Muckler Fired

Brass

From TSN.ca

According to the Toronto Sun, the Ottawa Senators have fired general manager John Muckler.

Muckler wouldn't discuss the issue with the paper, directing all inquiries to Senators owner Eugene Melnyk.

"I haven't been told anything," Muckler told the Sun when asked about potential changes.

But two senior NHL executives told Sun Media they believe Melnyk gave Muckler his walking papers on Friday.

The Sun notes that Melnyk's spokesman, Ken Villazor, would not deny the report, saying "the owner has released a statement that he was reviewing all management with the club."

Melnyk's statement, to TSN's Bob McKenzie on Friday, was as follows:

"We are continuing to have ongoing discussions with management on the future direction and therefore the roles of everyone at the senior level. We had a great year and I am very proud of what my team has achieved. Saying that, I am always evaluating what we can do, both short term and long term, to continue the momentum and lead us to a Stanley Cup victory next year and for years to come."

The Senators had 105 points in the regular season, finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference, and reached the Stanley Cup final, where they were defeated by the Anaheim Ducks in five games.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Stupid move on the part of the Sens. He assembled a pretty good team... if anything, the blame for their Stanley Cup Final choking should fall onto the lap of Murry, not the GM who put together the team that got that far to begin with. Mind you, I'm happy any time anything negative happens to that team but this move... imo... is just stupid and may come back to bite them in the ass. The only real bad thing he did was sign Gerber to that contract, otherwise he put together a relativly solid team...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Wait is it official because I read in today's paper it was a rumour that he had been fired.

If it's true, one of the dumbest moves ever obviously we weren't too far off with our team.

Sorry Muckler, prediction is he'll find himself as a GM for the leafs soon...

Hi, how are you?

Real Smart Sens...real smart...

Says the guy who's GM was a mediocre backup goalie. :P

The update from TSN is that no one is either denying or acknowledging that he has been fired or that there is a front office shakeup in the works. It is all kind of crazy to me... really, if anyone should be canned, it should be Bryan Murry... he was the one who was in direct charge of how the players should perform on the ice... and he obviously choked just as hard as his players once they reached the finals. I'm sure we will get an answer to all this madness soon enough.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Neither Muarry or Muckler should be fired, they both did a great job this year and this team has so much pottential it stupid to make a change like this. I wonder If what happened to Muckler is like what happened to Brian Burke here in Vancouver, where the owner didnt get along with the gm. I bet Muarry takes over at gm though.

Neither Muarry or Muckler should be fired, they both did a great job this year and this team has so much pottential it stupid to make a change like this. I wonder If what happened to Muckler is like what happened to Brian Burke here in Vancouver, where the owner didnt get along with the gm.

In other words, this was a Jerry Jones/Jimmy Johnson-type thing? Jones fired Johnson as Dallas Cowboys coach in '94 after Johnson's teams had just won two straight Super Bowls.

CCSLC signature.png

Wasn't Muckler part of the Sabres front office that fired Ted Nolan after he won coach of the year?

Please tell me he was.

Yes he was the GM then. I believe both Nolan and Muckler were fired after that season and the current regime of Regier and Ruff were brought in.

Im starting to think these are all rumors.

If not maybe he got canned cause they saw what kind of team Murray put together in Anaheim in such little time...

If hes gone and murray is GM bring in Mr. Cunneyworth!

TSN.ca - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211095&hubname=

OTTAWA (CP) - Amid a report that his job is on the line, Ottawa Senators general manager John Muckler was keeping quiet Sunday.

''I cannot talk at this time,'' Muckler said when reached by The Canadian Press. An Ottawa Senators spokesman also refused to comment on reports that there is front-office shakeup in the works.

The 73-year-old Muckler was fired Saturday, according to a Sun Media report, with an announcement of his departure expected as early as Sunday.

There's also speculation Bryan Murray, whose contract as head coach expires June 30, could be promoted to GM.

''I can't really say anything at this point,'' Murray told CP.

Two senior NHL executives speaking to Sun Media said they believe Senators owner Eugene Melnyk gave Muckler his walking papers on Friday.

Senators president Roy Mlakar told the newspaper that Muckler's future will be decided by ''the end of the weekend.''

The Sun notes that Melnyk's spokesman, Ken Villazor, would not deny the report, saying "the owner has released a statement that he was reviewing all management with the club."

"We are continuing to have ongoing discussions with management on the future direction and therefore the roles of everyone at the senior level. We had a great year and I am very proud of what my team has achieved. Saying that, I am always evaluating what we can do, both short term and long term, to continue the momentum and lead us to a Stanley Cup victory next year and for years to come."

The Senators went an impressive 48-25-9 in the regular season, and advanced to the Stanley Cup final, shaking off the tag of post-season underachievers. But they seemed to run out of steam in the final, losing to the Anaheim Ducks in five games.

Despite the disappointing final result, at the end-of-season news conference, Muckler, who has one year left on his contract, said he had every intention of returning for his final year and had no desire to leave.

''I'm having too much fun,'' he told reporters.

Muckler, a five-time Stanley Cup winner with the Edmonton Oilers, joined the Senators in June of 2002.

The Sens GM also said at the wrap-up news conference he wanted to stick with Murray. The two started contract talks when the season ended, and the staffing picture was expected to become clearer by the time teams gather for the draft that begins Friday in Columbus.

''I'm a coach and being the coach is what I expect I'll be if I'm anything,'' Murray said then.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

If not maybe he got canned cause they saw what kind of team Murray put together in Anaheim in such little time...

OTTAWA (CP) - Amid a report that his job is on the line, Ottawa Senators general manager John Muckler was keeping quiet Sunday.

''I cannot talk at this time,'' Muckler said when reached by The Canadian Press. An Ottawa Senators spokesman also refused to comment on reports that there is front-office shakeup in the works.

The 73-year-old Muckler was fired Saturday, according to a Sun Media report, with an announcement of his departure expected as early as Sunday.

There's also speculation Bryan Murray, whose contract as head coach expires June 30, could be promoted to GM.

Two senior NHL executives speaking to Sun Media said they believe Senators owner Eugene Melnyk gave Muckler his walking papers on Friday.

Senators president Roy Mlakar told the newspaper that Muckler's future will be decided by ''the end of the weekend.''

The Senators went an impressive 48-25-9 in the regular season, and advanced to the Stanley Cup final, shaking off the tag of post-season underachievers. But they seemed to run out of steam in the final, losing to the Anaheim Ducks in five games.

Despite the disappointing final result, at the end-of-season news conference, Muckler, who has one year left on his contract, said he had every intention of returning for his final year and had no desire to leave.

Muckler, a five-time Stanley Cup winner with the Edmonton Oilers, joined the Senators in June of 2002.

The Sens GM also said at the wrap-up news conference he wanted to stick with Murray. The two started contract talks when the season ended, and the staffing picture was expected to become clearer by the time teams gather for the draft that begins Friday in Columbus.

''I'm a coach and being the coach is what I expect I'll be if I'm anything,'' Murray said then.

ok...... :therock:

I already knew that...I just said I think it'll end up being nothing...

Hi, how are you?

ok...... :therock:

I already knew that...I just said I think it'll end up being nothing...

FYI, Murray did NOT put that Anaheim team together. Burke did, almost the entire roster that won the cup was brought in when Burke took control of the team. All Murray did was put together a bunch of players that over achieved one season. So unless they want to downgrade the Sens line up... I wouldn't want Murray as a GM... mind you... that doesn't sound too bad of an idea.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Sorry Muckler, prediction is he'll find himself as a GM for the leafs soon...

If only MLSE were that competent...sadly it seems they're content to ride the JFJ train and see where that takes them :cry:

Closer to the bottom of the standings if the hockey gods are listening to my prayers.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Archived