Restaurant Menu

MrAsterisk

The seafood lasagna is going to have a description, and I will change most of the spelling errors. Caffe` Latte always had the accent, and I can change most of the others. Again, I stress that it's not my position to wholly alter the restaurant's menu offerings; my job is to write them down.

About the "including" thing: I think that "among others" is an acceptable, and perhaps even necessary, clarification. I don't think "including" can always be taken to mean that the list is not exhaustive, hence the very common phrase "including but not limited to".

You need to ditch the semi-colon. It's used incorrectly.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

OMMF: I certainly do care, and have made most of your changes. I didn't add the extra "e" to sauté because both chicken and beef are masculine nouns in French. Conversely, perhaps a little inexplicably, I've decided to stick with the English spelling of "Lasagna".

Here the finished menu:

MenuOutsidePreview.jpg

MenuInsidePreview.jpg

The accent has already been added to "béchamel sauce" for the Seafood Lasagna, in case anyone was going to catch that.

Thank you all for your input and I'm very much open to more C&C!

Its been said before but the font in the descriptions doesn't work with the titles. I second Slappy's move for Frutiger. Besides that the colors are good, nice layout.

The seafood lasagna is going to have a description, and I will change most of the spelling errors. Caffe` Latte always had the accent, and I can change most of the others. Again, I stress that it's not my position to wholly alter the restaurant's menu offerings; my job is to write them down.

About the "including" thing: I think that "among others" is an acceptable, and perhaps even necessary, clarification. I don't think "including" can always be taken to mean that the list is not exhaustive, hence the very common phrase "including but not limited to".

That's true. In most cases where "included but not limited to" is used, it is usually a legal issue. The modifier is there to specifically point out that the list is not complete. The phrase is more of an ass-coverer than anything. :)

Also, there are still some typos on the menu.

Again, I'd love to know what they are, if they weren't included on your original list. I have made most of those changes ("Fettucine" in the Mardi Gras Pasta has been changed, and the accent has been added to Papa Piero's somethingorother.), and addressed specifically the reasons for not making the ones I haven't made. Of course, you have no obligation to expand on this statement -- you are not my paid proofreader -- but a teaser such as this that hints at definite issues without any concrete advice seems a little unnecessary.

Why would it be too late to change the font from Kabel to something respectable, but there's enough time to fix the typos, etc.? Also, I have a hard time believing that a place who's highest priced entrée is $12.95 can be called "upscale".

Why would it be too late to change the font from Kabel to something respectable, but there's enough time to fix the typos, etc.? Also, I have a hard time believing that a place who's highest priced entrée is $12.95 can be called "upscale".

That was my initial thought, too, but then I realized it's the lunch menu. I've been to a few places where you can get a reasonably-priced lunch but the dinner menu will set you back considerably.

Of course, a truly upscale place wouldn't "proudly serve local cheeses". That :censored: would be imported from Italy, and they'd let you know it.

But we're not here to pick apart his claim, we're to critique the design. I think the last version is pretty solid. A font tweak could complete it, but I'd have to see it.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Just a thought, but isn't the whole thingy about consuming undercooked meat required on a menu? I mean, it's a given, but the last thing you want is legal trouble.

Do you need the address on the menu? I mean, the customer's at the restaurant - clearly, they know the location. I made a menu for a design class this past semester, and that was one of the issues my prof brought up.

The font's been brought up, I'm not gonna beat a dead horse...just poke it with a stick.

Again, I'd love to know what they are, if they weren't included on your original list. I have made most of those changes ("Fettucine" in the Mardi Gras Pasta has been changed, and the accent has been added to Papa Piero's somethingorother.), and addressed specifically the reasons for not making the ones I haven't made. Of course, you have no obligation to expand on this statement -- you are not my paid proofreader -- but a teaser such as this that hints at definite issues without any concrete advice seems a little unnecessary.

They were indeed included on my original list. You fixed the ones I specifically mentioned but those words appear elsewhere on the menu still misspelled.

i think it's a solid layout. i do think a font change is necessary, though. i'll vote for univers, because it's among the best of all time. i think the two gray boxes looks a little cluttered; one gray box to encompass the whole deal is all that's needed. speaking of that section, and you should bring this up to the owner, "choices" is a terrible term for that feature. it's just not descriptive enough. i wouldn't even read it if i were looking at the menu. something like "combination platters" would be more appropriate. you don't need the address, especially not more than once. in the sentence about the local farms, the word "like' sounds terribly unprofessional. a comma + "such as" or "including" would be better. after the font's changed, i would go through and try to get rid of all your orphans. orphans are single words on a line, like "cheese" and "sauce" are on the first page.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Looking at the menu again, I spotted a couple other things that bother me. Why is the copyright year in Roman numerals? I know it's an Italian restaurant, but that just seems silly to me.

On the front, the heading for "Pasta" should line up with the heading for "Beverages" on the back. Move those up, so that top entry in the second column of the "Pasta" section lines up with the top entry in the first column, like you have it in the "Salads" section.

I vote for Univers too.

Looking at the menu again, I spotted a couple other things that bother me. Why is the copyright year in Roman numerals? I know it's an Italian restaurant, but that just seems silly to me.

On the front, the heading for "Pasta" should line up with the heading for "Beverages" on the back. Move those up, so that top entry in the second column of the "Pasta" section lines up with the top entry in the first column, like you have it in the "Salads" section.

I vote for Univers too.

I know that this has nothing to do with you, and it can't possibly be changed, but I personally cant stand that logo. It doesnt convey "upscale" to be. Its just too sloppy. I know its meant to look that way, but I dont like it. I think the whole logo needs to be sharper and crisper around the edges. And the man looks like a cheap thing made in Paint, he needs to look more professionally done. But again, I know that you have no power to change that. Otherwise though, the menu looks great.

impastamenu.png

Going down columns from left to right, as if I were reading the menu in preparation for an order...

(1) Pasta Salad Nicoise is either all-caps or no caps. If its a proper name its all-caps. What you have here is a mix of both.

(2) Its just potatos, not "potatoes."

(3) The copyright notice bugs me. If it goes anywhere, it should be on the back of the menu, as "out of sight" as possible. And definitely ditch the roman numerals.

(4) "Sandiwches" and "potatoes"?

(5) I have to admit ignorance here, but "vinaigrette" seems misspelled to me.

(6) Again admitting ignorance, but I've never seen "sauted," but have seen "sauteed."

(7) Broccoli or Broccolli? I think yours is right but honestly am unsure.

(8) I'll bet money you've misspelled "crutouns."

That being said, I actually think the font choices are fine. I'd personally consider modifying the color scheme though if that's an option. "Olive Garden green" doesn't enhance your own restaurant's identity. Maybe some shade of deep red, maybe a distinctive pattern along as background - something distinctive.

nav-logo.png

I'm not sure what app you are using to design this. I just wanted to point out that if it is illustrator, it does have spell check. Sure, it won't catch the italian terms, but the more common words would be picked up.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived