Calgary Flames to hire Mike Keenan as coach

spyboy1

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10224981

TORONTO -- The Calgary Flames have hired Mike Keenan as their new head coach, the Canadian Press reported Wednesday.

The Canadian Press, citing unidentified sources, reported an official announcement is expected Thursday or Friday.

Current Flames coach Jim Playfair will remain with the organization.

The Flames went 43-25-10, finishing eighth in the Western Conference last season under Playfair. They lost to the Detroit Red Wings in six games in the first round of the playoffs.

Keenan has 569 victories in 1,014 games as an NHL head coach.

He won the Jack Adams trophy awarded to the league's top coach in 1985 after leading the Philadelphia Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals. He also took the Chicago Blackhawks to the Cup finals in 1992, and won the Cup with the New York Rangers in 1994.

As a Wild fan, I'm all for this mayhem and chaos that Keenan brings wherever he goes. It would be a good thing for the Wild to have Kiprusoff and Iginla traded out of Calgary as soon as possible, as Keenan has a history of cleaning house of current players, who are obviously "the problem" with the situation that he inherits from the prior coach, and bringing in "his guys", hard working players with inferior and often limited skills compared to those he trades away.

Hasn't his tired old act gotten shorter and shorter with each stay since he left the Rangers and the last sniff of success he's had?

Fasten your seatbelts Calgary, Iron Mike is about to take you on a rollercoaster ride to depths of the division.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

TORONTO -- The Calgary Flames have hired Mike Keenan as their new head coach, the Canadian Press reported Wednesday.

The Canadian Press, citing unidentified sources, reported an official announcement is expected Thursday or Friday.

The Flames went 43-25-10, finishing eighth in the Western Conference last season under Playfair. They lost to the Detroit Red Wings in six games in the first round of the playoffs.

He won the Jack Adams trophy awarded to the league's top coach in 1985 after leading the Philadelphia Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals. He also took the Chicago Blackhawks to the Cup finals in 1992, and won the Cup with the New York Rangers in 1994.

As a Wild fan, I'm all for this mayhem and chaos that Keenan brings wherever he goes. It would be a good thing for the Wild to have Kiprusoff and Iginla traded out of Calgary as soon as possible, as Keenan has a history of cleaning house of current players, who are obviously "the problem" with the situation that he inherits from the prior coach, and bringing in "his guys", hard working players with inferior and often limited skills compared to those he trades away.

Hasn't his tired old act gotten shorter and shorter with each stay since he left the Rangers and the last sniff of success he's had?

Fasten your seatbelts Calgary, Iron Mike is about to take you on a rollercoaster ride to depths of the division.

I saw that S.O.B at a McDonalds just outside of the Bank Atlantic Center last summer...I should have punched him in the gut just for the hell of it. Good luck with him in Calgary.

He did coach the only Ranger cup team of my lifetime. Outside of that though...um....good luck w/ that...

<_<:mad::cursing:

speaking of which, i thought Darryl sutter was still coach of the team and when did playfair get to be head coach? This actually is news to me.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I agree with you 100% on this spyboy. I still can't understand why he keeps getting jobs in the NHL, especially after he pulls trades like Bertuzzi, Allen, & Auld for Luongo, Krajicek, and Sergei Shirokov.

iGLssSH.png

Thing is, this doesn't mention anything about Keenan being GM. So I assume D. Sutter is remaining as GM.

When Keenan went ape(crap) on teams rosters, he had full control.

Keenan-Sutter should be an interesting relationship.

Keenan reeked havoc on the Blues during his term with us--or so it seemed. A look back on his moves shows an incredible gaining of talent with some great rosters. One roster, in 1996, that probably competes for the Stanley Cup if Grant Fuhr doesn't have his knee intentionally taken out in round one.

Keenan's a smart hockey man who rubs a lot of people the wrong way. You probably won't like his methods, but you might end up with a Cup.

Also, one of my favorite quotes comes from one of the guys Keenan rubbed the wrong way--Brett Hull...

"I wouldn't p*ss in his ear if his brain was on fire." --Brett Hull, when asked about his current feelings about Mike Keenan, on JC Corcoran's Showgram (11.30.06)

He did coach the only Ranger cup team of my lifetime. Outside of that though...um....good luck w/ that...

He also made the Black Hawks an "elite" team during his time there including an appearance in the '92 Cup finals.

This is bad for the Flames he seems to rip teams apart where ever he goes since leaving the Rangers. Look for Iginla and Kipprussoff to end up wanting out after 1 year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

He also made the Black Hawks an "elite" team during his time there including an appearance in the '92 Cup finals.

True but the dude hasn't won a play off series since 94. Thirteen years of failure kind of wipes away alot of the sucess. That was a pretty good Hawks team too, with Roenick, Chelios and Belfour in their primes. As a Canucks fan, I say to the Flames "Thanks!"

This is going to be an unmitigated disaster. Keenan, aside from being a jerk, is out of touch with modern athletes. This is a man who treated the classiest guy in Canuck's history like crap, though I suppose I can forgive him for handing us Luongo on a silver platter. Not that that trade says much about Keenan's ability as a hockey man.

I eagerly await the Jerome Iginila trade demand after about forty games. B)

He won a series in '96, and as I said would have had a darn good shot at another Cup if Grant Fuhr hadn't been cheapshotted out.

Afterall, he lost to the eventual Cup Champion Red Wings 1-0 in double overtime of game seven on a shot from behind the blueline by Yzerman that beat backup goalie (though he played great for the most part) Jon Casey.

That said, it's hard to defend the man.

interesting little side story here....

about five or so years ago the sharks hosted the panthers in a penalty filled contest in which the sharks won in a convincing manner.

as the officials were attempting to gain control of one of those high emotion incidents, one of the referees skated over to the benches to speak to the coaches. Panthers coach Mike Keenan and Sharks coach Darryl Sutter had a heated exchange and nearly came to blows.

of course, Keenan now coaches the Flames and the GM he is now working for is of course.....Darryl Sutter.

Mike Keenan the coach: Pretty good if he has the talent (which he does in Calgary)

Mike Keenan the GM: The Luongo Trade. 'Nuff said.

Good thing they're just getting the coach.

The big, big problem with Keenan the Coach is that he wants to be the GM and the Coach and the minute you hire him as just the coach, the politics and disruptive internal struggles begin to erode the organization from within and if he doesn't win, he's gone in no more than 1 1/2 seasons with everyone upset. And if he wins, he's gone in 2 1/2 seasons, leaving a smoking pile in his wake.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Best of luck, Flames.

Unfortunately, the hiring didn't come with the Wayback Machine you're going to need to make Keenan a decent coach. For everyone touting his success in Chicago and New York - you do realize that all happened almost 15 years ago, right? This is 2007, and the most recent portions of Keenan's resume contain the parts where he ran team after team into the ground, like an NHL Isiah Thomas. But 15 years ago, this guy will be the greatest coach the Flames could hire.

:blink:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived