Rays celebrate Turn Back the Clock Night

So_Fla

I'd love to see the D-Backs dress up as the Phoenix Firebirds, the last minor league team before the D-Backs came.

They'd really be dressing as their current Triple-A team, the Tucson Sidewinders. The Giants gave the Diamondbacks the Phoenix Firebirds in 1997, and Arizona moved them to Tucson.

Precisely. Doesn't the Tampa/Yankees relationship go back a ways?

No. The Yankees have been training in Tampa for 12 years, prior to that there was no connection at all between the two entities. The Yankees trained in St. Petersburg for many years before they moved to Ft. Lauderdale, but the only team Tampa has a long time connection with is Cincinnati.

Is the irony of a town with ties to the Yankees organization celebrating the 1955 Dodgers not lost here?

I was at the game on Saturday night and I saw maybe five people total that looked like they could have been grown Dodger fans when the Yankees trained in St. Petersburg. And this is in an area that outsiders pan as "God's Waiting Room". I don't think the matter is particularly relevant at all. The Rays hold a throwback night every season to a particular decade, around this exact same time against an interleague opponent. Last year it was the Braves. This season they happened to host the Dodgers and saw an opportunity to tie it in with Zimmer and their throwback promotion. I don't see the problem. It's just a gimmick, and it worked because the team drew the second largest crowd of the season.

I believe the Winnipeg Goldeyes are averaging over 7,000 for indie ball, roughly the talent equivalent of the Devil Rays. I smell a beautiful relationship blooming.

The problem is not that I don't recognize the sarcasm, the problem is that this joke isn't funny. It does nothing to distinguish itself from the 10,000 other jokes about [insert losing franchise with poor crowds here].

• 2 weeks later...
I believe the Winnipeg Goldeyes are averaging over 7,000 for indie ball, roughly the talent equivalent of the Devil Rays. I smell a beautiful relationship blooming.

The problem is not that I don't recognize the sarcasm, the problem is that this joke isn't funny. It does nothing to distinguish itself from the 10,000 other jokes about [insert losing franchise with poor crowds here].

It was funny. You're blinded by bitterness of a terrible and sorry franchise and its inhibiting your appreciation of wit. Its ok, you need to blind yourself to many things as a Devil Rays fan. It should be a better market, but on the other hand, Miami to the south has kind of proven even winning squads don't necessarily equal a sustainable market.

I think within 15 years MLB will have conceded that baseball in Florida is best suited for March. However, the size of Miami's market will probably mean that out of pure marketing, they will help the Marlins survive and sloppily cut the Rays out like a benign tumor.

I'd love to see the D-Backs dress up as the Phoenix Firebirds, the last minor league team before the D-Backs came.

They'd really be dressing as their current Triple-A team, the Tucson Sidewinders. The Giants gave the Diamondbacks the Phoenix Firebirds in 1997, and Arizona moved them to Tucson.

That's odd. I thought the Sidewinders where the old Toro's and the Firebirds moved to Fresno to become the Grizzlies

BTW I have an old Firebirds road jersey with the autographs of all their managers in my closet! The person who got the biggest kick was Jim Lefebre. Signed it for me when he was managing the Brewers against the Tigers at old Tiger Stadium. He saw the jersey and ran up smiling. I think he missed that team, and someone who remembered.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

It was funny. You're blinded by bitterness of a terrible and sorry franchise and its inhibiting your appreciation of wit. Its ok, you need to blind yourself to many things as a Devil Rays fan. It should be a better market, but on the other hand, Miami to the south has kind of proven even winning squads don't necessarily equal a sustainable market.

I think within 15 years MLB will have conceded that baseball in Florida is best suited for March. However, the size of Miami's market will probably mean that out of pure marketing, they will help the Marlins survive and sloppily cut the Rays out like a benign tumor.

Are you really Gothamite posting under another screen name?

Come on...fess up!

Archived