Islanders to buy out Yashin

spyboy1

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pressbox/archive.asp?id=1654

ISLANDERS TO BUYOUT ALEXEI YASHIN

The New York Islanders will buyout the remaining four seasons of Alexei Yashin's contract. This ends the Islanders six year relationship with Yashin, who in 346 games with the Islanders scored 119 goals and recorded 171 assists for 290 points.

"This decision was one of the hardest I have ever had to make" said Islanders owner Charles Wang. "The organization holds Alexei in the highest regard ? as a player, as a teammate and as a person. He was part of the revival of the franchise at a time when we had not qualified for the playoffs for eight seasons. All of us at the Islanders wish Alexei nothing but the best as he continues his career."

It's rather unbelievable that the Islanders could actually make the right decision and get out from under one of the worst contracts in the history of sports, and that was before the salary cap was factored in.

One would guess that this will allow the Islander to keep Ryan Smyth now. Wasn't there a quote of him saying there was no way he'd return if Yashin were still there? Perhaps they could also afford Jason Blake now as well.

Could this be the light at the end of the tunnel for Islanders fans?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Ugh, Jason Blake is so damn overrated!! Last season was a fluke and I dont see a 34 year old getting better or younger as the years pass by. If the Isles resign him to a big/long contract, they will regret it like they regreted the Yashin deal and how they will one day regret the DiPietro deal...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the buy-out cost still count towards the salary cap?

Yes it does Chris. I asked that earlier then found out myself. I am not sure what the formula is, but $2.2 million will be "charged" to the Isles salary for the rest of the contract. Found that info in THIS article.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the buy-out cost still count towards the salary cap?

New York signed him to a 10-year contract worth $87.5 million, and the four years left are worth $26.45 million. The Islanders can buy Yashin out by paying two-thirds of the remaining amount ($17.63 million) over the next eight years for a salary-cap hit of about $2.2 million per season.

Still feeling the effects of this for another 8 years? You really have to be a smart thinking GM in this cap era or you are going to live with your mistakes for a long time. That's 5% of your money with nothing to show for it.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Good move for the Isles. All they need now is to send Charles Wang down the garbage shute and it's all good.

Wang did give Ted Nolan a MUCH-DESERVED second chance, after getting unfairly canned in Buffalo nearly a decade ago and had been obviously blackballed since then.

He gets full marks from me on that move alone.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Watch - somehow, the Maple Leafs are gonna sign him to a large contract.

Its very possible... it wouldn't be the first time they have signed old players who had either come off a fluke season or off a bad season hoping they'd rebound.... cough...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I bet he will wind up in Phoenix. He'd fit in great there.

No, he'd fit better in Winnipeg. Yashin's skills are subpar nowadays, just like Winnipeg's chances of getting an NHL team. Get over it.

-E.A.R.

Archived