MLS Comes To Detroit! Motor City FC!

DelayedPenalty

Complete redesign of the logo was made after some questions about my choice of words, and similarity of color scheme to other teams.

Motor-City-FC-Crest-1.png

Updated kits are located below. Let me know what you think!

I followed the advise of changing the interstate plate to the shorts to hold the number. I added the crest to the left side of the shirt and included a sponsor on both the home and road. Again I used gordi_delini's template.

Motor-City-Home-Kit.png

Home

MCFC-Road-Kit.png

Road

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being originally from Detroit myself, I have always been partial to the idea of Motor City FC for a team name. However, I do like your idea, and I think the crest is very well done. The incorporation of the "Spirit of Detroit" is a must (in my opinion) and has been used by someone else for a soccer/football team logo before. You use of old English style letter, though not really fitting with the French influence still looks appropriate. The addition of the soccer ball on the statue is a bit cliche, but still good.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Well, I find it well done. Its a nice looking logo. It really is.

However, it looks too much like a logo for the city and not enough like a logo for a team. Although I like the idea, I think its just not definitively a sports logo enough.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

I think the use of an interstate highway sign as the shield design provides a clever reference to Detroit's central role in the automotive industry. Nice touch.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Kudos for recognizing the French Heritage (I wished more Canadians would foillow your example up here....)

That being said , I have no idea why you call it Royalé.

There is absolutely no such word in Molière's tongue.

The Accent Aigu can not just be sprinkled for French taste, just like the "humlait" (sp.) can't make any English word German, etc.

Too bad it's associated with the Car, because the Cadillacs would have a nice sound.

It you want to make it French, try les Royaux, or les Monarques.

As for the crest, I really like it, I'd like to see it without the yellow, or at least get the same yellow as the flag's (more mustard) this one screems Hendricks Motorsporst to me...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

This is really top notch. I like how you took the time to do research and incorporate the city into the crest. The colors do remind of RSL, but they are the colors on the flag, so I don't think its that bad. Would love to see some kits for this concept.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Your concept is decent, but you need to go back to the drawing board in terms of a team name.

Motor City FC would be a great name. It sounds Europeanish, but it's not a direct ripoff. It would be perfect.

Royalé, though, is terrible. You can't just invent words.

i think this would be stronger if you made the blue in the shield white, and replaced the black from the original statue image with blue...look how much stronger the original statue image is than yours...it's because your shading is all wrong...the parts that are light should be dark, and vice-versa

while you're at it it, make the wordmark blue with no outline and replace the word Royale (i might explore a sans serif font for the word you choose to replace it, as well as the Est. 2007)

it's a good start, and the research you put in is very commendable, but it's not quite right yet

jldesigns404eo.png

I think the use of an interstate highway sign as the shield design provides a clever reference to Detroit's central role in the automotive industry. Nice touch.

Nice catch sodboy, I forgot to mention that in my writeup, but yes, the shield does mimic the US Interstate signs.

Wow. And I just made something for Detroit... Still, this is pretty awesome, I like it. Any uniforms?

Uniforms might be in the works once I get the logo sorted out and to a point that I'm happy with.

Your concept is decent, but you need to go back to the drawing board in terms of a team name.

Motor City FC would be a great name. It sounds Europeanish, but it's not a direct ripoff. It would be perfect.

Royalé, though, is terrible. You can't just invent words.

I considered Motor City FC, but I think the term "motor city" is overused around here, everything is motorcity, even the weather reports on the radio! I wanted something classier, less cliche. My translation problem is partially my fault. I asked my cousin if royalé was the proper translation and she told said it was just "royale" sans accent egu, however, I found a few old books of my parent's lying around that have both royale and royalé in them. Anyone know if maybe Spanish or Italian use Royalé. In anycase I will change it. Frenchie suggested les Royaux, any other suggestions?

Change the name to Motor City FC or even FC Detroit if you wish, but I think that you don't have to change a thing. Perhaps consider a color change of some kind, maybe switching yellow with something else, but it looks great to me. Excellent work.

-E.A.R.

Okay, so the name's bad, but you've either missed or ignored the best critique in this thread - Leggman's.

The crest looks wrong because you've reversed the colours on the Spirit of Detroit. Those colours aren't interchangable - they're areas of light and shadow created by the orb's rays. Those highlights and shadows suggest depth and define shape. You've taken a rendering of a 3-dimensional object and made it look like the inside of a mold of that object instead.

Okay, so the name's bad, but you've either missed or ignored the best critique in this thread - Leggman's.

The crest looks wrong because you've reversed the colours on the Spirit of Detroit. Those colours aren't interchangable - they're areas of light and shadow created by the orb's rays. Those highlights and shadows suggest depth and define shape. You've taken a rendering of a 3-dimensional object and made it look like the inside of a mold of that object instead.

I didn't miss it, I'm working on it, just didn't comment on it.

Changes! Big changes!!

That whole fake French word fiasco is out the door and I've switched my focus in a new direction. As suggested by a number of people the team has gone through a name change before playing a single game, please welcome Motor City FC!

Motor-City-FC-Crest-1.png

I kept the original shape of the crest, but altered the colors to closely resemble an Interstate route marker. The Spirit of Detroit remained the same but was switched to a dark color, since the part that shows is technically the shadowed area of the sculpture. I ditched the Est. 2007 and just have Motor City FC using a font called "Uzusi" (Isuzu backwards) also continuing the automotive theme. The yellow is gone, but the red and blue still remain, somewhat tying the French heritage in there, although very loosely.

Once again let me know what you think. I'm working on a few other variations, look for them in the near future (I hope). C&C welcome as always!

I like the name change. Taking out yellow made it stand out a bit more from RSL. Great improvements.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived