Some help with a logo

VC//

Ok i did this in vector myself (trying hard to find time to practice that program and corel 13). It looks fine i guess, but its missing some things, i don't know what its missing. Shadows? Colour isn't the problem, i can change the colours.

C+C is desperately needed, a lot of help.

The logo is just something i am trying to do for a cousin of mine, not being paid for it or anything. Just incase people wondered. I did do up this though on paper and then scanned it and vectorized it, now i just need to figure out how to make it stand out.

solo_logo2copy.png

I can't seem to do this properly in vector either...the o's are just screwing me up very nicely, must be a beginners thing. But yeah, this is the full word mark part of it i guess its called.

Solo-1-entertainment2c.jpg

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

i reckon:

forget the s1 thing, i dont get it.

incorporate the 1 into the word solo, ie. so1o. quite clever i reckon.

change the 1 to match the style of eth rest of the font. i dont get the gothic serif thing you have at the moment.

the x height line (the imaginary line that runs along the top of both o's should run along the middle of the s also. even if you curve it as you have done.

perhaps go with a lower case s.

if you want a hand vectorising it, ill help you out.

fd

Lol, all that sounds pretty complicating. I did do a sketch of how it would look with the 1 but i couldn't figure out how the match the S and O's to match the 1 i have. I like the way the 1 looks and yeah i guess i can ditch the S1 logo.

I just can't get the vector part down, for some reason i'm having problems with doing things with programs (not a program issue, more like concentrating and trying to figure it out).

I could do more sketches of the solo wordmark thingy, with the 1 and have the letters match the 1? i'll just be up a creek without a paddle when it comes time to vector it and add flair to it with illustrator/coreldraw13.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

a quick sketch up of what i mean.

solo.jpg

I like the first one, but the o's aren't the same, should they be the same or is doing it like that fine? For the sake of you know, unity or whatever? I don't want to sound like some whiny dude or anything, i want to learn as much as i can and apply it to things i want to do with illustrator or rather, vectorizing logo's and stuff for myself. I like the work you do, glad you responded.

EDIT: durr...i finally see it now (i shoulda kept my glasses on, haha) the arc goes from the s to the last o. I like that. I'll try to work off that and post updates from your help, i really appreciate this fd.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

a quick sketch up of what i mean.

solo.jpg

I like the first one, but the o's aren't the same, should they be the same or is doing it like that fine? For the sake of you know, unity or whatever? I don't want to sound like some whiny dude or anything, i want to learn as much as i can and apply it to things i want to do with illustrator or rather, vectorizing logo's and stuff for myself. I like the work you do, glad you responded.

okay i see.

the first drawing was a touch confusing. i thought the whole thing sort of arced. give me a few minutes and ill get back to you. ill try and give you some tips on how to do it if i think of a clever way too.

Now that i see it vectorized i like what you did earlier, better. The o's like that look odd, it doesn't flow at all.

I like the arched one you did above this last one, looks more unified, like its meant to be like that and not forced. I'll work off that, just gotta vector that one you did and play around with it.

I wanted to add 3d type of effect to it, with like a shadow type of deal in the letters, pain in the rear to do for someone new to illustrator like myself but i'll give it a shot and show it here sooner than later.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

First of all, I would say that Vector isn't second nature to anyone, those who do it well, have experience (and probably tons of grey hair, if any left).

Don't be afraid to PLAY with the vectors, save frequently with "version" names changing as often as you want. And very often the best concept comes either as a fluke, or as a natural evolution, but rarely do you get it from 2 or 3 versions. Invest in PATIENCE, it'll pay off (note that I'm still looking for the right "broker" of patience, and still can't find one who'll stick with me).

As for the SOLO concept, I think most of the version are acceptable, it all depends on what it's for, the strategy...

I actually like the one with the 2 o's sloped, but I get a feeling of factory, or at least builder, building design from it.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

this logo package reminds me of a logo that Nike or RBK or adidas would make up for one of their contracted basketball players...like tony parker's

Tparker.png

jermaine o'neal's

Joneal.png

and chris paul's

Cpaul.png

that isnt a bad thing, its probably a good thing, it just depends on what the logo will be used for. if this is for your friends floral arrangement business, it might not fit the bill. anyway, i like the look of it and the idea, i like FD's take on it best.

I like how that looks...i haven't really slept at all for 2 days so i'm going to take a nap, hit the gym, then work on it since i played around with illustrator today.

I'll toy around with some of the things that FD has come up with (nice logo change by the way, but personally i liked the other one a lot more).

First of all, I would say that Vector isn't second nature to anyone, those who do it well, have experience (and probably tons of grey hair, if any left).

Don't be afraid to PLAY with the vectors, save frequently with "version" names changing as often as you want. And very often the best concept comes either as a fluke, or as a natural evolution, but rarely do you get it from 2 or 3 versions. Invest in PATIENCE, it'll pay off (note that I'm still looking for the right "broker" of patience, and still can't find one who'll stick with me).

As for the SOLO concept, I think most of the version are acceptable, it all depends on what it's for, the strategy...

I actually like the one with the 2 o's sloped, but I get a feeling of factory, or at least builder, building design from it.

It's something i'm doing for fun. My buddies were getting into club promotions and i said how hard can it be to do a proper logo for your damn self and then i figured hey why not take that as a challenge and have something to add to my portfolio, which is extremely lacking in the computer graphic arts department. I have enough drafting and design work, nothing to showcase that i can actually learn things fast and do something like this as fun and then put it in my portfolio.

No way in hell do i want to get into the club business, that's just too retarded for me to even pretend to like. My cousin is one of those buddies, his so called promotions is Redline and Kinetix...i found that to be lame, so i told them pick any name and i'll do a logo that's 100x better than theirs (they just ripped off nintendo's logo and crap like that). So they picked Solo, screwed with the name, but they said i couldn't do it.

With the help of talented people's advice and direction, i can learn a lot, so i posted on here with that.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

solo3.png

I know i still have a long way to go on this, but thanks to FD for the help and the .ai files. How does this look? well how do THESE look?

C+C.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I like the red as well, but since this is a fun thing, i just wanted to first make sure the logo/wordmark...whatever the technical term is, stands out on its own, in black/white or in this case, black and cyan.

I couldn't really come up with something better than what FD showed me and sent me, so i played around with warping it and free transform. I wanted to go for this other look but it just didn't turn out the way i wanted it to.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

On the top design, try warping the S the other way, like the last O. Then it looks like a zigzag pattern.

I don't know, I'm struggling with my own identity design, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Wade-sig.png

you got some strange perspective going on there. intuitively you see the logo is supposed to have depth but it looks physically impossible at the same time.

i would try a few concepts using the sme idea but start over with the type. i dont think its working at the moment.

Archived