Nolan and Del Rio allowed to wear suits at all home games

GreenShoe

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Coach Mike Nolan will be a sharp-dressed man at all the San Francisco 49ers' home games this season.

Nolan and Jacksonville Jaguars coach Mike Del Rio got permission from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday to wear suits and ties to all eight of their clubs' regular-season home games in 2007.

Niners coach Mike Nolan wears a suit made by Reebok on the sideline, nearly two seasons after first requesting permission.

The dress-up detente was the result of nearly three years of negotiations among Nolan, the league and Reebok. Though the league determines what apparel can be worn on the sideline, Reebok provides that clothing for coaches -- from Bill Belichick's sleeveless sweatshirts to the black suit Nolan was allowed to wear in two games last season.

"As I mentioned before, I made this request out of the high amount of respect I have for the NFL, the San Francisco 49ers, my father and all of the former coaches who have worn suits," said Nolan, who's 11-20 in two seasons with the Niners.

Ever since he got the 49ers' top job in 2005, Nolan has sought permission to dress like his ex-coach father while projecting an image of authority. He got a trial run last year when both Nolan and Del Rio were allowed to suit up in coat-and-tie ensembles manufactured by Reebok during two home games.

But Nolan wanted to wear his old-school outfit at every home game. He saw the move as a tribute to the league's great coaches of the past -- including his father, Dick, who coached the 49ers from 1968-75 but is now in poor health with Alzheimer's disease and prostate cancer.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said other coaches also would be allowed to wear suits at home games if they desired -- though only Nolan and Del Rio expressed interest when the league surveyed the coaches during NFL meetings in Arizona in March.

"Commissioner Goodell made the decision to help," McCarthy said. "It was something that we re-evaluated, and we wanted to work with Coach Nolan and also open it up to other coaches."

Last week, Nolan expressed frustration with the league and Reebok over its reluctance to provide suits, saying the process was "ridiculous," and "they wish it would go away, but I try to keep it alive as much as I can."

Nolan's outfit last season consisted of a black suit, a white shirt and a red-and-gold striped tie. Goodell said the new Reebok outfits for the 2007 season must reflect team colors as well, though the details will be worked out later.

Nolan's quest attracted support from 49ers fans who backed an online movement to persuade every spectator to show up to the home opener wearing a suit and tie.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Forget Petrino lets hop Bellichick gets rid of the Buddy can you sapre a dime look and follows suit.

:D I do like this as well, and I have to agree about the stupid Reebok thing. Corporate sponsorship apparel agreements have gone too far. Just let Nolan and Del Rio go to the local Men's Warehouse for Christ's sake. These grown men can't dress themselves? The NFL has to be the most chicken :censored: league I've ever seen.

Forget Petrino lets hop Bellichick gets rid of the Buddy can you sapre a dime look and follows suit.

You are the only person I know of who associates sweatshirts as a look of a homeless person.

Sweatshirts are one thing cutoff old sweatshirts another kettle of fish

p1_belichick.jpg

e9edd25a21a54d1fbb73676ui7.jpg

MLB.com's real time all-time sortable team stats: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/historical/team_s...mp;sortByStat=L

I was looking that over, and how is it possible to have more games played than one team, but then have less innings pitched than the same team?

Could we get this to spread to MLB, too? Most managers look just plain silly in uniforms, Tony La Russa in particular. Bring back the classy ol' days of Connie Mack!

mackc9.jpg

You are the only person I know of who associates sweatshirts as a look of a homeless person.

Sweatshirts are one thing cutoff old sweatshirts another kettle of fish

p1_belichick.jpg

e9edd25a21a54d1fbb73676ui7.jpg

Gotta agree with Tank here. If I were some newcomer to the NFL, and I asked you to point me out to the head coach, and you point to that man wearing what he is, I would not take you or that team seriously.

Good on Nolan and Del Rio. They're gonna look fine on the sideline.

MLB.com's real time all-time sortable team stats: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/historical/team_s...mp;sortByStat=L

I was looking that over, and how is it possible to have more games played than one team, but then have less innings pitched than the same team?

Could we get this to spread to MLB, too? Most managers look just plain silly in uniforms, Tony La Russa in particular. Bring back the classy ol' days of Connie Mack!

mackc9.jpg

CONNIE MACK = TRUE PIMP! :D

Seriously, love the natty attire. Tired of the Belichick hobo look and the godawful omnipresent polo shirt on the rest of the coaches.

Seriously, only Del Rio and Nolan have an ounce of style? Sad.

Is it just me, or insn't this just a total farce to get Reebok into the headlines. Seriously, even last season, why would Reebok send time to create business suits for the first time ever (for jut two games then)? I think the coaches had suits they wanted to wear or had tehm custom made and then had a Reebok mark put on inside the coat jacket. Do you think that Goodell wore a Reebok branded sport coat for this year's draft? (He did not wear a suit and Tags rarely wore a suit for the draft as well). I think not. The NFL is just trying to save face with Adidas/Reebok who never thought that coaches may want to wear "their Sunday Best" on the sidelines.

FYI, MLB managers must wear a uniform or at least the base coaches do (a rule since 1957). Why have another guy in chinos who is not their team trainer? They (most trainers) look poorly dressed as it is.

While I understand the value for the Sponsor (here: Reebok) to have coaches wear their apparels (fans will buy "Sideline" clothing) I find absolutely ridiculous that a man needs permission to dress sharp.

I personnally would like to see a rule that prevents the head coach from wearing sweats or trainers on the sidelines during the games. It's not a practice where they actually perform exercises...

I too believe Belichick looks like a hobo. I'm willin gto bet he doesn't even own a suit nor would he know where to go buy one...

The fact that this is even "news" shows just how ridiculously far away from the actual game of football the NFL has gotten. Why does anyone even give a damn what somebody on the sidelines is wearing? Last time I checked, people pay tickets to see what happens on the field. Not to give fashion critiques to the coaches or players who aren't active.

And to think leagues such as the AFL are criticized for selling the sizzle and not the steak. But when the NFL decides to bombard us with corporate sponsorship, luxury suites, fancy scoreboards and fireworks, it's somehow accepted.

I think NFL coaches wearing suits is damn near as silly as MLB managers wearing uniforms. It's a football game not an insurance seminar. The look NFL coaches have now (Bellichick excluded) is the perfect match to the sport they're coaching. Baseball should look into it.

For as much ballbusting as there is going to be about people rushing out to buy their Reebok 2-piece suits, am I the only one who remembers the days when Billy Cunningham coached the 76ers in a blazer with a comically-oversized Nike logo on the breast pocket? I wish I had pictures, but I would bet my life on it. Reebok isn't Armani, and I can't see myself rockin' a Reebok suit on the job, but I am 100,000% in favor of allowing the coaches to dress like professional leaders of men on the sideline. It conjures up authority in the form of Lombardi, Landry and Stram. If the price we have to pay to return to that air of dignity and class is Reebok branding the suits just a lil' bit, so be it.

Is it just me, or insn't this just a total farce to get Reebok into the headlines. Seriously, even last season, why would Reebok send time to create business suits for the first time ever (for jut two games then)? I think the coaches had suits they wanted to wear or had tehm custom made and then had a Reebok mark put on inside the coat jacket. Do you think that Goodell wore a Reebok branded sport coat for this year's draft? (He did not wear a suit and Tags rarely wore a suit for the draft as well). I think not. The NFL is just trying to save face with Adidas/Reebok who never thought that coaches may want to wear "their Sunday Best" on the sidelines.

FYI, MLB managers must wear a uniform or at least the base coaches do (a rule since 1957). Why have another guy in chinos who is not their team trainer? They (most trainers) look poorly dressed as it is.

I think the rule is that only team officials in uniform (except, apparently, trainers) can go onto the field. So if, for instance, Ned Yost wanted to wear a suit on the bench, he could, but then he couldn't step out onto the field -- his pitching coach would have to make pitching changes, for instance.

Archived