New Unis and Championships

cranium

It seems of late, that changing a uniform can OCCASIONALLY get a team over the top to a championship. I've noticed this most in the NFL - Broncos, Titans (make Super Bowl), Patriots (a year after the change). Now the Ducks in the NHL. I know that this is not a huge trend, but it does seem like luck can turn with new duds. Just pondering.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

But the opposite has also happened just as often.

The first one to spring to mind is when the Rockets, who switched to their pajama-era unis right after winning their back-to-back titles in 1994 and 1995.

But another example of a jersey/logo change is the Spurs in 2002-03.

I think it more has to do with the fact teams change their image (uniforms, colors, logos) to correspond with major changes in the team (high draft picks, big free agent moves, new coaches, etc.)

But the opposite has also happened just as often.

The first one to spring to mind is when the Rockets, who switched to their pajama-era unis right after winning their back-to-back titles in 1994 and 1995.

I think it more has to do with the fact teams change their image (uniforms, colors, logos) to correspond with major changes in the team (high draft picks, big free agent moves, new coaches, etc.)

Another example would be the Colorado Avalanche (first year in new city with new unis), while an opposite example would be the Pittsburgh Penguins, would changed their uniform immediately after their two Cup wins.

The Jazz made it to the finals for the first time after they switched to the mountain look

Didn't they wear the old uniforms in the first of their b-2-b losses to the Bulls?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's jersey karma. A couple years back, Lord Stanley said "No f'ing WAY am I going to allow the 'MIGHTY DUCKS OF ANAHEIM' to put their name on my trophy." But he's cool with "Anaheim Ducks".

Sadly, he's not omnipotent so he can't stop "2004-2005 No Season Played" or next year's winner from lifting the Cup wearing an abomination that's the bastard child of New Coke and Cooperalls.

1zgyd8w.jpg

As far as teams Making it to the championship games didn't the Knicks have thier new blue trim home unis the year they lost to the spurs in 99?

Also does any one know any teams that won the championship after a coaching, trade, change?

The one I remember is that the White Sox won the World Series in 05 in Ozzie's second year

The Jazz made it to the finals for the first time after they switched to the mountain look

Didn't they wear the old uniforms in the first of their b-2-b losses to the Bulls?

Nope, they had the mountain jerseys for both years

The New York Giants (NFL) changed their logo in 2000 in a retro-way. Back to the lower case NY and different jerseys, very similar to the 1950's and 60's jerseys, and made the Super Bowl in 2000....and proceded to get destroyed by the Ravens 34-7.

-Carl

As far as teams Making it to the championship games didn't the Knicks have thier new blue trim home unis the year they lost to the spurs in 99?

Also does any one know any teams that won the championship after a coaching, trade, change?

The one I remember is that the White Sox won the World Series in 05 in Ozzie's second year

As for coaching changes, the New Jersey Devils fired the head coach (Robbie Ftorek) and went on to win the Cup in 2000 with Larry Robinson behind the bench. Sadly, the Devils did the same thing this year (fired their coach Claude Julian) with 3 regular season games left, and lost to Ottawa in 5 games (I was at the final game at the Meadowlands..with GM Loe Lamoriello behind the bench....so for the 2nd straight year the Devils lost a coach mid season...either by firing him or personal issues and went on to lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs)

-Carl

YankeesSig.png

Brendancopy.png

NewJerseyDevils2.png

I thought the Spurs unis had been the same for at least 20 years...unless you're talking about the logo at center court, which I don't think should count. This should be about major uni/logo changes. As far as changes in the same year:

NFL: Bengals in 81 (lost SB)

Broncos in 97-98

Buccaneers in 97 (made playoffs after 14 years)

Titans (lost SB)

Giants in 2000 (lost SB)

Jets in 98 (lost AFC Champ game)

Eagles in 96 (lost in playoffs)

Rams in 73 (lost in playoffs)

49ers in 96 (made playoffs)

Redskins in 72 (lost SB)

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

The Bucs did it.

Which Bucs are you refering to?

Tampa Bay (NFL)

Yes if you're just talking playoff. If your talking about winning the championship, that was a fairly long gap - they changed in 1997 and didn't win the Super Bowl until their 6th season in pewter.

Archived