OHL Changes for 2007-8

DEAD!

Today, there was couple of moves that were approved. The Mississauga IceDogs are moving the St. Cathrine's. They will be known as the Niagara IceDogs. Their website is coming soon. St. Michael's are taking the IceDogs' spot in Mississauga, now called the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/art...605_183701_5096

The Majors have modified their logo: http://www.stmichaelsmajors.com/hm/

Old logo: http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=1651

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very nice to see. I really need to go on a Niagara Frontier hockey excursion - St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Thorold, Port Colborne, Fort Erie, and my hometown Wheatfield Blades.

I was rooting for North Bay to make their return. Winning Hockeyville means that the Memorial Gardens will get a HUGE make-over, if this came last year mayhaps they might have gotten the Icedogs.

The Majors upgrades are much like the Generals did last year. It's the same design, but 'modernised'. It'll be interesting to see what changes come with the uniforms.

I was rooting for North Bay to make their return. Winning Hockeyville means that the Memorial Gardens will get a HUGE make-over, if this came last year mayhaps they might have gotten the Icedogs.

The Majors upgrades are much like the Generals did last year. It's the same design, but 'modernised'. It'll be interesting to see what changes come with the uniforms.

I'll take a guess and say that other than the shoulder logo, the uniforms won't change. The big 'M' of the front of the jersey can now stand for Mississauga ^_^

why didn't the majors just move to st. catherines ?

Cuz the St. Mikes name is A LOT more valuable than the Ice Dogs. The Mikes have history in junior hockey and especially in building the Leafs teams of the 40's, 50's and 60's. It was where the players who were signed to the C forms were brought to play as they continued school before they hopefully graduated to the Toronto Marlies and/or the Toronto Maple Leafs. While this is not the same franchise as the original, the name and what it represents is what makes this team more valuable to keep in the area than move and rename and lose the identity yet again. He didn't want to take this team from Toronto, he wanted to make it so the 400 fans could still see "their" team 30 mins down the Gardiner. Its all about the brand my friend and this brand is valuable. I can see him moving it back to downtown Toronto if he can find a place for them to play and hopefully find enough fans who would go out and fill the arena to watch them...

Here, Wikipedia has more information on the history of the Mikes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_St._Michael%27s_Majors

The St. Michael's College Hockey Team was first established in 1906 when the team joined the junior division of the Ontario Hockey Association. The team was not known as the St. Michael's Majors until 1934, and also had the informal nickname of the "Irish". The school team played for 55 years until 1961 before suspending operations.

St. Michael's revived the Majors (Junior A Tier I) hockey team for the 1997-98 season in the Ontario Hockey League. It total, over one hundred St. Michael's Majors alumni have gone on to play in the National Hockey League, including 13 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Such players as Gerry Cheevers, Turk Broda, Dick Duff, Tim Horton, Red Kelly, Dave Keon, Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahovlich, Joe Primeau and Mike Walton all came up through the Mikes. More recently, Colorado Avalance (unofficial starting goalie) Peter Budaj, rising Red Wing Matt Ellis, Anaheim Ducks defenceman Shane O'Brien and destined Marc-Andre Fleury backup Andy Chiodo have all graduated from the team.

The only skid mark is that Mike Danton also played for them...

Cuz the St. Mikes name is A LOT more valuable than the Ice Dogs. The Mikes have history in junior hockey and especially in building the Leafs teams of the 40's, 50's and 60's. It was where the players who were signed to the C forms were brought to play as they continued school before they hopefully graduated to the Toronto Marlies and/or the Toronto Maple Leafs. While this is not the same franchise as the original, the name and what it represents is what makes this team more valuable to keep in the area than move and rename and lose the identity yet again. He didn't want to take this team from Toronto, he wanted to make it so the 400 fans could still see "their" team 30 mins down the Gardiner. Its all about the brand my friend and this brand is valuable. I can see him moving it back to downtown Toronto if he can find a place for them to play and hopefully find enough fans who would go out and fill the arena to watch them...

Here, Wikipedia has more information on the history of the Mikes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_St._Michael%27s_Majors

The St. Michael's College Hockey Team was first established in 1906 when the team joined the junior division of the Ontario Hockey Association. The team was not known as the St. Michael's Majors until 1934, and also had the informal nickname of the "Irish". The school team played for 55 years until 1961 before suspending operations.

St. Michael's revived the Majors (Junior A Tier I) hockey team for the 1997-98 season in the Ontario Hockey League. It total, over one hundred St. Michael's Majors alumni have gone on to play in the National Hockey League, including 13 members of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Such players as Gerry Cheevers, Turk Broda, Dick Duff, Tim Horton, Red Kelly, Dave Keon, Ted Lindsay, Frank Mahovlich, Joe Primeau and Mike Walton all came up through the Mikes. More recently, Colorado Avalance (unofficial starting goalie) Peter Budaj, rising Red Wing Matt Ellis, Anaheim Ducks defenceman Shane O'Brien and destined Marc-Andre Fleury backup Andy Chiodo have all graduated from the team.

:censored: the brand. The IceDogs were MISSISSAUGA'S team not Toronto's. The Majors should have stayed in Toronto and found a place there or maybe look to Vaughan or Markham. I would have liked to see a suburban team on the north side of Toronto. I resent that a team can't find their own ****ing place and decided to buy and other team kick them out and they decide to move in.

I will not support the team, especially a team that is linked to some school I have no association with. I will now have to either still support the IceDogs or perhaps support Brampton, which I am reluctant to do. :cursing:

^ That's your basic reason Wingsfan. THe Majors owner needed a new arena, in the end, it was easier to buy one of the other teams, kick them out of their arena and sell the team to another owner in another city.

:censored: the brand. The IceDogs were MISSISSAUGA'S team not Toronto's. The Majors should have stayed in Toronto and found a place there or maybe look to Vaughan or Markham. I would have liked to see a suburban team on the north side of Toronto. I resent that a team can't find their own ****ing place and decided to buy and other team kick them out and they decide to move in.

I will not support the team, especially a team that is linked to some school I have no association with. I will now have to either still support the IceDogs or perhaps support Brampton, which I am reluctant to do. :cursing:

Varsity Arena - Dump

Ricoh Colusium- Already home to a team struggling to attract fans

Maple Leafs Gardens - home to a future grocery store

York University Campus - too much of a pain to get to

The easiest solution was to move the team to an existing arena. I'm sure Melnyk would have had an easier time finding a home for his St. Mikes had he not gone out and bought the Leafs biggest NHL rival. When he took control of the Sens, he gave away his chance to ever convince MLSE to give him MLG which would have been the perfect venue for the St. Mikes to play out of...

The arena here in St. Catharines is a DUMP. With no plans for a new arena in town, I'm still shocked with this move. They recently built a 4 pad arena here and only put 1500 seats in the main arena. They really dropped the ball by not building a nice 5-6k arena on that site.

I hope this works out...but look down the road in Hamilton to see how support for teams in this area is not what it should be.

Ricoh would have been perfect, but as it is MLSE-controlled, there was no way they were going to let the Sens' owner in there. Any deal they would have offered would have been financially impossible for Melnyk to accept...

^ I'm not sure that the Ricoh would have been the best place for an OHL team to play in...I don't think that Toronto would have filled that arena to watch Major Junior hockey with the Leafs and Marlies in the city

^ I'm not sure that the Ricoh would have been the best place for an OHL team to play in...I don't think that Toronto would have filled that arena to watch Major Junior hockey with the Leafs and Marlies in the city

Probably not. I was just looking at it from a keep-a-team-in-Toronto point of view. For many varied reasons, Toronto is a spectator-Leafs town as opposed to a spectator-hockey town. Folks would far prefer staying home to watch the Leafs on TV rather than venture out to see the OHL.

Varsity Arena - Dump

Ricoh Colusium- Already home to a team struggling to attract fans

Maple Leafs Gardens - home to a future grocery store

York University Campus - too much of a pain to get to

The easiest solution was to move the team to an existing arena. I'm sure Melnyk would have had an easier time finding a home for his St. Mikes had he not gone out and bought the Leafs biggest NHL rival. When he took control of the Sens, he gave away his chance to ever convince MLSE to give him MLG which would have been the perfect venue for the St. Mikes to play out of...

The reason MLSE doesn't make a deal with Melnyk isn't because he owns the Senators. It's because he owns a sports team that isn't owned by MLSE. Next time you're at ACC, and it's not a game day, I dare you to find a Toronto Rock ad. Also, MLSE wants a monopoly on hockey in Toronto cause this city is crazy about their Leafs and they're hoping it rubs off on the Marlies.

The Niagara Ice Dogs just opened their website featuring their new logo. Personally, I think it's a step back from the one they had in Mississauga, but I suppose if they're going for the family entertainment crowd, the kids will love it. As for the Majors new logo, they also updated the M logo, which now has a more distinctive M within an M, most likely symbolizing the Mississauga Majors name, instead of the old more thinly outlined M.

http://www.niagaraicedogs.net/

Archived