Bruins Relieve Dave Lewis and Marc Habscheid......

BRUINSFAN

Jun 15, 2007, 5:43 PM EDT

BOSTON, MA ? Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that the club has relieved Head Coach Dave Lewis and Associate Coach Marc Habscheid of their coaching duties, and will reassign them to other positions within the club.

?Since the season has ended I have completed a thorough review of the team and the coaching staff, and I have determined that Dave Lewis and Marc Habscheid are not the proper fit for the Bruins at this time,? said Chiarelli. ?I have a short list of candidates in mind, and I hope to have a new Head Coach in place in the near future.

?I want to thank Dave and Marc for their hard work and dedication this past year, and I am certain that they will have success in their future endeavors.?

Lewis, who became the 27th head coach in Bruins history on June 29, 2006, finished the 2006-2007 season with a record of 35-41-6. Prior to joining the Bruins, Lewis served as the Head Coach of the Detroit Red Wings from 2002-2004, where he amassed a record of 96-41-21-6.

Habscheid was named to Dave Lewis? staff on July 13, 2006 following two years as the Head Coach of Canada?s National Men?s team.

Doug Houda, the third member of the Bruins 2006-2007 coaching staff, will remain in his position.

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

Bruins talked to Milbury before firing...

Posted: Saturday June 16, 2007 07:42AM ET

Sources have told The Post (NY Post) that mercurial Mike Milbury, who two weeks ago left his ceremonial front-office position with the Islanders, has interviewed for the Bruins' head-coaching position. Milbury, whom The Post has learned has interviewed for the post as long as 10 days ago, coached the Bruins to 101- and 100-point seasons in 1989-90 and 1990-91, respectively.

The plot thickens...

Ray Bourque is not walking threw that door fans, Cam Neely is not walking threw that door fans, Adam Oates is not walking threw that door fans, and for the love of god DO NOT let Mike Milbury walk threw that door....

"mercurial" is the key word in this post.

After Lewis "mercurial" might be what my home team is looking for...

Let's see what happens....

We need a break or a change!

Still not official, yet out of Boston!

He got them to round 3 in the '90-'91 season!

Since Gerry Cheevers ended his 5 year run as coach in '85, the Bruins have had 11 coaches (not counting coaching stints of GMs Harry Sinden and Mike O'Connell). Only three of the these 11 coaches were given, roughly, 3 years behind the bench (Terry O'Reilly, Brian Sutter, Pat Burns). In between, we were treated to 1+ year of Butch Goring, 2 years of Mike Milbury, 1 year of Rick Bowness, 2 years of Steve Kasper, -1 year of Mike Keenan, 2 years of Robbie Ftorek, 2 years of Mike Sullivan and 1 year of Dave Lewis.

This team is never going to build anything if they keep starting over every 1 or 2 years.

Posted: June 18, 2007

Associated Press

BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins have targeted their top choice to be the next coach.

It's a tenuous position, one that no one has held for more than three seasons in the past 30 years. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli hopes to name a successor to Dave Lewis -- fired after just one season -- before Friday's draft in Columbus.

"I think I've got a guy in mind," Chiarelli said Monday.

In the past 30 years, 16 men have held the job. Harry Sinden had two stints, and Mike Sullivan served three seasons but was cast aside in favor of Lewis after Chiarelli became general manager. Chiarelli was hired on May 26 last year but continued at the Ottawa Senators' insistence as their assistant general manager until July 10.

When Lewis was hired June 29 from among five candidates, Chiarelli described the former Detroit head coach as a "highly motivated, team-focused, NHL coach."

Now, Chiarelli said, "I've got it narrowed down to four (candidates). I'll be making a decision shortly" although he's "close" to working out contract details with one of them

Chiarelli wants a tougher team and may have looked at two former head coaches -- former Bruins and New York Islanders coach Mike Milbury and Claude Julien, fired as New Jersey's coach with three games left in the regular season. Scott Gordon, coach of Boston's top affiliate at Providence of the AHL, also could be in the mix.

One important factor in the search was for someone who can relate to young players and may have familiarity with some.

"That's important because we do have existing young players (in Boston) and we've got some young players in Providence that are close," Chiarelli said. "There has to be a track record of that there."

Bruins executive vice president Charlie Jacobs didn't think the short tenures of past coaches -- the Bruins will be hiring their sixth in this century -- would dissuade a candidate from taking the job.

"If you speak to a candidate in the National Hockey League about coaching an Original Six franchise, namely the Boston Bruins, I think there's quite an allure to it," he said.

Last year's hirings of Chiarelli and Lewis were part of a shake-up of an organization that hasn't won a Stanley Cup championship since 1972. Sinden left as president and Jeff Gorton, named interim general manager after Mike O'Connell was fired, stepped aside when Chiarelli took over but remained in the front office.

That transition continued throughout the season as Chiarelli kept obtaining new players. Last Friday, Lewis became part of it again when he lost the coaching job but remained in the organization in an undetermined capacity.

Chiarelli said he spoke with all four candidates "at length," and Jacobs said Chiarelli will make the choice.

"There will be no second guessing of the next selection" by management, Jacobs said. "I have faith that Peter will make it work."

Archived