--the 2010 World Cup--and the more experience players get in pressure situations now, the better prepared they will be then.

It doesn't hurt that while experimenting and getting young players experience, they're also winning games--and the Gold Cup.

Dos a uno!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Speaking of the Copa America, we are almost at halftime of the inaugural game of the 2007 tournament. Peru 1 - 0 Uruguay. Both teams looking pretty sharp in terms of their kits; Peru definitely (and expectedly) superior in terms of the play on the pitch.

Anyone here watching the game know why Peru's second goal was disallowed?

Speaking of the Copa America, we are almost at halftime of the inaugural game of the 2007 tournament. Peru 1 - 0 Uruguay. Both teams looking pretty sharp in terms of their kits; Peru definitely (and expectedly) superior in terms of the play on the pitch.

Anyone here watching the game know why Peru's second goal was disallowed?

And the USA advances to tied for #13 in the World (in the Elo Ratings)

LvZYtbZ.png

NEW YORK (AP) - The CONCACAF Gold Cup final attracted 41 percent more television households in the United States than the Stanley Cup finals clincher - and that was just for the soccer game's Spanish-language telecast.

The United States' 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Mexico on Sunday received a 2.5 fast national rating on Univision, the network said Tuesday.

That translates to 2.83 million households, nearly double the 1.48 million homes that watched the 2005 Gold Cup final between the United States and Panama.

This year's English-language telecast was on the Fox Soccer Channel, which is available in about 30 million homes and is not rated.

Anaheim's series-ending 6-2 victory over Ottawa in the Stanley Cup on June 6 received a 1.8 rating on NBC, which comes to 2,005,000 households.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and a ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived