Colorado Rockies Concept Based off of Klydefrog's Idea

McCall

As some of you may have seen, I posted a Rockies' logo concept in Klydefrog's thread, based as a suggestion for what he should do with his. Well, one thing led to another, and I turned it into a whole logo-uni set. I asked for, and recieved, his permission before I even dared post this, because it was based off of HIS idea and so I credit him for thinking of it, the diamond/mountain idea, cuz I guarantee you I would not have on my own, more than likely. I meant to change the mountain ridges so they don't look so much like the Utah Jazz, but didn't get around to it. This will never even come close to seeing the light of day, as far as actually being used, so I'm not too worried about them.

I had trouble coming up with a hat logo. This is the latest one and decided to go with it. Everything else is rather self-explanatory so just let me know.

Colorado-Rockies-Primary-1.png

Colorado-Rockies-1.png

Colorado-Rockies.png

Okay... let "it" fly.

Oh and, yes, I'm guilty of drop shadowing. Maybe unnecessary, maybe not. Decide for yourself.

Great gob man, but I don't know if the cap logo and the primary logo are up to par with their current set. I do love the emphasis on purple. When done right, a team can look great. You did it right.

The wordmarks on the uniforms seem a bit... generic... for some reason.

Normally I would cringe if I heard a concept used a double border AND a dropshadow on the uni numbers, but you pulled it off really well.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

The cap logo isn't very good, and I feel comfortable saying that because everything else is great. The primary is grade A, and the wordmarks are very good also.

I guess I'm inverted from some people, cause I really like the cap logo, but the arching on the lettering on the front of the jerseys looks unnatural and forced to me. Maybe it's the template or the way it's on the screen, but I don't think it looks right at all.

Generally speaking, this is how you do a Rockies concept. Very nice all around, and in general terms an upgrade over what the Rockies have now.

However, one thing the Rockies do right is their jersey script. If you're going to go with anything like what both your concept and the Rockies use for their main jersey script, then it would be better to go with letters on a radial arc than a simple vertical arch. The letters will be more readable, you'll preserve the shapes to better match the cap logo, and with this kind of serif lettering the jersey will just have a cleaner look.

As evidence, does anyone remember when the Giants adopted almost exactly the font used in this concept with pretty much exactly this style of vertically arched lettering for the home script? You ever see fans walking around in that jersey? Nah, me either. No reason to repeat the mistake here. Shrink the letters just a bit so they can have a little more breathing space, then arrange them on a radial arc like the Rockies do now, and you'll have an absolute killer, they-ought-to-wear-these-tomorrow concept.

20082614447.png

Great job. As stated before, love the emphasis on purple. At quick glance I love the cap logo. The connection between the C and the mountain could use some work, but it's nothing that ruins the concept. The one thing that must be changed is the color of the C for the purple cap. When the C and the mountain are the same color they blend into each other and make it hard to read.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Thanks you guys. On the hat logo, I messed around with different things, and different variations to the final one. I'm not in love with it either, but it's what I had done when I ran out of time to do it. Believe me, I'll be doing some tweaking with it once I have another chance.

As far as the vertical arching on the logo/wordmarks, yeah, I kinda preferred the radial arc, but went with this mainly because it was different than the current, but I think I'll probably change it.

As for the triple thick-with-drop shadow numerals, I'd like to avoid those, if possible. But for some reason, I just thought they fit well with the way I did the outlining on the wordmarks. Though I DO need to reduce the overall thickness of them, because, after looking at them again, those are some thick-@$$ numbers.

Anyways, thanks all for the compliments and comments. I'll try and re-work them when I have the oppurtunity to get on Illustrator again. Until then...

Archived