NHL to expand?

Ez Street

For hockey to go full-time to NBC, wouldn't that require NBC to be a willing party? The NHL will be lucky if NBC remains on their contract long-term with the dismal ratings the Cup Final drew. Was it Game 3 that garnered the lowest rating in the primetime history of NBC? I'd love to see the league get more exposure, but I very much doubt that NBC has had an experience that would lead them to go deeper into the NHL.

Then again, hockey has got to be better than (insert reality show here) that NBC would otherwise show.

NBC might consider keeping the NHL, as long as they keep their "sharing profits", no-money deal, since it doesn't look like they'll have any basic-TV rival looking to make a deal.

If the NHL wants to get better ratings than Mama's Family, they need bigger market Eastern teams reaching the Finals, as well as two American markets playing in the Finals.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the NHL is to expand, they are going back to Canada. With the a salary cap, I think it could work out in places like Winnipeg, Quebec City or even Hamilton. There is already talk of the Predator possibly relocating there. I think the NHL will move out of the Sun Belt and go back to the Snow Belt. Don't be surprise to hear cities like Hartford, Portland, Indianapolis, Seattle come up in relocation. As we have seen, the NHL is not a TV sport so the size of the market is immaterial. As I read on a Winnipeg fansite, as an owner, I'd rather have 300,000 fans in a population of 700,000 than 20,000 fans in a market of 4,000,000

Exactly. And for this reason, popular opinion about Winnipeg (and other cities) as potential NHL cities is changing.

For hockey to go full-time to NBC, wouldn't that require NBC to be a willing party? The NHL will be lucky if NBC remains on their contract long-term with the dismal ratings the Cup Final drew. Was it Game 3 that garnered the lowest rating in the primetime history of NBC? I'd love to see the league get more exposure, but I very much doubt that NBC has had an experience that would lead them to go deeper into the NHL.

Then again, hockey has got to be better than (insert reality show here) that NBC would otherwise show.

NBC might consider keeping the NHL, as long as they keep their "sharing profits", no-money deal, since it doesn't look like they'll have any basic-TV rival looking to make a deal.

If the NHL wants to get better ratings than Mama's Family, they need bigger market Eastern teams reaching the Finals, as well as two American markets playing in the Finals.

EXACTLY! Boston, The Rangers, Philadelphia, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal need to be cup contenders on a consistent basis. Detroit always is so no worries about them. Pittsburgh as well should be with MVP Crosby in the fold. The same thing is happening in the NBA. When the Celtics, Knicks, 76ers and Lakers suck the league suffers.

EXACTLY. Boston, The Rangers, Philadelphia, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal need to be cup contenders on a consistent basis. Detroit always is so no worries about them. Pittsburgh as well should be with MVP Crosby in the fold.

Agreed. It seems that for the most part the original six teams are decent from year to year with the exception of Chicago. I thought that they had a good start to the season & then Havlat went down. The teams the formed the league do need to be the gold standard & have productive seasons.

^ They need to actually hire compitent GMs and coaches and players if theya re to contend. The Leafs won't go anywhere with JFJ in charge. Maurice can be the coach, but the GM has to get him players he can work with and use first.

You can say that 'these teams NEED to be in the finals' but it's not about who should be, it's about who's good enough to make it. Talent and having a good year is not dependant on the market they're in, or if it's a Northern or Southern team. It's about being able to put a good team on the ice and manage it properly.

If a team can't, then they don't deserve anything. Just because the Rangers are in a huge market with all sorts of media coverage doesn't mean that they deserve anymore that anyother team to make it into the finals. For years they couldn't even make the post season with an unlimited budget and the man who built the Oilers dynasty. Meanwhile, you have teams like Edmonton and such who didn't have the large payroll or media who just start winning games and boom, Cup Finals

^ They need to actually hire compitent GMs and coaches and players if theya re to contend. The Leafs won't go anywhere with JFJ in charge. Maurice can be the coach, but the GM has to get him players he can work with and use first.

You can say that 'these teams NEED to be in the finals' but it's not about who should be, it's about who's good enough to make it. Talent and having a good year is not dependant on the market they're in, or if it's a Northern or Southern team. It's about being able to put a good team on the ice and manage it properly.

If a team can't, then they don't deserve anything. Just because the Rangers are in a huge market with all sorts of media coverage doesn't mean that they deserve anymore that anyother team to make it into the finals. For years they couldn't even make the post season with an unlimited budget and the man who built the Oilers dynasty. Meanwhile, you have teams like Edmonton and such who didn't have the large payroll or media who just start winning games and boom, Cup Finals

I don't think any of us here said the Big Eastern teams deserve to be in the finals just that the NHL and television needs to have these teams be competitive on a consistent basiss o they have a chance to get to the finals and bring the ratings up. You are right about them needing compitent GM's and coaches. Also ownerships groups that are not cheap and idiotic would help.

EXACTLY. Boston, The Rangers, Philadelphia, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal need to be cup contenders on a consistent basis. Detroit always is so no worries about them. Pittsburgh as well should be with MVP Crosby in the fold.

Agreed. It seems that for the most part the original six teams are decent from year to year with the exception of Chicago. I thought that they had a good start to the season & then Havlat went down. The teams the formed the league do need to be the gold standard & have productive seasons.

Boston has also played like poo more often than not IIRC the last couple of years. But that's management/ownership.

If the NHL is to expand, they are going back to Canada.

I strongly doubt that. US guys have more money to throw around for an expansion team. Any new Canadian team will be a relocation only.

With the a salary cap, I think it could work out in places like Winnipeg, Quebec City or even Hamilton.

Cap's been going up the last couple of years, so I wonder how much longer its benefits will stick around.

As for the markets...Winnipeg's arena is too small, Quebec's arena is way too old, and Hamilton's arena (ironically) is too old.

There is already talk of the Predator possibly relocating there.

Yup, which is about the only way they'll get a team.

I think the NHL will move out of the Sun Belt and go back to the Snow Belt.

Because we should just consider everything down there a failure... :rolleyes:

Don't be surprise to hear cities like Hartford, Portland, Indianapolis, Seattle come up in relocation.

Hartford: No. They need an arena simply so the NHL board of governors wouldn't laugh the idiot who proposed moving there immediately out of the room. Rather, it would take them ten minutes.

Portland: Maybe, but the arena's owner no like hockey (reportedly).

Indianapolis: Dear God, no...(ROFLMAO). They play during the same time as the Pacers. In Indiana, where basketball's a religion. And they go up against the Colts as well during the start of the NHL season, which also hurts. This would be the move most guaranteed to fail.

Seattle: *standard boiler plate message about Key Arena not being NHL compatible that will go unread*

As we have seen, the NHL is not a TV sport so the size of the market is immaterial.

But if you can make it a tv sport, then market size becomes relevant again.

As I read on a Winnipeg fansite, as an owner, I'd rather have 300,000 fans in a population of 700,000 than 20,000 fans in a market of 4,000,000

I dunno...20,000 fans is roughly 5000 more than you can fit in the new Winnipeg Arena. Since you seem to be giving up on the tv route for fans, the gate becomes even more important. If you can only get 15,000 in at a time, the other 285,000 are rather irrelevant.

(Though that statistic strikes me as being very skewed and misrepresents Phoenix greatly).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If I were commish, and everything lined up perfectly, here's what'd I'd do:

Move the Preds to Ontario.

Move the Panthers to KC.

Move the Coyotes back to Winnipeg.

Retract the Jackets and Islanders.

There, now you've got a league.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Why would you retract a team that once won 4 straight Stanley Cups?

He also wants to relocate a team that has had strong support despite being terrible their entire existence and were one of the few profitable teams before the lockout.

Move the Panthers to KC.

Preds to Ontario (looking possible)

Panthers to KC (good thought, but the timing isn't right, they're not doing half bad business-wise)

Coyotes to Winnipeg (not going to happen with a new arena deal in place in Glendale)

Retract the Jackets (maybe, but not going to happen)

Retract the Islanders (no way, just because their the 3rd team in a saturated market, and the fact you're and Rangers fan, doesn't mean you cut out the Isles, they're a decent team in the #1 US Market)

Move the Panthers to KC.

you can relocate the preds, panthers, yotes and contract the jackets all you want, fine with i really don't care about those teams but axing the isles is a big no-no. Isles fans will burn down NYC and hunt down and ..... (please don't advocate violance) the bums that even try to rectract the isles.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

He also wants to relocate a team that has had strong support despite being terrible their entire existence and were one of the few profitable teams before the lockout.

Exactly, I'll post this again for the second time in this thread. The Blue Jackets are one of the BETTER FRANCHISES IN THE LEAGUE!

From Page 4 of this very same thread: As the resident Columbus Blue Jackets fan here and current Columbus resident I'm going to have to step in here and say that none of you have any idea what you're talking about. You're all assuming that because this isn't Cincinnati or Cleveland that we can't support a major league franchise.

First of all Columbus is the 15th largest city in the United States (730,657) and 32 largest metro area (1,725,570). It is the largest city in Ohio which makes it a viable location for an NHL franchise. We can support a professional sports franchise and we have since 2000 without any problem.

Second of all the Blue Jackets have been one of only a handful of profitable teams in this league. They were one of eleven teams to turn a profit in the season that prompted the lockout (03-04).

They play in an unsaturated NHL market with the closest team being Pittsburgh at 185 miles. This team has finished in the top half of the league in 4 out of there 6 years despite having a crappy product on the ice and once cracked the big 10. They have never been in the bottom ten for attendance.

I just get pissed off when people like yourself assume that the Jackets aren't doing well when they clearly have the corporate support, and fan support to be an asset to this league. Hell, they already are an asset to this league.

All I have to say is that now that the Jackass Doug Maclean is gone, this team finally has some hope of getting better. And when the Jackets are good, watch out, because that arena will be packed night after night. We have an inferiority complex here, just like Buffalo and people in this city will support the hell out of a good team. We're not another Nashville.

PvO6ZWJ.png

EXACTLY! Boston, The Rangers, Philadelphia, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal need to be cup contenders on a consistent basis. Detroit always is so no worries about them. Pittsburgh as well should be with MVP Crosby in the fold. The same thing is happening in the NBA. When the Celtics, Knicks, 76ers and Lakers suck the league suffers.

Aside from Montreal and Toronto, the NHL needs the big-market teams to not just reach the playoffs, but go far. NBC likely won't get many more viewers if Toronto or Montreal reach the Finals, since those local markets don't contribute to ratings.

All I have to say is that now that the Jackass Doug Maclean is gone, this team finally has some hope of getting better. And when the Jackets are good, watch out, because that arena will be packed night after night. We have an inferiority complex here, just like Buffalo and people in this city will support the hell out of a good team. We're not another Nashville.

I have noticed each game and highlight I've seen, that arena is packed and the people are genuinely pumped to be there. I think it's the lack of on-ice success that has kept the Jackets out of many's headlines and therefore ideas of wether or not they are a successful franchise

Obviously none of what I want to happen will EVER happen - Preds to Hamilton is a stretch right now, too.

The reason I want the Islanders gone is the same reason I want the Devils and Flyers gone. They all suck. At least it feels good when the Rangers beat the Devils or Flyers. It's become so routine with the Islanders since 1987, that it's not even funny anymore. I just feel bad for them that they're still in the league.

Oh, and I hate the Panthers and Jackets jerseys. If the Panthers move to KC, they'll change them. If the Jackets retract, then I won't have to hear about people who call themselves "Jackets fans." It sounds ridiculous, and there's nothing to be a fan about.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I applaud your logic. clapping.gif

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Obviously none of what I want to happen will EVER happen - Preds to Hamilton is a stretch right now, too.

The reason I want the Islanders gone is the same reason I want the Devils and Flyers gone. They all suck. At least it feels good when the Rangers beat the Devils or Flyers. It's become so routine with the Islanders since 1987, that it's not even funny anymore. I just feel bad for them that they're still in the league.

Oh, and I hate the Panthers and Jackets jerseys. If the Panthers move to KC, they'll change them. If the Jackets retract, then I won't have to hear about people who call themselves "Jackets fans." It sounds ridiculous, and there's nothing to be a fan about.

So in other words, you only want these teams retracted becasue you don't like them. You have no rational basis for your statement

I'd love to see the NHL back in places like Winnipeg, Quebec, and Hartford. Its been a decade since the last of them had a team (Hartford-1997) and it still seems somewhat odd that they're not there--just like the Expos and Hornets, and the list goes on and on.

That being said, it just is not feasable anymore. In the era of 24/7 media coverage where your T.O.'s and Barry Bonds and Tiger Woods are always on the front page of every site and the lead story on every highlight show and whatever, the NHL just keeps fading. For some reason, people are in love with UFC, and NASCAR and what T.O. had for dinner and getting bonus coverage of every Barry Bonds at bat over the past five years. The point is, the NHL now has to fight and claw to try and get just some face time nowadays, and teams in smaller markets, especially non-American, is just going to make the problem worse.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go flip though 18 channels worth of the latest news from Paris Hilton in prison...it's not like theres any wars going on or anything...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

How about we get rid of all the NHL teams except the Rangers. Then they can play with themselves. :P

Archived