MLB Re-Align

goforbroke

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we were to go to 32, I'd prefer to see Montreal get a new Expos team; imagine the instant divisional rivalry with the Nationals...but overall, MTL's for a whole other thread.

As for the main, when this expand/realign thing was brought up earlier, I had the Reds in the NL South such that the Cubs/Cards rivalry would remain intact (Pittsburgh and Milwaukee would complete the NL North). This would also bring together the eastern half of the original NL West (ATL, CIN, HOU), with the Florida (soon Miami) Marlins rounding the foursome out. Also, the Rockies would switch leagues.

BTW, I like the idea of the same-finishers-in-opposite-league I/L setup.

[447]

I'd like to see baseball return to Montreal as well, I believe that the original Expos were railroaded and that Montreal is fully capable of supporting pro baseball. But we all know that won't happen anytime soon.

Please. Cubs-Cardinals-Brewers-ROCKIES? Stop.

Defend that assertion. Why should MLB be relegated to three divisions? You will never get an equal amount of teams in each division by doing that, and it doesn't improve geography in the slightest. In retrospect, the Rockies could probably swap leagues with one of the non-Texas AL Central teams, but to argue that re-alignment to four divisions is absurd because of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Denver division is absurd. It is no worse than the current setup of placing Tampa Bay in a division in which their closest competitor is located in Baltimore. Last time I checked, Baltimore is farther from St. Petersburg than St. Louis is from Colorado, and the NL division you cite as being ridiculous above features far closer rivals for Colorado than the current AL East does for Tampa Bay.

No division alignment is ever going to be completely perfect, but using relatively minor and irrelevant issues to thwart an entire plan is obnoxiously simplistic and obstructionist.

From these 10 markets who should get the 2 expansion teams if MLB should expand (they shouldn't though):

Orlando

Sacramento

Portland

Indianapolis

Charlotte

Nashville

Montreal

Vancouver

San Antonio

Las Vegas

As stated many times before, Portland and San Antonio are probably the top 2 candidates for expansion/relocation.

From these 10 markets who should get the 2 expansion teams if MLB should expand (they shouldn't though):

Orlando

Sacramento

Portland

Indianapolis

Charlotte

Nashville

Montreal

Vancouver

San Antonio

Las Vegas

As stated many times before, Portland and San Antonio are probably the top 2 candidates for expansion/relocation.

Agreed. Sacramento intrigues me as a market though. The RiverCats do draw well as an AAA team, the Kings draw well, and the market would still be relatively unsaturated if a team relocated there. The only real issue I can see is a stadium. The area has been relatively stingy with the Kings in their quest to get a new arena, so I don't know if they would spring for a team.

the market would still be relatively unsaturated if a team relocated there

The Giants and A's have owned Northern California for quite some time now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

the market would still be relatively unsaturated if a team relocated there

The Giants and A's have owned Northern California for quite some time now.

You may be right, I don't know the specfics of the area so I was just talking specfically about the Sacramento area. Then again, it hasn't hurt the Kings, has it?

What is SAC-town? 90 min. from the Bay Area driving on I-80?

Orlando

Sacramento

Portland

Indianapolis

Charlotte

Nashville

Montreal

Vancouver

San Antonio

Las Vegas

The correct answer is "none"

If I had to pick two...San Antonio and Portland.

Sacramento and Montreal are the next two.

After that, Vancouver and Las Vegas, then Indianapolis and Charlotte, and finally Orlando and Nashville.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived