From ESPN, Dale Jr. To.....

buzzcut

I'm not the hugest NASCAR fan in the world, but I am a Jeff Gordon fan and always figured it was because he was a pretty big rival of Dale Sr.'s and he's from California.

I know it's not the definitive source but here's what it says on wikipedia...

Part of this schism in popularity is attributed to Gordon's "Madison Avenue" appeal, his apparent rivalry with Dale Earnhardt during the 1990s, and the resentment in the Deep South of perceived "Yankees." NASCAR for years had been a predominantly Southern sport, and many fans today attribute NASCAR's changes, not all of which are popular, to the influence of corporate sponsorships and the media.

IUe6Hvh.png

Part of this schism in popularity is attributed to Gordon's "Madison Avenue" appeal, his apparent rivalry with Dale Earnhardt during the 1990s, and the resentment in the Deep South of perceived "Yankees." NASCAR for years had been a predominantly Southern sport, and many fans today attribute NASCAR's changes, not all of which are popular, to the influence of corporate sponsorships and the media.

i hate him because he's a Chevy guy :D

I'm not the hugest NASCAR fan in the world, but I am a Jeff Gordon fan and always figured it was because he was a pretty big rival of Dale Sr.'s and he's from California.

Hmm, that makes sense I guess. Thanks.

Will definitely add an interesting dynamic to how Jr.'s fans treat Jeff Gordon.

I'm sure the will treat Jeff Gordon the same way, only they have to careful not to hit Dale Jr with beer bottles. :D I was hoping Jr. would join Michael Waltrip Racing and drive a Toyota :P. For the record I'm not much a NASCAR fan, but I am a bit of a Jeff Gordon fan.

I saw, I came, I left.

A little off topic, but I have to ask, as someone who's just recently gotten into NASCAR. Why all the hate for Jeff Gordon?

A lot of it is due to the fact that Gordon is from California via Indiana and even worse than that is he's actually articulate, and even more worse than that is that he's really, really good, and worst of all he had the audacity to win cup championships that should have gone to Dale Sr. and if not Dale Sr. then at least a guy from the south.

In short, most "good ole' boy" NASCAR fans hate Jeff Gordon. We're talking the IQ of 80, rebel flag, gun rack in the pickup truck crowd. Jeff doesn't go over well with the toothless rednecks. We all know that's 99% of the reason that certain fans hate Jeff Gordon. It's also why I am just thrilled that Jr. signed with Hendrick. I can't wait to see these beer throwing morons implode. And before everyone goes off on me let me say that I am a lifelong NASCAR fan but the truth is the truth when it comes to most of Jr.'s fans.

BB52Big.jpg

A little off topic, but I have to ask, as someone who's just recently gotten into NASCAR. Why all the hate for Jeff Gordon?

A lot of it is due to the fact that Gordon is from California via Indiana and even worse than that is he's actually articulate, and even more worse than that is that he's really, really good, and worst of all he had the audacity to win cup championships that should have gone to Dale Sr. and if not Dale Sr. then at least a guy from the south.

In short, most "good ole' boy" NASCAR fans hate Jeff Gordon. We're talking the IQ of 80, rebel flag, gun rack in the pickup truck crowd. Jeff doesn't go over well with the toothless rednecks. We all know that's 99% of the reason that certain fans hate Jeff Gordon. It's also why I am just thrilled that Jr. signed with Hendrick. I can't wait to see these beer throwing morons implode. And before everyone goes off on me let me say that I am a lifelong NASCAR fan but the truth is the truth when it comes to most of Jr.'s fans.

That's hitting the nail on the head. I'm heavily anticipating the reaction from those fans at the next race.

• 4 weeks later...

Junior will, apparently, not be sponsored by Budweiser next year either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?s...&id=2932210

Budweiser is eyeing Kasey Kahne. And Junior might end up sponsored by Pepsi.

Wow that will burn Jeff Gordon :D

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Junior will, apparently, not be sponsored by Budweiser next year either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?s...&id=2932210

Budweiser is eyeing Kasey Kahne. And Junior might end up sponsored by Pepsi.

Wow that will burn Jeff Gordon :D

Not really. Dupont is Gordon's primary sponsor and I am sure that some other sponsor will gladly jump in if Pepsi moves to Junior. Gordon won't be hurting for sponsors.

BB52Big.jpg

Based on the story, it sounds like Mountain Dew could be the primary sponsor of Junior's car. As much as Bud and Junior go together like Spaghetti and Meatballs, a move to PepsiCo could make him have a more well-rounded image with all age groups.

Pepsi already sponsors Hendrick - so it'd just be providing them a primary car, and probably taking away the Pepsi-themed special paint jobs from Gordon. Unless, of course, if Jr. is primarily sponsored by Dew.

interesting stuff, especially Bud possibly going to Kahne. Does this mean they'll share space with the Dodge-sponsored team, or move that primary deal only onto the 19 car? Hmm.

harperdc.gif

Junior can 'do the dew' and Pepsi and not take anything from Gordon....

Jeff still has his energy drink '24' which is made by Pepsi....

Looks like 'win win' to me!

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

Mountain Dew would seem to be an ideal choice for Junior. But, didn't Sony just agree to a deal to sponsor him in some way next year?

It's a personal services contract with Jr., nothing to do with Hendrick. Signed one with Addidas as well.

Archived