Brooklyn nets

TruColor

The Brooklyn Dodgers move is still by far the greatest crime in the history of sports.

Aw, the Brooklyn-to-Los Angeles move paved the way for baseball on the West Coast. And even tho your papers don't print our scores, that's a damn good thing.

If we're talking moving franchises, I'd say the Colts' midnight exodus from Baltimore was a bigger shock. As far as crimes go, swapping Babe Ruth and almost of century's worth of dominance for the funds to produce "No-No Nanette" was bigger by far.

If we put our minds to it, I bet we could come up w/ some more crimes worse than the Dodgers' move.

Barring blacks from organized competition. Top that crime in the history of sports.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a member of the Transport Workers Union of America. Myself and my brothers are gonna fight to keep an arena away from the LIRR train yards. If they remove the yards, they remove over 100 good Transportation jobs from the area. most of the workers who work at the LIRR train yards live in that area, and it would be a shame if the MTA allowed this guy to just come in and buy the place.

Let the Nets stay in New Jersey.

btw: x man. I dont want the Islanders to move out of Nassau county. people who live in Queens and Brooklyn dont consider themselves apart of Long Island. they are New Yorkers. the Islanders represent the people of Nassau and Suffolk county, if they want to build an arena. they should build a new one right in the area where the old barn sits. but untill the Isles can get out of there contract with SMG i think they'll be playing games at the Nassau Coliseum for a long time.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

The New York Times is reporting that the New Jersey Nets have been SOLD to Bruce Ratner for $300 million. As we all know, Ratner's goal is to move the team to a brand new arena-anchored development in Brooklyn after the Nets' current Meadowlands lease expires in 2008.

A last minute proposal from Charles Kushner, who pledged to keep the team in New Jersey, wasn't even considered down the stretch.

So... no telling what the future holds for a Brooklyn arena deal, but the Nets' sale to Ratner is apparently a "fait accompli".

Brian in Boston

As a New Jerseyite, I have a real problem with the move. Especially since the media is depicting the deal as apathetic New Jersey fans don't want their team.

Here is an article about why the Newark arena deal died. It's about politics, race and other crap. Not anything to do with people not wanting the teams in the state.

These fans here talk about how they're upset the team is moving.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Here is what they're going to do with the Meadowlands site once the sports teams move.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls....e.jhtml

It's called Meadowlands Xanadu and will include a whole bunch of crap, including the first Indoor Alpine Ski resort in the US, extreme sports park, minor league baseball stadium

http://www.meadowlandsmills.com/media.html

Now what I say is - this is dandy and wonderful. But what about the investment lost from the sports teams? More important, why couldn't we have the Newark arena and this? Apparently, it might happen. The Devils are asking for their Newark arena

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004....ndup.ap

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

As a New Jerseyite, I have a real problem with the move. Especially since the media is depicting the deal as apathetic New Jersey fans don't want their team.

The fact is, the Nets are the 2-time defending Eastern Champions and are next to last in average attendance. That is pathetic (and a-pathy).

Relating this back to logos, there are some rumblings that the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority may try to keep the Nets from taking their name with them in hopes of saving it for a future NJ franchise (ala the Cleveland Browns). The chairman of the NJSEA suggested naming the team "Rats" after the Nets' new owner, Bruce Ratner.

The fact is, the Nets are the 2-time defending Eastern Champions and are next to last in average attendance. That is pathetic (and a-pathy).

Relating this back to logos, there are some rumblings that the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority may try to keep the Nets from taking their name with them in hopes of saving it for a future NJ franchise (ala the Cleveland Browns). The chairman of the NJSEA suggested naming the team "Rats" after the Nets' new owner, Bruce Ratner.

amen. the new jersey sports fans claimed that they sufferd with the nets, which they did. however, you would think that now that the team is a 2 time eastern conference champion, the fans would be estatic, but that is far from the case.

as for the idea to keep the name nets in jersey, its not the same as the browns. cleaveland fans loved the browns. jersey fans are so-so when it comes to the nets.

I don't think the situation with the nets would improve in Brooklyn. People in Brooklyn who are Knick fans aren't going become Nets fans just because it say's Brooklyn on the jerseys. Those people are going to stay Knicks fans. The attendance will stay the same.

I know this isn't germane to the topic-at-hand (we've really strayed on this one!), but has anybody even mentioned how the Knicks play into this? What are the chances that Cablevision and The Garden pulls the territoriality card and blocks the move? I'd think that issue might need to be resolved before they even consider a move.

Or am I 100% off-base?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I thought I read that the Knicks CAN'T oppose this move, since (for some reason) they DON'T own the territorial rights...sounds like the NBA will approve it as well, along with "Brooklyn" as the team location name.

I thought I read that the Knicks CAN'T oppose this move, since (for some reason) they DON'T own the territorial rights...sounds like the NBA will approve it as well, along with "Brooklyn" as the team location name.

From ESPN's Darren Rovell: "For $300 million, Bruce Ratner now has the right to move them there [brooklyn] if he pleases since the New York Knicks do not own any territorial rights."

ESPN

Also, does anyone know if the NBA has a rule similar to the NFL regarding a franchise's identity staying with them after a move? Is it possible for a city to retain ownership of a team's identity like the Browns or, in the NHL, the Whalers?

...oh, and one more thing...the NBA considers this a move within the same territory; so this would be different than Vancouver to Memphis, or Charlotte to New Orleans.

So this will be seen as something like the MLB's Angels?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Big NY Times coverage of the Brooklyn purchase, made a big play as to what to name the team.  Locals interviewed implied

"Nets" not germane to Brooklyn, new nickname in order, as did Times reporters/essayists.  Maybe this is a new/another thread, but how about some alternative Brooklyn NBA nicknames?  ???  I'll toss in my own 2 cents, in light of the events of 9/11 in NY, and the fact that surpisingly no other big league team uses it, the ONLY appropriate Brooklyn NBA name is... drumroll & fanfare, please...

BROOKLYN AMERICANS!!

YO Amerks, kinda grows on ya, don't it?!  Can't ya see the red-white-blue scheme?!  And wasn't there an NHL Brooklyn

Americans in the 40's?  FUGGEDDABOUDIT!!    :D

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

And wasn't there an NHL Brooklyn

Americans in the 40's?  

Interesting enough, the Brooklyn Americans played in New Jersey. They never played a game in Brooklyn.

NHL.com Vintage Hockey- New York Americans

All reports I ever heard was that the Americans played all their games in Manhattan, not New Jersey or Brooklyn

from the link...

Like the NFL's New York Giants and Jets that actually play their home games in New Jersey, the Americans never played an NHL game in the borough that bore their name

it doesn't say they played in new jersey, but rather like the giants and jets who do play in jersey, they never played a game in the place that they represent.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived